The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Police Tasered truant girl, 12  (Read 8558 times)

Alton Speers

Police Tasered truant girl, 12
« on: November 14, 2004, 06:56:45 am »

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/...intstory.jsp&1c

MIAMI-DADE POLICE
Miami-Dade police said an officer should not have used a stun gun to stop a 12-year-old girl who was skipping school.
BY SUSANNAH A. NESMITH
snesmith@herald.com

A Miami-Dade police officer used a Taser to stop an unarmed, 12-year-old girl who was running away from him after she was caught skipping school, police acknowledged Friday night.

The incident happened Nov. 5, just over two weeks after other Miami-Dade officers used a stun gun to restrain a first-grader. In that case, police said the 6-year-old boy was holding a shard of glass and threatening to cut himself. Police Director Bobby Parker defended the decision to shock the boy because he could have seriously hurt himself.

But Parker said Friday that he could not defend the decision to shock the fleeing 12-year-old, who was apparently drunk.

''Under the circumstances, we thought that he should not have used the Taser,'' Parker said referring to the officer. ``It's likely that discipline will be forthcoming.''

According to the incident report:

Officer William Nelson responded to an anonymous complaint that some kids were swimming in a West Kendall pool, drinking alcohol and smoking cigars about 11 a.m.

Nelson said he noticed the girl was intoxicated and told her to get dressed so he could take her back to school.

''While walking [the girl] to the police car, [she] took off running through the parking lot,'' Nelson wrote in his report.

Nelson, 38, a 15-year veteran, said he chased her and yelled several times for her to stop. Nelson said he pulled out the Taser and fired when the girl began to run into traffic.

The electric probes hit the girl in the neck and lower back, immobilizing her with 50,000 volts.

Nelson said he fired ''for my safety along with [the girl's] safety.'' He could not be reached for comment.

Paramedics treated the girl, who went home with her mother.

I really can't say what I think for the sake of Debra and the TCF board... :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Alton

byron

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 07:25:48 am »

The cop noticed the girl was intoxicated, and his first thought is to take her back to school? But after she gets tasered, she gets to go home with mom.

One day a cop is going to taser a kid, and a parent is going to go ballistic - literally.

Alton Speers

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 07:28:54 am »

One day a cop is going to taser a kid, and a parent is going to go ballistic - literally.
One could only hope.

Alton

Mostly Harmless

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 08:39:45 am »

If that had been my kid two people would be in a world of hurt:

1. My kid for being an asshole first and skipping school second

2. The cop also for being an asshole

My lawyer would, on the other hand, be planning his retirement while he worked out who to sue.

That is unless I'd not managed to control my ballistic impulse to wreak havoc on the local cop shop. In which case you'd be hearing about me on CNN

Leonidas the Younger

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 09:13:12 am »

When I read stuff like this, I have various reactions.

Many of which are "unprintable", in a forum clean as this one.

It *does* make me wonder about the depths of human stupidity, though ..

-- Leonidas
-- It may soon be time to say: "I plead the second."; are you ready?
-- What have you *DONE* for freedom today?
-- Collectives may exist under individualism, but individuals are not suffered to exist under collectivism.
-- I don't beg anyone for my freedom any more.  It isn't theirs to give me.  It's mine to take and to live. - Lightning.
-- Educated men are as much superior to uneducated men as the living are to the dead. - Aristotle

Liberty-MMMM!

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 10:52:03 am »

Seems from the last few days they want all the kids.  seriously though its about time more people sued the police departments like wolves.  like i do.  90 percent of the time they resort to these tactics because they can and for power reasons.  i have a little "negotiation" going right now witha department that includes just such an incident on an adult- someone you may know from here.
Bastards.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 10:53:02 am by Liberty-MMMM! »

jack

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 10:24:40 pm »

Don't worry, Desertrat is going to come up with an excuse for the cop...  ;)  
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 10:32:04 pm »

jack,

Of course he will.
He may not like the system but he'll defend it to the death*LoL*
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 11:01:07 pm »

Hey now.  Desertrat has managed to stay alive for quite a while living pretty independently.  If he doesn't come across as being quite the high minded idealist that some are, then maybe it's because he's a little more jaded, a little more grounded in reality than some others, not because he secretly supports the police state.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

jack

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 11:49:04 am »

