The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.  (Read 52199 times)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
Re: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2015, 02:22:58 pm »

We finished first grade day today!!!

Around these parts (near the Big Bad City in the middle of the states) kids finish school mid-May and start back the first week of August. When I went to high school down in Florida, we got out mid-June and went back a few days before Labor Day.
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2015, 07:30:16 am »

We finished first grade day today!!!

Around these parts (near the Big Bad City in the middle of the states) kids finish school mid-May and start back the first week of August. When I went to high school down in Florida, we got out mid-June and went back a few days before Labor Day.

:wav:

Awesome news moon!
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2015, 12:24:25 am »

Thanks, Knobster! I will be supplementing the book your wife was kind enough to send me over the summertime. As most homeschoolers know, homeschooling is a year-round thing!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2015, 06:30:37 am »

Thanks, Knobster! I will be supplementing the book your wife was kind enough to send me over the summertime. As most homeschoolers know, homeschooling is a year-round thing!

Yes it is!  My SHW is already thinking about the different field trips and projects to tackle over the summer.  I don't know where she gets all that strength but by golly I'm glad I married her.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2015, 01:38:47 pm »

I was over at the Ron Paul curriculum site and came across this:

The two main social sciences taught in the public schools are government and economics. Neither is taught from the position of the freedom philosophy of limited civil government. The reigning outlook is that of the welfare state.

This outlook has dominated public education from the beginning of public schools in Massachusetts in 1840s. John Taylor Gatto, the Teacher of the Year three times in New York City and once in New York State, quit teaching for the city. He has become an advocate for home schooling. In his great book, The Underground history of American Education, he wrote this.

"The religious purpose of modern schooling was announced clearly by the legendary University of Wisconsin sociologist Edward A. Ross in 1901 in his famous book, Social Control. Your librarian should be able to locate a copy for you without much trouble. In it Ed Ross wrote these words for his prominent following: "Plans are underway to replace community, family, and church with propaganda, education, and mass media…. the State shakes loose from Church, reaches out to School…. People are only little plastic lumps of human dough." Social Control revolutionized the discipline of sociology and had powerful effects on the other human sciences: in social science it guided the direction of political science, economics, and psychology; in biology it influenced genetics, eugenics, and psychobiology."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2010/08/john-taylor-gatto/waging-war-on-god-and-family/

These people believe in social science for the sake of social control. They teach social science to 6-year-olds.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2015, 02:01:30 pm »

There is no such thing as a "limited government" - probably not even if it is voluntary. Most certainly not the involuntary sort. The whole "limited government" thing is the reason I don't have much use for Ron Paul... He talks a good game otherwise, but there is always this zinger lurking in the background.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2015, 10:08:47 pm »

Children Regulated on Playgrounds

Karen De Coster   
September 25, 2015
https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/children-regulated-on-playgrounds/

A Washington school bans the game of tag to ensure the “physical and emotional safety” of students. Folks in the media can’t seem to understand why “safety” is a consideration, yet the kids are being encouraged to play the school’s rough-and-tumble team sports....

Why is this hard to understand? It’s not about physical safety, at all. It’s all about constructing sanitized, controlled environments and a supervised diversity lab for children. Spontaneous play is not quota-driven; it is not “diverse & inclusive” per some predetermined, bureaucratic decree; and it does not conform to regulated behavior. Child’s play is impromptu and unforced, and children will innately appoint natural leaders and establish a hierarchy system that governs their play, without regards to color, gender, or sexual orientation. Unpremeditated, voluntary play also does not establish politically-correct rules for opting in or out. This is not acceptable in these dark ages of government schooling.</snip>

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2015, 08:27:56 am »

Doesn't get any clearer than this... Get those children OUT of this insanity. sigh

The chain of command and the executioner in the classroom
November 2, 2015
William Norman Grigg Pro Libertate

