The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LEO's Taser 6yo at school  (Read 6857 times)

JoeCrow

LEO's Taser 6yo at school
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 11:57:21 pm »

Because that "complete stranger" was wearing a badge, a'course. It's the doctrine of custodial infallibility. No-one watches the watchmen anymore, their decisions cannot be questioned. Just as the process of election transforms a human from one of the stupid/evil plebes (who must be rigidly controlled to prevent them from falling prey to evil and/or foolishness) into a morally enlightened and intellectually superior over-man (who can be implicitly trusted to administer those controls), the acquisition of a police badge transforms it's wearer into a sublime master of both law and tactics, who sees things we mere citizens cannot and does things we are forbidden. As Judge Dredd puts it, "I am the Law" and thus, by way of extension, anything I do is legal.

No, I'm not bitter at all. Why?

Misfit

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2004, 01:38:48 am »

At some point, they are going to start killiing people with those things (if they already haven't done it.)

We've had at least two local taser deaths in recent times...one just was ruled on a few days ago. The coroner stated cause of death was homocide by taser, but the judge let the cops off. Something about they had no way of knowing that they would kill the guy by tasering him, so it's not their fault. Tasers can mess with your heart and if you've got any kind of heart problem you could be in big trouble if you get tasered. A lot of people don't even know they have heart problems and I'm sure cops aren't going around asking people if they have any health conditions before they taser them.

It seems like cops have gone taser silly lately....whatever happened to pepper spray? (Not saying they should pepper spray a 6 year old.)

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 10:41:25 pm »

I don't know about those so-called "responsible adults" in that situation...

I had a 5-year-old grandkid who figured that he was just gonna ignore what I said one time a while back.  Until I went over to where he was,  picked him up,  put him down in front of me,  and said it again (whatever it was).  Had him up off the ground under one arm,  most of his weight on my hip, and his arms immobilized.  I *DID* get his attention that time,  and he's gotten a whole lot better about that sort of things since then.  :-)

The story about the broken glass and all was a bit much -- this sounds like something an older kid would do,  not a 6-year-old.

I noticed while watching the local/CBS news a little bit ago that they covered both this incident and the other one that's being discussed in another thread,  said that "the police were reviewing their procedures" (hah!) and even showed a bit of video of the 12-year-old girl who got zapped.  I find that interesting,  that it got that far into the notice of the media,  but also note that we've been talking about it in here for what,  a week or so now?  As usual,  they lag behind...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Docliberty

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 02:25:02 am »

I think what catches my attention the most about this is the "we have to call in the authorities" attitude of the hand-wringing-politically-correct-Oh-Myers.  Any responsible adult would have taken the glass, given the 6 yr old a swat of the butt or two, and called a parent.  

The actions recounted in this story reflect a larger problem.  Specifically that more and more people in this society will not take direct action but instead will defer to some government agency who will (as in this case) defer to yet another government agency who will take an action that is totally inappropriate.  A 6 year old child with a piece of broken glass scared four adults (three of them trained security professionals) so badly that they had to resort to the same force used on criminals resisting arrest.  How many guards with machine guns would it take to herd these same people into a box car.

Oh, and the "psychological evaluation" would only last as long as it took me to get a leather belt and apply it to the backside of said 6 year old.
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

2ndmouse

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2004, 02:49:32 am »

I loved my charges like my own, but at 6 if they whipped out a glass shank in school.... I would have tazered them myself.

:lol:

Laughing Bird

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2004, 10:51:58 am »

I have two 6yo grandsons, and even at my advanced age, I can't imagine not being able to handle anything they can dish out. :rolleyes:  

ultralongrunner

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 11:40:12 am »

It seems like cops have gone taser silly lately....whatever happened to pepper spray? (Not saying they should pepper spray a 6 year old.)
They've killed plenty of people with pepper spray also.

It's just that pepper spray isn't as "effective" as tasering people, it lasts longer and the spray can get your fellow officers.  Also, if you pepper mace someone in our area, you need EMS to help the person who has been sprayed.  Tasered people simply need the barbs pulled out and they are fine--unless their heart has stopped.  

ultralongrunner
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up