The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Redshirting' kindergartners getting out of hand  (Read 1403 times)

mutti

• Mutti
'Redshirting' kindergartners getting out of hand
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:10:57 pm »

USA Today

More states now require children to turn 5 before they enroll in kindergarten. And more parents are voluntarily delaying their kids' entry into kindergarten — a step sometimes called "redshirting," after the college athletes who practice in red shirts but do not compete in games as freshmen, giving them an extra year of eligibility. Theoretically, the redshirted child gains by being the oldest rather than the youngest in the class. Not only might he or she be better prepared for classwork, being older might also make the child more confident or likely to be a leader.

(or bigger and a Bully)

Starting kindergarten later is especially likely to be detrimental to low-income households. Because those families cannot afford to send children to preschool or hire a devoted caregiver, the year is lost. The children are left to compete against redshirted children from better-off families who've been more thoroughly prepared.

Okay. "hire a devoted caregiver"

This is crazy. $7.6 Billion was allocated in 2011 for Headstart - which is open to any child in the United States. (.gov site warning for fact check if interested) Currently serving almost 1 million children. That includes the 24.4% budget cut from the year before, but does not include the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act $'s that went into the program.

Anyway - I was fascinated to discover that the youngest possible "kindergarten"  offered is 85 days old in Chile up to about 5ish in Japan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindergarten

I'll never watch another College Football game again without thinking about how children are "Red Shirted" so young in life.

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Bear

• Curious Bear
Re: 'Redshirting' kindergartners getting out of hand
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:17:50 pm »

How did we ever learn to make it in life with such substandard practices as
our parents used? How did civilization advance for 5,000 years without pre-school?

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Scarmiglione'

Re: 'Redshirting' kindergartners getting out of hand
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 03:17:41 pm »

The government is very successfully killing parenting as an essential aspect of life.

It's not "destruction of family values", that's a line of bull.  It's the destruction of parenting through subsidies, financial and moral.

Personally, I'm finding the moral subsidies to be far more abhorrent that the financial, though one leads from the other.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up