The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: MamaLiberty's new story  (Read 54898 times)

gaurdduck

Re: MamaLiberty's new story
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 01:00:09 pm »

Geez, now I'm gonna have to write one for my story. It's going to be hard too because I'm writing it in the first person, rather than second or third, which are the usual perspectives.

Nice to know the pre-story tho'.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 04:46:47 am »

a little foreshadowing too.  Keep going.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 06:49:08 am »

This next chapter seems to be getting even more hair raising! They only thought Perez was dead! And now he's on their tail.

May not get it posted until late, or tomorrow. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 10:17:12 am »

I hadn't taken the time to read this until today. Now I want more. I pour out energy to your muse, Mama Liberty. May she continue to serve you well.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 10:21:23 am »

I hadn't taken the time to read this until today. Now I want more. I pour out energy to your muse, Mama Liberty. May she continue to serve you well.

Thanks. :) I need all the help I can get. The more of this I write, the more horrified I am. This is just too weird.

Docliberty

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 05:03:23 pm »

Great job ML!

More more more!

Please
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 05:42:21 pm »

Sorry, folks... got a little behind this weekend and have to finish the paying stuff first. <grin> I promise the new chapter some time tomorrow. It's bubbling up inside me and I just have to let it out!

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 10:46:38 am »

The Kiss of Lady Luck

Kitty took a deep breath and stretched a bit, trying to work her elbow away from a bit of rock under the thick grass beneath her prone body. She wasn't exactly "bored," but she knew how dangerous any complacency could be. She was on guard duty, and well aware of her responsibility. Resisting the urge to look at her watch, she knew her relief would be there soon.

The spotting scope gave her an excellent view of the territory below her position, moving in measured sweeps, left to right and far to near, across the landscape slowly being illuminated by the early morning light. She had put away the night vision equipment just a few moments ago.

Suddenly, she tensed and moved the scope a fraction of an inch back to the right. There was an especially worrisome gully there that often caught her attention, but this time she thought she had seen movement. Waiting for a deer or other creature to emerge from the crack, she was startled to see a man with a backpack, and a large battle rifle. He kept low, and might have been almost invisible just a short while before.

This didn't look like a friendly visit.

Then, suddenly, two more men appeared from the crack, even as Kitty scooted back away from the edge and reached for her belt.

Activating the device in her hand, she knew that the alarm had been given to everyone at the ranch. Then she pressed a button on a post nearby, thus arming the booby traps in the gullies and washes below. Footsteps on the path up from the valley behind her announced the arrival of Pat, her relief.

Without a word, and careful not to skyline themselves, they removed the cover from the small machine gun at the edge of the cliff face, and made sure it and their own rifles were ready for action. Kitty pointed to the scope, and Pat lay down to see what Kitty had found. His sharp intake of breath and sudden tension told her he'd seen the invaders.

Lauri Donaldson was halfway across the compound before she got her gun belt buckled property. She'd over slept just a tad, and needed to hurry to start the morning coffee and breakfast preparations in the main building, but had obeyed one of the most stressed rules of the community rather than leave her heavy and very inconvenient gun behind in the rush. Even though she could see no real need for it, no adult left their cabin unarmed here and she had agreed to that rule in the beginning. She was too old to be of much use in a fight, she figured, but she respected these people and her commitment to them.

Duke, the old shepherd dog at her side suddenly growled, and she looked up to see the new man, Jason Cole, coming toward her. He had a funny look on his face, and she couldn't understand the dog's attitude, but she took greater notice as he walked closer. Something was definitely NOT right here.

She had never liked him, hard as she had tried, and her self preservation instinct went into high gear as he pulled a small gun from his pocket. Instantly, the dog rushed him and the man made the last mistake of his life - he shot the dog.

Lauri's muscles did exactly what they'd been trained to do over the last six months and her pistol came out smoothly. The three shots blended into one roar, two of them to the upper body and the third soft lead .38 slug in his face taking him down for the count.

Half a second later, Lauri was seated on the ground with the old dog's head in her lap and the smoking gun beside her. The dog was obviously dead, and she ran her fingers through the bloody fur while tears ran down her face. In her shock and grief, she didn't really see the people pouring out of the buildings around her... until Betty was helping her to her feet and two men were standing over the body of her attacker.

"Come into the house," Betty said. "We'll sort this out after a bit."

Lauri was still very shaky, and one of the men helped Betty get her into the common room and seated in a comfortable chair. From somewhere in the fog of her thinking, Lauri wondered why everyone else was up and dressed already, but she was too busy processing what had just happened to give it more than a passing thought.

Without any panic or hesitation, everyone arrived at their duty stations within a few minutes of the alarm. Every perimeter guard point had two people present, since it had almost been time for the guard to change anyway. All of the booby traps were armed, and they were as ready for war as they ever would be. There were ample signs posted at the property line, warning of the booby traps... just no indication of where they were.

It was up to the invaders to make the next move.

