The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steganography  (Read 7272 times)

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
Steganography
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:31:39 pm »

"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." ľMayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
Re: Steganography
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:29:21 am »

Grist for more antigun legislation?  I have always believed the best and real DHS is any cititzen armed, trained and educated about terrorism with no governmental ties other than the acknoledgement of his natural rights to life and self defense.......
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.┬  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.┬  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 12:40:13 pm »

You and me. I've always felt that the best way for us to protect ourselves was and still is... us.

Everyone should be able to carry anywhere. Yes, even on the airliners, I rather have people armed and able to defend for their own self interests than to rely on some government employee who only qualify once a year, if he/she managed to put the doughnut down long enough.

I did find it interesting the the guy managed to figure out the terrorist's password.

S.
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." ľMayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:51:17 pm »

I did find it interesting the the guy managed to figure out the terrorist's password.

Lemme guess, at least part of it had to do with religious zealotry.  Allah, Allahu, Fatwah, Intifada, Qafir, anything else one cares to guess?

Most people's passwords and passphrases tend to be related to that which they care about, else they forget them.  This is especially true of the zealous types.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:08:29 pm »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/30/world/al-qaeda-documents-future/?hpt=hp_c1
                           Brings up:
                      502 Bad Gateway

Any other link available?
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Polearm

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 03:17:36 pm »

Steganography needs a program to insert the information into the carrier.  The same type of system was used by the 11 Russian (SVR) illegals in 2010.  They were found to be lazy, which didn't help once the FBI were on to them. 

The couple (actually married, with kids) from NJ were using a laptop with their issue program on it.  When the FBI executed a search warrant, the 22 character password was found on a "stickie" next to the computer.  The entire mess is being hailed in Russian spy circles as how not to conduct yourself.

I'm guessing Khyeron isn't far off from what was being used.
R.J.
audax et celer

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 03:42:22 pm »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/30/world/al-qaeda-documents-future/?hpt=hp_c1
                           Brings up:
                      502 Bad Gateway

Any other link available?

OK    Now it comes up.

I wonder what the bad gateway thing was about?
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

• Given up.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:14:44 pm »

Steganography needs a program to insert the information into the carrier.  The same type of system was used by the 11 Russian (SVR) illegals in 2010.  They were found to be lazy, which didn't help once the FBI were on to them. 

The couple (actually married, with kids) from NJ were using a laptop with their issue program on it.  When the FBI executed a search warrant, the 22 character password was found on a "stickie" next to the computer.  The entire mess is being hailed in Russian spy circles as how not to conduct yourself.

I'm guessing Khyeron isn't far off from what was being used.

Oh, forgot the stickied password next to the monitor.  Pretty impressive, really.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Rarick

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 07:36:59 am »

I do not pick a word, I pick a phrase, and then mangle it into something rememorable by me.  Like that teenage girl who ran away from home to live with the 7 midgets.......  now figure out a password from that.......  Meantime it is easy making a double reference thru a disney fairytale that could have any number of memory associational passwords for an individual.......

Then again a wired tech editor got his account hacked doing much the same thing, but a good guessing algorthim may have a way of determining "Typical" human memory patterns.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.┬  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.┬  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

• Given up.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:17:18 pm »

For sites and places that do not matter to me, my passphrases are pretty simple (10 to 100 characters, usually some saying that I say to nobody else but is memorable to me.)

For sites and places that do have meaning... we're talking about a whole other ball game, and I won't be explaining how I derive, nor how I remember such things.  ;)  Swipe cards and masked swipe cards work well, so long as your login system requires that "possession secret" and some "known secret" combined.  A great example is a hash derived from a crypted secret on a passkey and a password.  That way, the badguys would have to be pretty prone to rubber hosing your ass to get your stuff.

Rarick

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:25:31 am »

Ohhh, painful.   yeah a large hash file "Key" and your own set of secret codes kept inside the skull seems to be the most secure tactic right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up