The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FL LEO's Taser Man in Wheelchair  (Read 5833 times)

NuclearDruid

FL LEO's Taser Man in Wheelchair
« on: December 21, 2004, 09:46:34 am »

MIAMI Police use Taser to stun man in wheelchair

I used bugmenot.com login: herald@miami.com pwd:bogus1

Miami police used a Taser stun gun to subdue a man in a wheelchair who threatened them with scissors during a domestic violence call, officials said Monday.

Miami police responded to a domestic violence call at 23 NW 41st St. at about 6:30 p.m.

Police spokesman Willie Moreno said the man got into an argument with his girlfriend, then threw a soda can at her 13-year-old daughter.

When police officers arrived at the scene at 6:30 p.m., the man resisted officers, Moreno said.

''Even if you're wheelchair-bound, it doesn't make you less of a threat,'' Moreno said.

``If you want to fight, there are ways you can hurt an officer.''

My only question is how would Deputy Fife had handled this?

ND  
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 10:07:44 am »

q
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:33:37 pm by Alchemist »

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 12:15:26 pm »

''Even if you're wheelchair-bound, it doesn't make you less of a threat,'' Moreno said.

WTF????

There were at least 2 officers. The guy in the wheel chair has only 2 arms. What a spineless
bunch of JBTs these are!

Bear  :angry:

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 06:28:30 pm »

What a spineless bunch of JBTs these are!
Spineless?  Are you mocking the guy in the chair?  How insensitive!  Kick him, DeWitt.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

Mos2

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 07:10:29 pm »

Probably take the one battery out of his shirt pocket, fumble it into the taser, and shock himself in the process.  :lol:  

Alchemist

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 07:26:15 pm »

q
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:33:19 pm by Alchemist »

Bobaloo

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 01:32:40 pm »

ND
It sounds like Deputy Fife was the officer who took the call...

I'm sick of the myth of the hero cop.  A local policeman got killed here recently, and the newspaper was full of quotes from other officers about "how it's always tough to lose a comrade", and "you never know if the call you're on might be your last".  The only problem was, prior to this event, the last cop to get killed on duty was about 15 years ago, and that was in a car accident.  The last cop to get murdered was about 80 years ago, so I doubt these officers were being completely honest when they talked about "how it's always tough to lose a comrade", since this was the first "comrade" they'd lost in this way in their or their parents' lifetimes!!!  TV and movies and repeated messages from government about how dangerous being a cop is have indoctrinated everyone into believing it.  Even cops currently working are unable to separate the fiction from the fact of their very own experience, and I'm sure this affects their judgment.  This myth is the basis for all the "officer safety" encroachments on liberty - I say banish it back to the dimestore novel shelves where it belongs.  The number of officers killed on duty by legitimate offenders is pretty small - in 2003, 148 officers were killed, more than half accidentally (auto accidents, mostly) - about 55 were actually murdered.  That's out of 870,000 officers in the U.S.  You can do the math (short version - about 15,000 to 1 against a particular cop getting murdered in a given year).  These figures are from www.nleomf.com, the National Law Enforcement Officer Memorial.  

By comparison, here are the ten most dangerous jobs (from Ask Yahoo! at: http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20040812.html)

Timber cutter, fisherman, pilot/navigator, structural metal workers, driver-sales workers, roofers, electrical power installers, farm occupations, construction, truck drivers.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure a lot of the cops injured or killed each year were acting heroically, but I don't consider getting killed on a drug raid heroic, and I certainly don't think it's reasonable for the rest of us to have to submit to patdowns, vehicle searches, mandatory ID presentation, etc., in the name of "officer safety".  When I hear about cops tasering a guy in a wheelchair, I think it's pretty clear that being a cop isn't nearly as hazardous as they imagine it to be, or as hazardous as it should be.

Mos2

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 05:28:50 pm »

Enough ranting for now.  Thanks for humoring me.

Al
I was a good rant, though.  :D  I find myself thinking a move to Mayberry would be a good idea. But I'd probably end up in Wiloughby like that Twilight Zone episode. When someone starts a Libertarian Channel, they should do an "Andy of Hardyville" series.

penguinsscareme

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 08:00:04 pm »

By comparison, here are the ten most dangerous jobs (from Ask Yahoo! at: http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20040812.html)

Timber cutter, fisherman, pilot/navigator, structural metal workers
I can attest to #4, man.  Almost ended the argument today about whether there is or isn't a God.  Mamas, don't let your sons grow up to be ironworkers.  I'm getting out of this business.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 08:19:42 pm »

:o Almost take the fast way down, Birds?
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

penguinsscareme

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 08:39:41 pm »

Electrocuted myself with the welder.  Verily, verily I say unto you, thou shalt not attempt to weld in the snow.  Actually, electrocuting myself nearly did cause me to fall off the girder.  But luckily my feet got tangled up in the rungs of a nearby ladder, thus arresting my fall.  My buddy saw me disappear off the girder and came running over.  He said he found me hanging upside down from the ladder.  He knew I was in trouble when he saw the smoke coming off my clothes and caught the scent of burnt rawhide (my glove).  So he got my heart going again, and by that time a bunch of guys had come over to return me to a right side up position.  That's two, count 'em, two ways I nearly bought it today. :(

The soreness is really beginning to set in now.

I think I'll take up a nice easy career, maybe alligator wrestling...
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

You do what works.

Nedda of the Hill

• Stand
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 09:11:15 pm »

:o   Youch!

Glad you're still with us, P.

A taser would probly feel like nothin' compared to that, wouldn't it?

Brrrrr!  Gives me the willies...

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 09:30:54 pm »

I'll see Nedda's Youch, and raise her a Gadzooks!

You need a safer line of work, like data entry or bomb disposal.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

penguinsscareme

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 09:36:01 pm »

Yeah.  Gave wife and daughter lots of extra kisses tonight, I can tell you.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

You do what works.

Delos

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 09:52:40 pm »

The Fl. guy in the wheelchair was lucky he didn't live up around here. A couple years ago, two cops unloaded on a guy (multiple shots) in a wheelchair who was wielding a small knife, in his own apartment. They were exonerated of the murder, of course.

Steelworker, huh!

:lol:

I fished crab, salmon, and halibut in Alaska way back when. My one misstep overboard, plunging me into the frigid glacier fed ocean water, shaped me up pronto! I was very, very lucky.  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up