The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MMORPG rePKL  (Read 8334 times)

gaurdduck

Re: MMORPG rePKL
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 09:51:54 pm »

So er uh...........why not simply skip all the "real" programming and use a prebuilt open source engine.

Excellent idea! Any suggestions?

I need to be able to build the cities to some reasonable degree of detail... Gonna start on layouts tonight...

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 02:08:39 pm »

*grins*
this isn't my project..........it's yours.

I'm into comms not games

i haven't diddled with game engines in years, and back then the open source community was just starting to shake loose with some free engines.
But even back then there were dozensof engines and the demo "wad"(data files) to give folks a taste of what the engine is capable of

What I'd do, is make a list of what you consider to be neccessary features, and go from there.
Probably first on that list would be a networkable multiplayer feature.
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

IrishPyroWolf1994

• Don't Tread on Me!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 12:53:04 am »

This definitely seems interesting. However I have a suggestion. Check out "EVE Online" It is a pretty interesting game that has hardly any, if any rules.

gaurdduck

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 07:28:30 am »

This definitely seems interesting. However I have a suggestion. Check out "EVE Online" It is a pretty interesting game that has hardly any, if any rules.

That is my intention as soon as I kill that dratted "King of the Forest" in the Kingdom of Elerd on NeoSteam...

Junker

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 08:18:08 pm »

Inside the Economy of Virtual Currency

[MMUGs turn virtual money into 'real' money-- tokens that trade for physical money]

It might be called virtual currency, but make no mistake about it, it is very real.

There are 100,000 full-time gold farmers in China alone and
in 2008; $2 billion in virtual currency was traded in the
country.

In 2009, the Chinese government attempted to restrict the
trading of virtual currency and gold farming with a
nationwide directive. The law said businesses without
licenses couldn't trade virtual currency for real money.
However, Liu says the problem still persists.

"without licenses couldn't trade" - the govt wants to steal its share

gaurdduck

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 09:07:21 am »

I had planned to sequester the game's economy from the real world economy for the most part so that the rich kids don't lvl up faster than everybody else and so that gains in the game are entirely from in-game efforts. Being somebody who cannot afford the dragon armor because it costs $ instead of G would suck.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:10:38 am by Pirate King Luffy »

gaurdduck

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 09:23:36 am »

A new development I forgot about telling you guys...

I added 2 more friends to the project as advisers. They're experts in South-East Asian Folklore and are helping me come up with quests.

Also, I'm using pics from this site to base the weapons off of. I'm using mostly SE Asian stuff, but with some Spanish, Arab, and E Asian stuff as well. I'm thinking of what was available in the last 500 years in the region. I'm also considering a companion book, the sales of which will provide the money to run the servers and pay for the bandwidth.

Junker

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 02:42:05 pm »

Fun pics there.

gaurdduck

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 04:43:06 pm »

Fun pics there.

Oh yes indeed... There are some crazy exotic weapons in there.

=====================================================

What do you guys think about me having an in-game cypher that is used as hints in quests and to find treasures and such?

Like, supposing you are walking through a mountain pass and you see a cave, you enter to find a strange inscription. You can't read the writing so you go to the School in Gael and the professor gives you a quest to collect something for his research, and as a reward, gives you a scroll to use as a key to decipher the codded messages found all over the gameworld.

gaurdduck

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 10:21:46 pm »

Making a text-based version first...

It's going to be similar to the old MUD games and tell the story of how the humans ended up on that planet. It takes place 1,000 years before the 3D game we have in mind.

We plan to follow the Path of ZUN and make each successive version better than the last until we get to our target game. (Yes, it's a new strategy.)

===

edited to add:

I'm typing up the scenarios now and plan to use Fortan to make the game with multiple choices listed so there are fewer commands to memorize...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:26:22 pm by Pirate King Luffy »

gaurdduck

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 08:12:36 am »

Sample of in-game text:
(Haven't started coding yet... refreshing my memory with an e-book on FORTRAN. If I can figure out how to do it, there will be background images. If not then I'll do it in the next version of the game.)

Choose a Character:
Jin - human boy with amnesia from the crash
if Jin go to 0003

You Picked Jin.
You wake up in a stange place surrounded by plants you've never seen before... You have a very bad headache. A scaly anthropomorph with horns is stooped over a pot on a fire stirring it's contents.

You have 3 options:
Play Possum. - 0010
Play Dead. - 0011
Ask who he is and where you are. - 0012

You Played Possum
The scaly anthropomorph misunderstands your sudden snoring for a blocked airway and sticks his long forked tounge down your throat in an attempt to dislodge the foreign object. You faint in the process. go back to 0003

You Picked Jin.
You wake up in a stange place surrounded by plants you've never seen before... You have a very bad headache. A scaly anthropomorph with horns is stooped over a pot on a fire stirring it's contents.

You have 3 options:
Play Possum. - 0010
Play Dead. - 0011
Ask who he is and where you are. - 0012

You played Dead. Not knowing how to check a human's vitals, he belived your ruse and buried you. You died for real.
Kinda hard to breathe underground. It sucks to be you.
Would you like to play again?
Yes - 0001
No - EXIT

MUD really is a nostalgic format...

gaurdduck

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 01:16:16 pm »

I'm thinking of using Baybayin script as a cypher in-game for puzzles pertaining to a certain immortal boss creature...

http://www.ancientscripts.com/tagalog.html

gaurdduck

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 12:42:43 am »

Nabataean looks so freakin' awesome I gotta put it in somewhere... Maybe if I add in simplified vowel characters from Linear B, I can use it as a cypher in the game? This bears some thought... Ideas?

GypsyJoker

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 06:54:17 pm »

Sounds like something I'm gonna, do, but different. Mine's gonna have a few rules, but it's not gonna have the same old boring race/class combos that everyone has since most MMOs are cheap ripoffs of WoW. In fact, the only thing I'm gonna keep from WoW is the keyboard layout, just because a vast majority of MMO players play WoW somewhat, at least. It's gonna be set around the Biblical end times, with some mythological races thrown in, but no elves, dwarfs, goblins or gnomes.

GypsyJoker

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 07:24:09 pm »

So er uh...........why not simply skip all the "real" programming and use a prebuilt open source engine.

Excellent idea! Any suggestions?

I need to be able to build the cities to some reasonable degree of detail... Gonna start on layouts tonight...

Might try the OpenSims engine, from Linden Labs, same people that put out Second Life
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up