"The 'resource officers' who prowl the hallways of government-operated schools throughout the soyuz aren't present to enhance the security of the inmates, but to be 'authority figures' -- that is, people who can inflict injury or death in order to force others to submit to their will. ... 'You should be walking around in schools every day in complete tactical equipment, with semi-automatic weapons,' ranted self-styled counter-terrorism 'expert' John Giduck in his keynote address to the 2007 National Association of School Resources Conference. 'You can no longer afford to think of yourselves as peace officers. ... You must think of yourself [sic] as soldiers in a war because we're going to ask you to act like soldiers.' A more honest description would be that SROs are commissioned to act like prison guards with unlimited discretion to discipline misbehaving inmates." (10/30/15)
http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-chain-of-command-and-executioner-in.html

TheWart

• Walk, eventually you'll find me
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2015, 12:01:46 am »

Hi all, new here.  I was home schooled from K to 4th and I thought that I ought to give my testimony that home schooled children are really a cut above the rest.

For the first 5 years of my schooling my mother was my only source of education on our rural homestead.  Math, English, Science, History and Spelling fit neatly into the hours between 08:00 and 12:00.  I didn't really realize that I was any different from anyone else until circumstances required me to enter the local public school.  When my entrance exam was graded my mother was told that her 4th grader was among the top 10% of students that ever came through that school's doors.  They even offered to put me directly into 6th grade math.  Since then I have easily excelled in all my classes (excepting P.E.: it seems that splitting wood and playing football do not use the same muscles, and I was accustomed to one and not the other).  I have been a valedictorian twice, once at eighth grade graduation and again at 12th grade graduation, and I am going to a high quality college nearly entirely on scholarships.

I am truly grateful that my mother took the time to educate me.  Homeschooling didn't teach me everything I needed to know, but more importantly it taught me how to learn.  It taught me how to be observant, how to analyze, and how to recognize the baloney that increasingly shows up in today's public education system.
"We must learn to treat the...dictator in our midst...with the weapon of ridicule." --> Proudly doing this
"A good :spam1: detector should be instilled upon every young child at an early age." - Me

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2015, 05:55:01 am »

I am truly grateful that my mother took the time to educate me.  Homeschooling didn't teach me everything I needed to know, but more importantly it taught me how to learn.  It taught me how to be observant, how to analyze, and how to recognize the baloney that increasingly shows up in today's public education system.

Blessings to your mother. I'm hoping you've expressed that gratitude to her often. I'm sure she takes great pride in your accomplishments.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2015, 02:42:25 pm »

A heartfelt, belated welcome, TheWart!  :hello:

You totally nailed it -thanks for sharing this poignant point. I homeschool and this is my personal goal. I'm sad for all the other teachers who don't grasp this very critical principle. So many moms experience burn-out, often and early enough, because they feel the pressure to "teach it all." It's humanly impossible! You were very blessed by your mother's presence in this capacity so early in your life and it sounds like you truly recognize it, too. :)

I would most welcome your sharing memories and suggestions in regards to your schooling!

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2016, 11:16:36 am »

About a year ago I was doing a rough estimate in my head about schooling costs. I told DH that I thought I could educate all the kids through high school for about $5k. Last month I made a spreadsheet of curriculums I would like/still need to purchase. The total came to $3,100. Now this does not include multiple consumables, lab equipment, copier paper and toner, additional math manipulatives and building up our home library and some other miscellaneous needs. However, it still is amazing to me in the scheme of things, in the long term, and for the return you get on your investment, it's not a large amount. Now if only I could find a benevolent benefactor!  :laugh:

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2016, 11:33:43 am »

However, it still is amazing to me in the scheme of things, in the long term, and for the return you get on your investment, it's not a large amount. Now if only I could find a benevolent benefactor!  :laugh:

The government "school" manages to go through that much money per student in what, a day or two?

Everyone wants a benevolent benefactor. Usually they just have to look in a mirror. :)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2016, 03:02:55 pm »

Everyone wants a benevolent benefactor. Usually they just have to look in a mirror. :)

Well, thanks! And I do the best I can. Of course this still takes money. But I am creative! :)

PMouserOSU

« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2016, 10:08:53 pm »

huh, server not found
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up