The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Your opinions please  (Read 7213 times)

Docliberty

Your opinions please
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:53:54 pm »

I have been using Internet Explorer and Outlook for my browser and e-mail (yes, I know.  I just didn't want to spend my time climbing the learning curve).  I have had it with them.  Something in my e-mail inbox knocked out my personal folders including a list of over 600 contacts that are very important to my business.  I will be able to re-construct it, but it is a PIA.  i am considering Firefox and Thunderbird as replacements.

Please post your opinions on these two products and let me know if there is something better.
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Your opinions please
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 02:09:14 pm »

The browser and email programs are not the problem. It won't matter much if you change them. Sort of like a new coat of paint on an old car. If the engine is no good, the paint is pointless.

Take the time to change the operating system so you have a solid, secure platform for your programs. I did, after worrying for YEARS that it would be too difficult, etc. It is not. There is very little difference in utility or the way it looks. It just doesn't crash all the time and, isn't subject to all of the crap floating around on the internet.

If you back up your data as you should anyway, you don't lose it. My contacts list is backed up to a thumb drive at the end of each day. I'd go nuts if I lost it. :)

Actually, your contact list is probably still there somewhere, just not available where you are used to seeing it. Someone here might be able to help you find and restore it. That's beyond my pay grade. LOL
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Docliberty

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 02:49:19 pm »

One of the problems that I had is that I could not figure out how to back up the contacts list in Outlook.
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Who...me?

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 03:00:39 pm »

One of the problems that I had is that I could not figure out how to back up the contacts list in Outlook.

There may be other ways but one is:

Open address book.
Click "file".
Click "Export".
Save to Desktop
Then back up as you prefer like any other file on your Desktop.

And I use firefox.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 03:10:23 pm »

Firefox (internet) and Thunderbird (e-mail) are not exactly like what you are accustomed to. The first couple of days will likely find you of mixed emotions. After that, you will be quite pleased with yourself for making the switch.  Learn to configure them to your tastes right away. That is the quickest way to fall in like with them.

Friday I made the first move in the next level of transition for the SlidemanSailor household: Bought a good used Compaq desktop for Mrs. Sailor. ($100 from Craig's List). It has the complete MS Office that she knows, loves and is at the top of her craft using.

Second step is for her set it up on her desk, then move the Windows office and photo files from her laptop that is currently so overwhelmed with software that it staggers under the weight.

Third step is to tun the laptop into a Linux machine that does ALL of her online work.  A lean, mean web'n'e-mail machine.

Then the Windoze office machine can toss its heavy suit of armor and do for her what it does best while the Linux Laptop does what it does best.

Future steps involve my picking up a laptop so my desktop can sever its ties with the net as well.

This relates to your original questions in that Firefox and Thunderbird are native to Linux and will thus involve no transition at all.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:47:39 pm »

The advice given so far has been good.  I'll add this:

I've been using Firefox for years.  I like it, but it's not as trim and lightweight as it used to be.  I've used Thunderbird some, but I'm using Outlook for what little I use a mail client for.  That's not because I like Outlook better.  Outlook installed with MSOffice, Thunderbird requires me to download it.  I'm on dial-up.

If you can't convert away from Windows for some reason, do what you can to secure your box.  I recommend Avast! Antivirus (free for personal use, though they do require you to register it after a couple of months and then every year after that). 
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

gaurdduck

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:32:29 am »

Firefox is great. I like it a lot. There are all kinds of add-ons for all kinds of things. One of these makes it look like I have perfect spelling when really I'm not so good at spelling. I'm not horrible, but the ones with weird letter combos get me. I have it set so that the tabs are in different colors and so that the... I'll just show you. You can customize it to this insane level, or you can just leave it simple:

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 04:30:54 pm »

well if you setup your windows box NOT to self execute anything it downloads, and set your email up to show "text only", you'll kill off about 90% of the usual internet "bugs" in the average windows box..........
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 06:58:14 am »

Firefox, Safari, and Chrome are all good browsers, and from reports I've heard, more stable and secure than Internet Explorer. Some like Opera, too. I'm currently using Firefox on my Debian laptop, with Chrome for stuff I like to keep separate, and a proxy setting I use sometimes. On my Windows VM and dual-boot, I'm using Safari.

I use Gmail for my personal mail. Best email user interface I've seen anywhere. Accessible from any web browser on the planet. But you might not like Google having all your email and contacts.

I use Thunderbird for business email, with Enigmail for encryption. Works good.

But Mama Liberty's advice is probably more relevant. To paraphrase Eric S. Raymond, if you have a problem with your computer, run "command", type "format c:", then install Linux (of course, you don't really want to do that. There are bits on your machine you need to preserve when you make the switch).

Before switching, you need to determine whether there are Windows applications you depend on that are hard to find replacements for in Linux. Most of the horizontal market apps, like browsers, email clients, word processors, spreadsheets, etc., have good Linux versions. Vertical market apps and games often do not.

