The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: This is Waaayyyy Cool!  (Read 10498 times)

Alton Speers

This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« on: January 11, 2005, 08:48:57 am »

Well this is my first venture out on to the wild&woolly net net using SimplyMEPIS LiveCD and Comcast cable net. Didn't have to configure a thing. I clicked on the Mozilla Browser and Voila! Here I be! This is just way too cool! Thanks to everyone for the tips on the liveCDs. I have others to try out before I make my choice of OS. I picked the following:
SimplyMEPIS
Mandrake Move
Knoppix 3.6(7?)
GenToo
Vector
SuSE

They all came from Linuxcentral.com. I've already looked at Knoppix and I have yet to load the others. So far I am VERY impressed. Once I get past the razzle-dazzle of new toys and the bells and whistles I'll take time to plumb the depths of actual utility. For now though I'll just enjoy the groove.

Alton

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 09:35:45 am »

Alton,

The most intimidating thing I've found about linux is the screens of actual "real info" about ones hardware that scroll past while the machine is booting.
After that it's all gravy

And I'd like to mention yet another live CD distribution from www.pclinuxonline.com.
This one is slightly different in that everything is "compressed" on the cdrom and they pack almost 2 gigs of software on the cdrom(standard cdrom).
Girlfriend found this one, and displayed some interest, so I grabbed it and burned her a copy(but tried it myself first).
On my machine(an ancient 300Mhz AMD) it ran SLOW(due to decompression of apps before running them), but on her 1.7Ghz machine it ran ok....and the only thing it didn't get right was it didn't detect and configure her ethernet card(realtek 8139c).........and it's setup to allow one to store config data on one of those USB flash drives
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Alton Speers

This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 11:09:14 am »

Something else that's real cool, my net connection and surfing are faster with Linux than Ineternet exploder. Don't understand why but, I like it!  Wow! I can watch vid clips and even hear net radio without the endless pauses waiting for more packets to download and compile.

I really like the flexibility of this Mozilla browser. I can clear out these toolbars, bookmarks are a breeze and I really like the fact that I have quick and easy access to managing cookies and other junk.

In looking through all of the included stuff that comes with SimplyMEPIS I found this little applet called KStars. This is just too cool! A little astronomy applet that is amazingly versatile. It's just like....well, like they knew what I wanted!

Excuse my giddiness but, this is like Christmas all over again! I think I'll go have some more fun! :D

Alton

Bear

• Curious Bear
This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 12:06:23 pm »

The 'real info' you see that scrolls by on boot is also saved to a log file. It's most
useful if things don't work quite right. You can read the log file and see what the
kernel thought it found. Compare it to what you know to be correct.

Check out /var/log/messages* or /var/log/boot*

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Junker

This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 12:15:53 pm »

Excellent report...your fun and how well Linux many times works on any machine. It is that good. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 05:07:13 pm by Junker »

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 04:56:02 pm »

Excuse my giddiness but, this is like Christmas all over again! I think I'll go have some more fun!

Lol! I know exactly what you mean. I did the same thing when I first got SuSE running. "Ooo -  a scientific calculator! And HAM radio software!"  :lol:  
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Alton Speers

This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 08:11:52 pm »

Well, here I am again using the Knoppix 3.7. I will need to alter the fonts and a few other things but it seems to want to work well also.  I really tried to crash SimplyMEPIS and it wouldn't cooperate. I had that Air America streaming in, 2 apps open along with Mozilla and tried launching a known non-compatible app from one of my hard drives, a truly deadly combination for Windows (would seized like an oil-free motor) but SimplyMepis running from my cd and ram just kept on chugging away! The mouse pointer did a couple of jumps and the audio stream did have a couple of skips but SimplyMEPIS kept it all together. After I get Knoppix "warmed up" I'll see if I can make it crash but, I'm thinking it too will survive. I wonder if Bill Gates is wringing his hands yet?!?!? All of a sudden his future ain't lookin' too bright...

Alton

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 11:23:38 pm »

Alton,

The reason why your internet "seems" faster under linux is because it IS faster as it doesn't have to go through as many software layers......after all linux was designed for TCP/IP networking....

