The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volunteers Needed - communication net test  (Read 7622 times)

enemyofthestate

• Banned
Volunteers Needed - communication net test
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2003, 11:47:28 pm »

Yet by the same token uucp can also talk via TCP/IP, so while I know virtually nothing about uucp at this time I'm sure I'll pick up a crash course in it soon enough ;)
Taylor UUCP works fine over TCP/IP.  In fact, it will work over just about any transport protocol that will transfer ASCII files.  Heck, there is no reason it couldn't use sneaker net if it had to.  That means this 'backup' system can use the regular Internet with SSH or SSL or it can transparently fall back to PPP over dialup.

The real advantage, IMO, to UUCP over the conventional SMTP is that UUCP was destined for multi-hop routing and the network can be virtual.

BTW, I have the modem working and I will (hopefully) test PPP over it tomorrow from work.

Oh, and the point-to-point IP addresses will have to be planned to avoid conflict with the private networks most of us run in our homes.  I use the 192.168.1.0/24 block myself.  The RFC 1918 addresses ARE:

10/8
172.16/12
192.168/16

There is no reason -- on UNIX anyways -- that the PPP addresses couldn't be in 127/8 as long as we avoid the loopback address.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2003, 03:30:49 pm »

enemyofthestate,

In your opinion what problems would you foresee using the 127/8 block on windows machines?
You gotta' remember that probably 90% of this networks users would be using windows.
And that from the very beginning all thoughts were to be centered around making this thing windows compliant.

In a world without fences and walls we'd have no need for windows and gates.
But such is not the case, and therefore we have to work with what we DO have.

And furthermore, and this is just my opinion, we should build this thing to be as transparent to the end user of the system as possible.
After all, if we wanted people to have a certain degree of computer knowledge before even attempting to use the system we could forego all of this and just set up an interconnected unix shell BBS with a homebrewed fidonet and have users telnet in.....

BTW: what OS are you working this up on?
I myself am using slackware for the pppd, and a gross butchering of bash scripts in lieu of installing the "real" apps,(the getty and the ppp initalization) at least until I can figure out what road all the others having phun with this want to walk.

In other words although I've been the most vocal in this thing, I'm only one part of this thing, and will only go so far until I know this is what we want to do.

Sneakernet and using the existing internet and a dial-up "extranet" as a backup?
Yup......that's what we're talking about alright*grin*
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Dana

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2003, 04:09:33 pm »

Personally, I think all of you are on the wrong track.  I think you should implement this thing using RFC 1149.  If you don't think that's practical, here's an existing, real-world actual implementation of the protocol.  Be sure to check out the photos.   :lol:

Dana

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2003, 07:47:30 pm »

Here ya' go folks,

Another test in the works

Government simulates national attack on computers, banks, utilities

By Ted Bridis, The Associated Press Nov 24 2003 4:08PM

The Homeland Security Department's first simulation of a terrorist attack on computer, banking and utility systems exposed problems with the ways victimized industries communicated vital information during the crisis, the government's new cybersecurity chief said Monday.

Government simulates internet attack

My only question is, was the purpose to determine how to minimize or maximize the damage done?
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2003, 10:59:48 pm »

In your opinion what problems would you foresee using the 127/8 block on windows machines?

I just tested it and the current version of pppd rejects the entire 127/8 block.  So forget it.

You gotta' remember that probably 90% of this networks users would be using windows.
And that from the very beginning all thoughts were to be centered around making this thing windows compliant.

True but, let's face it, most of those will be end users.  They will connect, send some mail, grab some mail and then disconnect.  That is no more difficult than what they are doing now.

The Windozers that will actually be forwarding mail will have some idea of how to set up ppp.  Maybe even a real pop server :-).

<snip...>

BTW: what OS are you working this up on?
I myself am using slackware for the pppd, and a gross butchering of bash scripts in lieu of installing the "real" apps,(the getty and the ppp initalization) at least until I can figure out what road all the others having phun with this want to walk.

I'm building it on Linux.  I have notes for installing the modem and configuring ppp.  I've added them to my FAQ file.

http://www.heronforge.net/redhat/index.html

Scroll down to the desired section and follow the links

In other words although I've been the most vocal in this thing, I'm only one part of this thing, and will only go so far until I know this is what we want to do.

Agreed.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2003, 04:16:25 am »

During my usual nightly wanderings I found an interesting link pretaining to uucp

RXN communications uucp FAQ

the info covers software and such for DOS, OS/2, Mac, and un*x and info on the care and feeding of these systems......
(told you folks I'd get a crash course in uucp)  ;)

I found a bunch of other phun stuff too, but well......maybe I'll talk about that some other day

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2003, 07:16:08 pm »

Guys,

I'm sorry I haven't been pursuing this, but I've been swamped at work, and will likely continue
to be until January. The good news is, I will still have  a job in January.  ;)   The great news is
that it's a better job than I have now.  :D

I'll contact everyone who's emailed me then. Until then, Happy [fill-in-the-blank] !!!

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2004, 01:03:19 pm »

Over at kew.com I found the UUPC/extended collection for DOS, win9x/nt, and OS-2 in case anyones interested anymore.
It's uucp for windows and OS-2

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2004, 09:32:26 pm »

I'll have a few days to bone up on uucp then. Is fidonet still up and running?
You betcha (sysop of 1:270/615 and NC270  here :-)!

Better yet,  I can do UUCP on my dos BBS box!  That's how I got my email until last September or so,  when that situation I was using finally went away and I had to start using a regular dialup 'net account.

Can do it here on this linux box,  too.  Maybe I oughta go read the rest of this thread now...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2004, 11:24:31 pm »

rtelleson,

The enthusiasm is still here, but like a herd of cats, threads have spun off in different directions. Check out
the radio related threads on the Gulch sub-board. It looks like we're leaning towards linked packet radio
with as little Ma Bell use as possible. That "as possible" part is still a moving target.

Stay tuned.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up