The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yee-ha! Linux works!  (Read 2667 times)

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
Yee-ha! Linux works!
« on: November 11, 2004, 05:12:41 pm »

I've been wanting to make the switch from Win98 to a version of Linux for some time now, but never quite had the time/patience/motivation to go through with it. Until my 98 system blew up last week, that is. A week of having no music and having to use the dorm computer lab for internet access really made the difference. :)

I got a friend to burn me an ISO of the SuSE network install disk, and let it download SuSE 9.1 all last night. Now I'm typing this in Konqueror, listening to my music, and marveling at neato things like my fuzzy system clock. Whee! Screw you, MS!  :P  
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Junker

Yee-ha! Linux works!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 05:16:03 pm »

Congrats, Ian. Suse8.0 here. Linux works quite well.

Liberty-MMMM!

Yee-ha! Linux works!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 06:43:35 pm »

Rock and F'n Roll, I'm getting good results on my test computer too.    So long MS, and no I won't miss you.  Burn.

giddytrace

Yee-ha! Linux works!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 07:10:21 pm »

marveling at neato things like my fuzzy system clock

:D  Congrats and welcome to  the worderful world of linux.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Yee-ha! Linux works!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 09:19:25 pm »

Now I'm typing this in Konqueror, listening to my music, and marveling at neato things like my fuzzy system clock. Whee! Screw you, MS!  :P

:-)

Cool...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Yee-ha! Linux works!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 12:06:16 am »

That's great*grin*
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Leonidas the Younger

Yee-ha! Linux works!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 07:38:22 am »

<MrBurnsVoice> Excellent, another convert to communism</MrBurnsVoice>

(And YES, that was facetious, of course FOSS ain't communist..)

Welcome to the wonderful world of linux. IANAG (I am not a guru), however, do not hessitate to ask me for help. I don't run SuSE (yet - I will be doing a test of each major distro in the upcoming months), I run Gentoo. But at the heart they're the same.

I can proudly say that I have always run linux (for four years now) on my own personal machine. Excepting my vic-20 and commodore plus four I owned as a kid :D

-- Leonidas
-- It may soon be time to say: "I plead the second."; are you ready?
-- What have you *DONE* for freedom today?
-- Collectives may exist under individualism, but individuals are not suffered to exist under collectivism.
-- I don't beg anyone for my freedom any more.  It isn't theirs to give me.  It's mine to take and to live. - Lightning.
-- Educated men are as much superior to uneducated men as the living are to the dead. - Aristotle
Pages: [1]   Go Up