And, suddenly, it was obvious that they had as a series of explosions roared in the near distance. Those close to the eastern rim of the valley could hear shouts and screams and some scattered gunfire had rattled for a few minutes after that, but then all became deadly quiet.

Wishing with all her heart that Roger had been there, Betty spoke to her cousin Sam who was acting in his place. Sam was very qualified and competent, of course, but he just wasn't Roger. She smiled to herself as she said, "Well, what do we do now?"

The common room was crowded as everyone who was not at an essential post gathered to hear the reports of those who had manned the ramparts. Kitty and two men who had been relieved as guards from the eastern posts described the invaders and what had happened. Nothing had been seen by any of the other guards on duty. It became pretty clear immediately that Cole had been an infiltrator and spy, set to disable their defenses from within just before the attack. Lauri had stopped that, but the invaders hadn't correctly interpreted the gunfire from the compound and had attacked anyway - with disastrous consequences to themselves. After the booby traps had killed or injured a good number of them, and the riflemen on the ridges became evident, they had run away leaving the dead and injured behind them.

Betty was glad to see Lauri busy in the kitchen, quietly directing the other ladies as always in the preparation of their breakfast, only just a little later than usual. They were all strong, decent people here, and she loved every one of them. How they'd ever been fooled by Cole was a good question, but she knew such things couldn't always be avoided. Loving and caring about people was always risky.

Looking out of the dining room window, Betty saw that the bodies of the man and dog had been removed and someone had put sand over the blood. It still didn't seem possible that could have happened, but it had certainly reinforced the importance of their mutual commitment to remaining armed and trained.

The long tables of the dining room were a bit crowded this morning, and the moment of silence before the serving started was heavy with both prayer and emotion, in contrast to the usual light banter and happy greetings. They all felt the ominous implications of the recent attack, and yet were suddenly more closely bonded and committed to each other than ever before. A few old rivalries and disputes died suddenly, unremarked.

Sam, with a small group of older adults, looked over the cliff and down into the ravine. None of those previously identified as the wounded were moving any longer, and chances were they were dead. None of the defenders was particularly worried about them, and nobody even suggested any sort of rescue. They had been the attackers, had ignored the warnings. All responsibility for the consequences were on their own heads.

The question was what to do about the bodies. There was some risk that some of them were simply lying in wait to attack anyone who came down there, and nobody wanted to take the chance on losing one of their very thin numbers to such a fate.

"Leave them there for the coyotes and lions," said old man Justis. "Serves them right. After a few days, any decoys should give up and go away anyhow. No skin off our noses in the meantime. We can always go tumble them into the crevices and cover them later if they get to stinking too bad."

Nobody disputed that, and almost every head nodded agreement, so it was left at that for the present. They would have to go down and replace the discharged booby traps anyway, sooner or later, but for now there were plenty still in place and had remained armed. They hoped the goblins had learned their lesson and given up, but nobody was going to bet their life on it.

So, life at the Gulch went on pretty much as before. They worked and trained and cared about each other in their own individual ways and for their own purposes. Lauri tried hard to bear the burden of being a hero, and everyone else did their best not to make a big deal of it after the ceremony that evening when she was presented with the gratitude of the community and a squirming warm puppy that looked suspiciously like her old Duke. She had declined to accept the dead man's pistol, though it was her rightful property now.

"Luck, fate, preparation, love, integrity, so much more," Betty mused as she turned out the last light... They didn't know why things had turned out the way they did, but they were grateful for what they had and each other. And she sent out a silent prayer that Roger and the others would return soon, hopefully with Charlie and his family.

One more pebble on the mountain of mystery that is life.

Next chapter.... no name yet. We'll see what happens. :)

[edit... danged spell check doesn't know the difference between parameter and perimeter... and I didn't look. AGG]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:34:22 am by MamaLiberty »

coloradohermit

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 01:50:14 pm »

Oh my nerves! Pins and needles here waiting for more.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

CorbinKale

• Oath Keepers
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 09:38:15 pm »

"A few old rivalries and disputes died suddenly, unremarked."

Classic. I am enjoying the ride!
A free man doesn't beg permission to exercise his Rights.

gaurdduck

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 12:34:55 am »

As am I.

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 06:55:26 am »

MOAR, please.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Who...me?

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 12:11:33 pm »

"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 06:11:39 pm »

Some problems here... we had a power outage that crashed my computer and killed the script that recognized my mouse! I just got it put back together this afternoon. In the meantime, most of yesterday when I was off line, I wrote a long new chapter in the "windows" partition of this computer that DID recognize the mouse. Unfortunately, I saved it only to my thumbdrive and didn't print it. Now neither windows or puppy will read the file and it immediately crashes the word processor each time I try to open it!

AGGGGGG

I have company coming tomorrow, and so it may be some time Thursday before I get the new chapter posted... provided I don't have to try to completely rewrite it. I will, however, go over it and fix all the typos. It's been coming so fast I didn't take time to do much of that before. :)

But, in any case, I'll put up more just as soon as it is possible. :)

coloradohermit

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 07:29:16 pm »

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up