And Bear,

I actually read all that stuff on the boot screen, as it tells me what's going on, and after working for a while with linux, one can actually tell what script one has to look at when things aren't going right
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 11:33:46 pm »

I wonder if Bill Gates is wringing his hands yet?!?!?
Heh - A couple years ago Bill Gates had egg all over his face when it was discovered that the severs with all the Windows support info on them were running on

Unix
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 11:46:13 pm »

Ragnar,

Er uh.....why should he have egg on his face?
After all.....he knows the difference between a good and a poor operating system, and made a highly informed choice*L*

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 01:22:33 am »

I really like the flexibility of this Mozilla browser. I can clear out these toolbars, bookmarks are a breeze and I really like the fact that I have quick and easy access to managing cookies and other junk.

Would that be Mozilla Firefox?  That's what I've been using here lately...   I'm liking it more as time goes by.

In looking through all of the included stuff that comes with SimplyMEPIS I found this little applet called KStars. This is just too cool! A little astronomy applet that is amazingly versatile. It's just like....well, like they knew what I wanted!

After I first put this machine together and installed linux on to it,  I started poking around some to see what was new,  and that was one of the first things I bumped into.  I just left it run on this workstation,  even though I wasn't actually using it for a while after that initial setup.  Wanna see something *really* cool?  Pick a star or better yet a galazy or something,  and right-click on it -- it then gives you a list of available images in the catalog,  and selecting one it goes out and gets it!

Or,  how about playing a music CD -- if your local cache doesn't have that particular CD's titles in it and such,  and you happen to be online when you pop it in there,  it goes out and gets that info!  No more typing all that stuff in...

:-)

Sounds like you're having fun,  all right.
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Occupant No-name

This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 10:19:31 am »

Same for me Alton. I got a visit from the Linux fairy on Monday. I put in DSL and away I went. I didn't have to do anything!
Can I make a copy of of the CD just by burning it? Or is the secret Linux voodoo thing apply here too?
I just don't want to loose it eh?  :)  

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 11:42:49 am »

Can I make a copy of of the CD just by burning it? Or is the secret Linux voodoo thing apply here too?
I just don't want to loose it eh?  :)
Most CD-burner software has a "Copy CD" function, and it will work.  (in k3b, the Linux burner that I use, it is under Tools->CD->Copy CD)

About the only thing that won't work is a file-by-file copy.  (for example, opening the CD in WinXP explorer, then drag-n-drop all the files and directories to the burner drive)  This will copy all the files, but not the magic voodoo that makes the CD bootable.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 11:50:00 am »

*LoL*
Or is the secret Linux voodoo thing apply here too?
There is no Linux secret voodoo thing.....what there is instead is a "microsoft black box thing".
Microsoft operating systems within their limited scope do exactly the same things as any unix system only in a different way, and the only difference is they "hide" the mechanics of any actual operation "from the user", disempowering that user in the attempt to "keep the user stupid" and thus dependant upon the continuation of microsoft......
Funny thing is.......we dumb users chose to mislabel this treatment under a decidely "fuzzy and feel good" label which we call "user friendly" which instead should be labeled "user hostile"......hiding everything inside of locked "blackboxes" to ease use for the unknowing while limiting functionality for/to the knowledgable or "attempting to become knowledgable" via those same locked black boxes....

Alton Speers

This is Waaayyyy Cool!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 02:17:51 pm »

Man! I must be losing my touch! I failed to crash Knoppix 3.7. Maybe all the previous crashes weren't my fault after all!

Today's featured flavor of Linux is SuSE 9.2 ...very light and smooth appearance. Still no problems with the ISP. I'm using the Konqueror Browser now and it seems to have a spellchecker as certain words are appearing in red as I type. This is the first time I've noticed the very light, whisper green background here at TCF.

SuSE appears much more "polished", more business oriented than either the Knoppix or the SimplyMEPIS versions. It did take a hair longer to load and start than the other versions. There is no Mozilla Browser with his version. Fewer games and other applets to distract you. Fewer editors, fewer readers, just overall lighter in the bells and whistles dept. This is not to say that it is spartan, just less clutter.

I must say that I do like the better handling of my monitor. I have an older Compaq 14" job that has all the fine tuning features on the lower front panel. It provides very good graphics but it demands a very deft hand in the video card. SuSE is, so far, superior to Windows, Knoppix and SimplyMEPIS in this dept.

Now I gotta try and kill this one too!

Alton
 :blink:  :blink:  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up