Hey now.  Desertrat has managed to stay alive for quite a while living pretty independently.  If he doesn't come across as being quite the high minded idealist that some are, then maybe it's because he's a little more jaded, a little more grounded in reality than some others, not because he secretly supports the police state.
Hey man, just kidding   :D  

Have nothing agains Desertrat but you have to admit he goes the extra mile to give jbts the benefit of the doubt...
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 05:30:58 pm »

I'd say he's a little less paranoid than the average person here, that's all.
Anyway, I'm not here to defend him, nor does he need me to be.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

huntershaven

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 10:35:35 pm »

In Missouri a 17 year old can run away from home and the parents can't stop them and can in fact be charged with illegal restraint if they do. Yet the parents can be held accountable for any crimes the child commits while not at home.

Police can taser whoever they want and more than likely they will only get a wrist-slapping and return to duty. I wonder how long it will be before a child is killed by a taser.

As for police officers using force just because they can, I see that regularly. My jading is from seeing how power corrupts so many. The only good thing with these tasering events is that they still make the news. It would be worse to reach a point where tasering children becomes a regular non-newsworthy event.

If I were the parent of a tasered child, I am not sure what I would do. I grew up with the education that there is either no force or lethal force. If you draw a weapon, whether leathal or not, you had better have a good reason to do so. I don't know the details beyond the newspaper story, but I would say that the officer probably didn't want to run after the girl and just figured it was easier to taser her.

2ndmouse

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 02:33:11 am »

zap the brat with the glass shank....

oh new guy here, Hiya... zoot sent me so its all his fault.  :lol:  

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 06:12:08 pm »

I'll put my printable reactions here, the others will just swirl around in my noggin' and give me another migraine.

First - a 38 year old cop can't catch an intoxicated 12 year old girl in a foot race? Too many years sitting in a squad car stuffing his face with donuts, I guess.

Second - why wasn't she at home, where she belonged?

Third - she was running into traffic? Yeah, let's taser her so she is incapacitated and falls into the street and gets hit by a car (dumb ass).

Fourth - a 38 year old cop can't catch an intoxicated 12 year old girl in a foot race? Even sounds as if she was gaining ground. Unless he had to slow down to "draw his weapon."

Fifth - I am sick of this control thing they have to exhibit, let her go, already.

Sixth - a 38 year old cop can't catch an intoxicated 12 year old girl in a foot race?
Nelson said he fired ''for my safety along with [the girl's] safety.''
What [his] safety. He though he might go into cardiac arrest if she had more endurance than he did?
I am really getting tired of this "for the officer's safety" line of bullshit they keep plopping out to defend so many wrong actions. Like "we have to search your car for our safety." WTF, if there are any weapons in my car, I sure can't get to 'em now, and if I was a person from whom you had to worry about your safety, you would already have a bullet between your eyes. Once, when my car broke down and I was walking back to the previous exit to call for a tow, trooper pulled over and offered to help me. It was pretty cold out, and he offered to let me ride in the back of his trooper mobile back to wait at my car and use his cell phone to call for a tow. But, he wanted to "pat me down" before I got into his car. "It's just policy, for 'our' safety." Huh? I am walking out here just to ambush cops and you are still alive? I am going to wait until I am sitting behind that stupid cage to try to attack you? No thanks, I'll continue my walk to the pay phone.

Seventh - a 12 year old, smoking cigars? They call them blunts, they scoop out some of the tabaccy and replace it with weed. I think the "blunt" comes from El Producto Blunts.

Eighth - a 38 year old cop can't catch an intoxicated, stoned 12 year old girl in a foot race? For the girl's safety? owwwwww my brain hurts. I can't twist it around enough to make that concept make sense.

Welcome to the board, 2ndmouse.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 06:16:11 pm by RagnarDanneskjold »
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Lightning

• Heheheh...
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 06:30:40 pm »

Just wanted to say welcome, 2ndmouse.  Don't you go being quiet like a mouse here, now.   ;)

I am sick of this control thing they have to exhibit, let her go, already.

You said it, RD.

And the same for the "for cops' safety" BS.   :ph34r:   Besides, when did their safety and convenience start mattering more than ours?   :angry:  
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up