The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable ham radio station - HF, VHF, UHF  (Read 3265 times)

Bear

• Curious Bear
Portable ham radio station - HF, VHF, UHF
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:18:14 pm »

For the last EmComm class we had to bring our radio gear
and set up in the parking lot for a 'show and tell'. This is
my radio gear.

(from left to right)

3 cinder blocks to act as guy wire anchors for buddipole antenna mast.

Black bag with Buddipole antenna (2m to 40m bands), 16' mast, tripod, coaxial cable, chords to secure mast, additional
attachments to arrange elements in other than dipole arrangement.

Second black bag with folding table.

4 band antenna (10m, 6m, 2m, 440 Mhz (70cm)) for VHF/UHF radio. (sitting on top of folding table).

2 mast sections for VHF/UHF radio.

Tripod for VHF/UHF mast - was for a roof mounted antenna.

Deep cycle battery with home made cable with Anderson Powerpole connector.

Laptop computer. This has a couple of cables attached to it when set up. One cable set goes to the
VHF/UHF radio and runs packet using OutPost PM. (Email over ham radio). The other cable set goes
to the HF radio, and let's me run digital modes (PSK, BPSK, QPSK, etc.)

Box full of documents and forms required for doing ARES work when FEMA is involved. :(

3 boxes:
   1) VHF radio. Radio manual. Kantronics KPC 3+ TNC for doing packet. Cables to connect TNC, computer and radio.
       Power chord modified to use Anderson Powerpole connector. Microphone.
   2) HF radio. Radio manual. Cable to connect HF radio to laptop to run digital modes. Power chord modified to use
       Anderson Powerpole connectors.
   3) 50' and 100' coaxial cables. Microphone for HF radio. Headset. Tool box. Parts box.

Luggage carrier for radio boxes.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:20:11 pm by Bear »
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Jeffersoniantoo

• Green Valley Gulch, MYOBLand
    • Freedom Port: Firefly
Re: Portable ham radio station - HF, VHF, UHF
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 06:02:52 am »

Nice!!!

:mellow:
"Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful easily break through them."

-- Anacharsis - (Scythian philosopher - 600 B.C.)

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:14:21 am »

Nice!!!

:mellow:

Thank you.

This year the Pony Express Re-Ride is traveling from West to East. I'm part of a ham radio
group which provides communications for the Re-Ride as it passes through Nevada.

http://www.cvhams.com/2012-pony-express.htm

My assignment is to act as a communications relay station in Eastern Nevada, North of Ely.
If the pony is on time, the horse and rider will enter my section about 8PM Friday, and arrive
at my location for the hand off of the mail about 2:30 AM Saturday.

I will be listening on the 2m band for reports from the 4x4 following the horse and rider and
relay that info back to the base station in Carson Valley (Western side of Nevada). There is
a vehicle following the horse at night this year as it turns out that it's the dark of the new moon. :(

I've got some time off before the event, so I'm going to take an overnight trip out to Ely to see
if the road is good enough to take my travel trailer, and set up and test the radio gear you see
in the picture. Sort of a sanity check.

Bear
-- Bear

Paradude54

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:15:29 pm »

I went to my first EmComm class a few weeks ago and learned a good bit.  I'll be QRP in Colorado for a couple of months this summer, June & July.  I've got a full set-up in my Jeep, but I'd much rather sit under some shade and play with the QRP rig, a battery and a solar panel just to see what it'll do.  And I've now got a Buddipole that I'll be trying out as well.  I hope that I'll get the chance to test it before I leave, but about all that I've been able to do time wise so far is take a look at it in the house. 

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »

I went to my first EmComm class a few weeks ago and learned a good bit.  I'll be QRP in Colorado for a couple of months this summer, June & July.  I've got a full set-up in my Jeep, but I'd much rather sit under some shade and play with the QRP rig, a battery and a solar panel just to see what it'll do.  And I've now got a Buddipole that I'll be trying out as well.  I hope that I'll get the chance to test it before I leave, but about all that I've been able to do time wise so far is take a look at it in the house.

We should try a 20m contact some time this summer. I'm to the West of you in Nevada. If you
put your Buddipole on a West-facing slope, you can improve your 'take off' angle and make up
some what, for not having it higher in the air.

I just recently got a multiband wire antenna, which I will be installing after the Pony Express re-ride
in June. Unfortunately, because of the shape of the lot, etc., it will probably be an NVIS antenna.
We can at least give it a try and see how it goes.

Send me a PM if/when you are want to try this.

Bear

-- Bear
Pages: [1]   Go Up