The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: What linux OS to get?  (Read 16586 times)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Re: What linux OS to get?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 05:07:52 pm »

a regular disk clean up and defrag takes care of the largest part of the ills, just clean up first so the defrag can overwrite what you deleted......... (that is windows, I am sure there are similar utilities in Ubuntu)

er uh..............linux uses a swap partition or in some cases a fixed size swapfile rather than snatching up bits of your data partition to use as swap space and as such doesn't need "defrag"-ing to clean up all the bits of crap that it wrote in all those little empty spots in your data partition but never cleaned up............

Windows can be set up that way too............but one has to specifically set it up that way..........and it complains while you're doing it too*L*
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 06:09:36 pm »

Actually, the logrotate utility takes care of deleting old log files. AFAIK, everything under /var/log. Of course, each utility comes with its own rotation configure file, so some might be a bit different from the typical. The typical, BTW, is to rotate weekly, and keep 4 in archive state (those are the .gz files you see).

In over 10 years of running Linux, I've heard of only a few queries regarding defragging. I don't know of anyone doing it. The typical claim is that the filesystems used with Linux are typically less susceptible to performance problems than FAT16/32. I can't say I've looked into it. Big SATA drives these days, with onboard cache, are pretty fast so it might be a non-issue anyway.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 11:28:37 pm »

I just read a review of Mepis that sounds promising for an easy-to-use distribution.

FreedomSight

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2010, 06:25:47 am »

Thanks! I'll look at that.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new (to me) computer. It's a refurbished HP/Compaq

Here's the rundown:
Pentium 4
30 Ghz
1 GB memory
80 GB HD
DVD + RW

Windows XP prof OS on it now. I'm considering a dual boot with some flavor of linux. The old dinosaur machine I'm on now will continue with puppy, networked to the new machine.

And then, and then, and THEN, I'll get DSL! Will have to rearrange my computer time, I think. All those videos! LOL
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 06:18:13 pm »

80GB hard drive? Must be an IDE drive. Truly, I'm not trying to pee in your rice crispies, I just wouldn't buy anything without SATA. Do you have a URL for what you ordered?

FreedomSight

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 06:42:42 am »

80GB hard drive? Must be an IDE drive. Truly, I'm not trying to pee in your rice crispies, I just wouldn't buy anything without SATA. Do you have a URL for what you ordered?

No, Geeks.com doesn't have any more of those listed. But the drive is SATA. I checked that before I bought it. <grin> I also got a free standing HD case for the two SATA HDs that I have from the old e-machine. Now I'll be able to retrieve my stuff.

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 07:20:07 pm »

Oooph. 2-Day DSL outage. Actually, outages are pretty rare, and usually last only a few hours. You'll like DSL a lot. :D

Good you're getting SATA. Should be easy to stick one of your other HDs into that new box.

FreedomSight

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 04:52:06 am »

If you have 100$ handy, you can probably pick up a 1Tb (1000Gb) drive.  That would probably do your storage needs until TSHTF........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 06:03:08 am »

If you have 100$ handy, you can probably pick up a 1Tb (1000Gb) drive.  That would probably do your storage needs until TSHTF........

Got the new computer and I really like it. Much smaller than any other I've ever had, and lays flat on the desk instead of a big tower. Don't like the XP pro, however. Bleah! Boots like an overweight pregnant sow up a steep ramp.

The 80 GB HD in that, plus the 120 GB I've got in the older drives will no doubt do me for a good long time. 

So, back to the original question.

I booted the Ubuntu from disk and wasn't terribly impressed with how it LOOKED, but seems to work ok. I'll look at the Kubuntu this afternoon. Then I found disks some dear soul sent me May of last year (and I'm ashamed to say I don't remember who) so I also have available a long list of other linux stuff, including Mint 6 (fluxbox) and 7, Simply Mepis 8.0.0.6 and 8 Anti-X, Fedora 10, Mandriva in two flavors, Open Suse 11.1 - KDE and PC linux OS 2009.1

And I really don't know anything about any of them.  :rolleyes:

Rarick

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 08:03:12 am »

The interface is plain, but I am sure you can dress it up if you want.  Its goal was to get unix a point and click layer without "infringing" on WinDos enough to get a look and feel lawsuit.  It does have about 90%+ of the functionality of windows, it just needs getting used to.  I only have Ubuntu as a play with item tho'  hopefully someone with some nuts and bolts experience will pitch in.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 08:50:41 am »

The interface is plain, but I am sure you can dress it up if you want.  Its goal was to get unix a point and click layer without "infringing" on WinDos enough to get a look and feel lawsuit. 

Yes indeed. This patent thing is really goofy sometimes. I can see proprietary code if they want to be anal, but how do you rationally patent a whole concept like windows?

Just glad nobody holds a patent to the concept of DOORS. :(

Rarick

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 10:40:44 am »

Apple and Microsoft had a catfight over it.........  Doors, or DOORS one is a patent for a pretty cool band.....

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 11:25:41 am »

Apple and Microsoft had a catfight over it.........  Doors, or DOORS one is a patent for a pretty cool band.....

I heard of them... but they don't demand a royalty for every "door" in America either. :) Or worse, demand the perverse "right" of having the keys to all of those doors.

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2010, 07:10:59 pm »

There are plenty of themes available which look very, very much like the default Win XP theme. Don't know whether it's still around, but I've had the "Redmond" GTK theme engine installed on several systems. If Micro$oft were going to file a "look and feel" suit, I think they'd have done so by now.

I can't say much about Gnome these days, because I don't use it as a desktop environment. I did see that they moved the buttons over to the left in the default theme -- a dumb idea, if you ask me. (But obviously, Mark Shuttleworth didn't ask me -- who does he think he is, anyway?) KDE has was my choice for quite a while, until KDE4.

FreedomSight

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 08:06:43 am »

I can't say much about Gnome these days, because I don't use it as a desktop environment. I did see that they moved the buttons over to the left in the default theme -- a dumb idea, if you ask me. (But obviously, Mark Shuttleworth didn't ask me -- who does he think he is, anyway?) KDE has was my choice for quite a while, until KDE4.

I don't know Gnome from KDE myself... just look for functional stuff. The buttons are where one finds them. :)

Looked at both Ubuntu and Kubuntu and, so far, Kubuntu wins hands down. Maybe it was the purple background of the Ubuntu... I hate purple -- but the Kubuntu just seemed a lot better and had better programs. I have a dear friend who has run it for a number of years now and her only objection is the frequent update required. Every 6 months seems excessive.

The main problem she has is the fact that many of these upgrades actually BREAK things that were working fine before, and then have to be fixed. How dumb is that? The things that break are usually other utilities downloaded separately - don't come with the original or the updates, and so one must go looking and download a NEW one if possible.

So, since I'll need to find and download an html editor and a ftp program, I'm wondering if they are going to break each time I do an update?

Oh, and she also said something about a longer term update option, but didn't explain it. Anybody know about that? Kubuntu "help" documentation on the disk says each update must be done in order and if you skip any, you have to wait through downloading each one that was missed before the newest one can be installed. That seems really lame.

What's up with this stuff, guys?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up