My experience with Windows XP was that it worked fine, except I had to wipe the disk and reinstall every couple of years. Which makes regular backup VERY important. Don't know if Microsoft has fixed that problem since XP.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

GypsyJoker

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 02:17:39 pm »

Opera is a good browser, (I use it instead of firefox and chrome) and it has a built in mail client. YMMV

s2man

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 04:02:23 pm »

well if you setup your windows box NOT to self execute anything it downloads, and set your email up to show "text only", you'll kill off about 90% of the usual internet "bugs" in the average windows box..........

Ditto.  You can always tell your email client to show pic's or html if you wish, but the 'text only' method is a great deterrent.

And, I run plugins in Firefox which block scripts, cookies and ads.  The first two for security, the last for sanity.  For sites I visit regularly and trust, I just click "allow this site".   Any new site I visit has cookies and scripts blocked until I give permission.  It sounds like a hassle, but after a week or two you'll have all your regular sites "allowed", and won't have to bother with permissions again until you visit a new site and get to decide if you trust them or not.  And for sites which require cookies to function, but I don't want them to retain my info, there is the "allow for session" option; I get access to the site, then their cookies get deleted :-)

Omega

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 04:40:43 pm »

I've used both Firefox and Thunderbird for what seems like forever.  As securitysix mentioned, Firefox has become a bit of a glut in the last few years, but it seems as if Firefox 4 is a step in the right direction.  I've only run the beta version of FF4, but I like what I've been seeing.

Chrome is a pretty good bet for a browser.  Light and fast, although it lacks some features I've become accustomed to in Firefox.  I don't much like the way Chrome tells me where it's going to install itself without asking me for some input.  On my Linux boxes, I've eliminated Google Chrome entirely and have gone with Chromium, which is much faster.  But I'm still a FF user.

Switching from IE to another browser, or from Outlook to another messaging script is a lot like switching from Windows to Linux.  They are not the same and that is intentional.  If you want your browser to be just like IE, you are going to want to stick with IE.  Have you ever purchased a new car and your hand can't seem to find the light switch without you having to look for it?  After a couple weeks, you're comfortable in your new car.  It's the same when you change software.  Sometimes you have to look for the light switch, but you adapt to it with use.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 11:36:21 pm »

Opera is a good browser, (I use it instead of firefox and chrome) and it has a built in mail client. YMMV

Same here, I like the measure of control Opera offers and I rarely send emails just..because.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

Silver

• thrivalist
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 03:15:40 pm »

I like Firefox and use IE only for those rare sites that don't work with Firefox.  The fact that a site doesn't load properly in FF is a red flag and tells me the owners and webmasters may not be competent and/or honest.

I agree that Firefox has become bloatware but it's still light years ahead of IE.  I miss the days when FF would load itself quickly and then load pages quickly.  I have a 10x faster machine and 5x slower browser than I did 4 years ago.

Thunderbird just sucks.  My list of complaints is long and detailed.  Let's just say I recommend it to people I intensely dislike.   I used it for a while, but it is way worse than Eudora was 10 years ago.  I don't know the technical causes, but it's far worse than outlook, and I don't like outlook at all.

I've seen some encouraging reviews of Eudora 8, which is Thunderbird plus Penelope, but Thunderbird has shat on me so many times that I doubt I will ever again allow anything remotely associated with it on my machines.

I use Google Gmail.  I used to be concerned about privacy but now that we all know that every email you send is vacuumed up by the NSA and several other TLAs there isn't much to do except use PGP or GPG for things you want to keep private.  The Gmail interface is good, I find several of the labs helpful, and while there have been a few system outages the amount of lost time and aggravation Gmail has cost me is literally tens of times less than the pointless BS Thunderbird and outlook have put in my path.

I never let Windoze or Firefox update automatically.  Don't fix working systems.  I have my own suite of tools and behaviors I use to protect against attacks.  Firefox with a proxy, ad-aware, and noscript add-ons will block well over 90% of the bad site's attempts.  I have had zero infections since I started using noscript.  I look at the reasons given for most updates and they just don't do me any good, and I've been burned by both OS and browser upgrades before.  No more.

I'm not sure I believe that the Linux systems are that much more reliable or secure.  I have no love of windows but too many of the applications I use at work are available only on that platform.  I've loaded a few Linux distros but learning a new OS does take a non-trivial amount of time.  I've paid the learning curve price on XP and will hold onto that until I'm forced to something else.

Another thing everyone should do is encrypt your entire drive with TrueCrypt.  It's not perfect but it's pretty darn good and its free and easy to use. 

Good luck.

Peace,

Silver
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:19:49 pm by Silver »

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 03:23:09 pm »

Another thing everyone should do is encrypt your entire drive with TrueCrypt.  It's not perfect but it's pretty darn good and its free and easy to use. 

Never could figure out why one would want to do this. There is nothing on any of my hard drives that didn't come FROM the internet, get published to the internet, or come to me as email (or get sent as such). Everyone who wants to see it already has, or can do so easily. Why would I want to encrypt any of it?
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up