The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "National Standards" re: Education to be adopted in 24 States  (Read 1987 times)

mutti

• Mutti

Just an FYI to look into the movement announced yesterday.

Administration Pushes Adoption of National School Standards; States, Parental Control at Risk

Even though the Obama administration has promoted these standards as "state-led" and "voluntary," recent actions reveal several "strings" attached:

* The administration's "Race to the Top" grant competition gives preference to states that plan to adopt the standards, which has led many to criticize the administration for essentially "bribing" states to join the standards movement.
    * The administration has even proposed plans to make Title I funding, which assists low-income districts, contingent on adherence to "common" standards.
    * According to an Education Week article, organizers announced in May that states that adopt the standards must use the document word for word.

"What I find disconcerting is not so much the standards themselves, but the prospect of yet another federal overreach into an area that should remain a state and local issue," said Candi Cushman, education analyst for CitizenLink. "Curriculum standards have traditionally been voted upon by state elected officials who are accountable to parents and taxpayers."

Cushman points to a recent Texas school board decision as a prime example of the importance of local control. The state board voted to retain references to Christmas in the social studies standards, as well as acknowledging the Founding Fathers' respect for religious freedoms.

"That victory happened because board members responded to constituent e-mails and calls," she said. "If a state adheres to national standards, parents will lose influence over their children's education."

1. This is a biased source, I have perused the "National Standards", but not studied them in depth as they (at this point) do not apply to us as HSers.
2. I do have an issue with the standards. (But then again I have a problem with arbitrary rulings/laws in most cases).
3. This group makes the assumption that if you place your child/ren in public school you have any "control" anyway - fools.

More Federal Control. What did they use, superglue to shut the eyes of the masses?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Scarmiglione'

Re: "National Standards" re: Education to be adopted in 24 States
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:59:38 am »

Convenience is a helluva drug.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:06:53 am »

Why "National Standards" mean nothing when it comes to actual learning -

From the NY Times : In College, Working Hard to Learn High School Material

Her grades were in the 90s, she said, and she had passed the four state Regents exams. Since enrolling last month at LaGuardia Community College in Queens, Ms. Smith, 19, has come to realize that graduating from a New York City public high school is not the same as learning.

She failed all three placement tests for LaGuardia and is now taking remediation in reading, writing and math. So are Nikita Thomas, of Bedford Stuyvesant Prep; Sade Washington, of the Young Women’s Leadership School in East Harlem; Stacey Sumulong, of Queens Vocational and Technical; Lucrecia Woolford of John Adams High; and Juan Rodriguez of Grover Cleveland High. “Passing the Regents don’t mean nothing,” Ms. Thomas said. “The main focus in high school is to get you to graduate; it makes the school look good. They get you in and get you out.”

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:28:07 am »

I saw quite a bit of this while I was in college.  I was taking my second calculus class and the Teaching Assistant was also teaching a Math 10 class.  I went to her office quite a bit for help and more often than not ran into other students needing assistance.  I'll never forget seeing the whiteboard in her office filled with simple addition lessons for the Math 10 students.  Something a second grader should be doing...
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.
Pages: [1]   Go Up