The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My vote: Poster Child for Liberty  (Read 3175 times)

NuclearDruid

My vote: Poster Child for Liberty
« on: December 26, 2009, 08:38:59 am »

I'm posting this in general discussion so that it will get more play than the relevant Agitator Thread.  Sailing around the world and bureaucrats

The family finally released the letter that Ms. Dekker wrote before she skipped country. You can see why the authorities squelched its release until they got her back "in country."

Runaway sail girl 'totally fed up with Holland'

‘Dear dad, I am totally fed up with this country. I am going to find freedom. I never want anything more to do with Holland and will never return,’

‘I would love to get my school diploma but it won’t work like this. And there’s no point anymore because I really don’t want to live here with all the stupid authorities and people…I might as well forget my world trip, they will keep extending my ward of court status until I’m 18,’

This young lady gets it more than 95% of people with three more decades under their belt. One more soul determined not to be crushed by statists! :brave: :wav:

Yet another wonderful end of the year gift to humanity.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Junker

Re: My vote: Poster Child for Liberty
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 11:28:13 am »

:laugh:

Take 'freedom' seriously and become a ward of the court...
     "No, we really didn't mean freedom, but more like
            'War is Peace' and 'Freedom is Slavery'. You know,
             that great Orwellian freedom advocate stuff."

Kyle D

• Government is essentially the negation of liberty
    • Liberty Over Safety
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 05:09:18 pm »

I went to the link and read some of the comments people from that area (Holland, presumably) were leaving. The usual BS having to do with the child being a brat and not listening, wanting to do whatever she wants. YUCK.

Can anybody tell me what it is that make people latch onto such ideals? I just do not get it.

joe621

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 06:37:13 pm »

I brought this story up at work where it's about 30/70 split between those who get it and those who don't.  Those who get it understand her wanting freedom to do as she wishes while those who don't see her as a spoiled child running away. Turned into a heated nasty discussion that may or may not lead to others waking up.

NuclearDruid

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:42:27 pm »

Most sheep are ignorant of history and therefore dismissive of her potential capabilities. Joan of Arc first heard her calling at the age of 12. Charles VII led an army against the English at the age of 13 before ascending to the French throne at 14. St. Thomas of Cori was family patriarch by age 14. Wesley So achieved the title of Grand Master in chess at age 14. Hou Yifan was the youngest female Grand Master as well. Temba Tsheri made his first attempt on Mt Everest at the age of 14. Sir Francis William Austen entered the Royal Naval Academy at age twelve and graduated at the age of 14.

The problem with most people is that they believe that if they cannot do something that no one else can or should.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

kirgi07

• Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:46:06 am »

Why look at books? I'm seeing it repeat itself live everyday. Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Sphairon

• Road to Rothbard
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 06:04:31 am »

The problem with most people is that they believe that if they cannot do something that no one else can or should.

Personally, I think people have just forgotten or repressed the kind of abilities they already possessed at such an age. Plus, public schooling creates the illusion that humans are helpless blobs until graduation day at age 18, which explains why a 14-year-old sailor seems to be such a horrifying idea to so many folks.

I'd like to close with this sensible comment from DutchNews:

We live in a global civilized society; if she can't get along with others now, how will she ever do so in the future ??

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 07:54:29 am »

We live in a global civilized society; if she can't  be forced to get along with others now, how will she ever do so in the future ??

I fixed it for them  ^_^.

It amazes me every day how much our children know regardless of age. We are the guiding hand for their education not the "be all and end all". Many educators/parents/governments hate the PUBLIC lack of control. They are willing to overlook it in many cases if it is not obvious.

In this case - she refuses to quit and has done so publically. I think that has a lot to do with this. If she was on a  Country sponsored around the world trip - she'd be a National Hero.

mutti

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Junker

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 02:00:29 pm »

Wikipedia: David Farragut

"At 12 years old while serving in the War of 1812
he received his first command, a captured British
whaling ship."

"He was the first rear admiral, vice admiral, and
full admiral of the U.S. Navy."

Sphairon

• Road to Rothbard
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 07:38:59 pm »

I fixed it for them  ^_^.

It amazes me every day how much our children know regardless of age. We are the guiding hand for their education not the "be all and end all". Many educators/parents/governments hate the PUBLIC lack of control. They are willing to overlook it in many cases if it is not obvious.

Sadly enough, "social interaction" doesn't seem to mean getting to know different people and interacting with those you like anymore, but forcing a person into a group of "peers" and seeing what happens. Who knows what kind of interesting individuals this girl would've met on her trip around the world? But clearly, she needs to learn to get along.

This would also be real education for once. Not the controlled sound bites fed to her by public schools and media outlets, but first-hand experience with people all over the globe, learning how to self-organize, how to survive in an entirely alien environment. On-the-job life training, and yes, entirely out of control for the levellers in the education bureaus - at least her parents seem to support her.

It's really frustrating how this girl's entrepreneurial spirited is being trampled on by busybodies who just need to feel in charge.

NuclearDruid

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 09:31:55 am »

Found the entire letter and used Google Translate feature.

"I do not live in the Netherlands" Laura's farewell letter

For now, I really not live, with all these stupid people and authorities. Take the cross-examination of the child. They think I am a criminal. I am not. I just had a dream where I was almost four years long with pleasure and commitment to have worked.  But, then called the attendance officer who engaged in youth and then it started gesodemieter. With litigation, media and suddenly mom who was against.  More and more I was drawn into hell.  Therefore I escape now, to make something of my life ruined. "

"Do not worry. I love you, Daddy. Very, very, very much in my heart you stay with me. Now I find freedom. Lots of hugs and kisses. "

ND
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:21:26 pm by NuclearDruid »

NuclearDruid

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 01:24:24 pm »

Sail World is reporting that Dutch Authorities have relented and given "conditional" approval to the Dread Pirate Laura's sailing.

Jessica Watson finds 'company' as she heads for the Horn

The third teen with circumnavigation ambitions (though of a more cruising nature, stopping in many ports along the way) Dutch/New Zealander 14-year-old Laura Dekker has been given a conditional green light by a Dutch Children's Court to commence her own voyage next summer.

All three girls have attracted much comment, both positive and negative, from everyone from politicians to experienced sailors about whether they should be allowed to undertake such journeys rather than spending their time at school.

We'll see if it come to pass or if they place too many conditions on their conditional.

ND

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 08:07:22 pm »

I was an enthusiastic participant in the early stages of an attempted community rejuvenation. The consultant showed us clearly that what we were doing was never going to work and gave us the keys to revival of the entrepreneurial spirit. The most startling and telling statistic he tossed out was that 8 or 9 out of 10 8th-graders expected to be self-employed, running their own businesses once out of school, BUT less than on out of 10 thought so by the 12th grade.

Our school system successfully beat that idea out of them in 4 years.

I'd say quitting upon 7th grade graduation was the optimal solution.  Sailing around the world for a year trumps being dumbed down for the next four years.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Undefined

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:38:18 pm »

Naiad
(An Ode To Laura Dekker)

Brave child,
more adult than her rulers,
more free than the wind,
wanting only to worship
the ocean
with the only prayer it hears.

Soul wild,
her passion clean and truer,
ancestors praise their kin,
(such spirits laugh at cowards)
"The ocean
calls its church to shed all fears."

And oh how they hate
the sight, the sound
of a lovely, true naiad;
set free on the waves
of the ocean
of her own life.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 08:10:42 am »

Groovy.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up