The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Few Good Quotes from my Friend George  (Read 2543 times)

iloilo

A Few Good Quotes from my Friend George
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:41:38 pm »

"There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people." : U.S. historian Howard Zinn, 1993

"Can any reasonable man be well disposed toward a government which makes war and carnage the only means of supporting itself?" -- Alexander Hamilton (1757-1804) Source: at the US Constitutional Convention

"Those in power need checks and restraints lest they come to identify the common good for their own tastes and desires, and their continuation in office as essential to the preservation of the nation." -- Justice William O. Douglas (1898-1980), U. S. Supreme Court Justice Source: We, The Judges, 1956

"Nationalism is our form of incest, is our idolatry, is our insanity.
"Patriotism" is its cult. It should hardly be necessary to say, that by "patriotism" I mean that attitude which puts the own nation above humanity, above the principles of truth and justice; not the loving interest in one's own nation, which is the concern with the nation's spiritual as much as with its material welfare-never with its power over other nations.
Just as love for one individual which excludes the love for others is not love, love for one's country which is not part of one's love for humanity is not love, but idolatrous worship."    Erich Fromm (1900-1980), U.S. psychologist.

"There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution." - Aldous Huxley, Tavistock Group, California Medical School, 1961

"The mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few to ride them. " Thomas Jefferson

"Because we fear the responsibility for our actions, we have allowed ourselves to develop the mentality of slaves. Contrary to the stirring sentiments of the Declaration of Independence, we now pledge "our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor" not to one another for our mutual protection, but to the state, whose actions continue to exploit, despoil, and destroy us"    Butler D. Shaffer

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Re: A Few Good Quotes from my Friend George
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:40:47 pm »

Gawt damit..................You told me not to think...............and here ya' going thinking like somebrazen hussy with a free will of her own! :laugh:
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

iloilo

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:39:10 pm »

Gawt damit..................You told me not to think...............and here ya' going thinking like somebrazen hussy with a free will of her own! :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh:
Thanks, really!
I am just beginning to post some of my stuff of my own, mostly, over here: http://iloilojones.com/
ff

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:15:07 am »

"Those in power need checks and restraints

Wouldn't it be much easier on everyone if nobody was given any "power" over others to start with?
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

iloilo

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:52:28 am »

Yes, ML, you are correct, but with Holmes, we are reading the words of a person who lived and functioned within the existing paradigm of government: one who saw government as the cure and check for government.  He did not recognize the inherent contradiction in having the foxes guard the henhouse, metaphorically typing here.Spot on.
ff

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:07:05 am »

Of course... I have this conversation soooo often with people who just can't understand why I totally reject some sort of "limited government" as a "necessary evil." And, of course, they are talking about the same kind of involuntary, central government we have, not the local, voluntary free association of individual sovereigns that would be TRUE "government."

The conversation usually ends with me asking something like... OK, then you think there is some way to achieve liberty and justice by theft, lies and murder if they are just kept small and "controlled?" What is "necessary" about any evil? It's not as if there were no alternatives.

What part of that is so hard for so many people to understand? I can't figure it out.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

gaurdduck

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 12:36:19 pm »

Of course... I have this conversation soooo often with people who just can't understand why I totally reject some sort of "limited government" as a "necessary evil." And, of course, they are talking about the same kind of involuntary, central government we have, not the local, voluntary free association of individual sovereigns that would be TRUE "government."

The conversation usually ends with me asking something like... OK, then you think there is some way to achieve liberty and justice by theft, lies and murder if they are just kept small and "controlled?" What is "necessary" about any evil? It's not as if there were no alternatives.

What part of that is so hard for so many people to understand? I can't figure it out.

People these days simply don't know how to take care of themselves anymore. They fear that which they do not understand, and belive that the government needs to protect them because they can't defend themselves. It is a form of cowardice.

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 01:28:47 pm »

They also fear what their neighbor would do if no one was pointing a gun at them.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard
Pages: [1]   Go Up