The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.  (Read 50576 times)

mutti

• Mutti
Re: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2012, 08:00:25 pm »

Must be some money raising scheme. Here are two PS articles about school lunches - and those who must be obeyed.

State Inspectors Searching Children’s Lunch Boxes: “This Isn’t China, Is It?”  : http://www.nccivitas.org/2012/state-inspectors-searching-childrens-lunch-boxes-this-isnt-china-is-it/
The mother, who doesn’t wish to be identified at this time, says she made her daughter a lunch that contained a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips. A state inspector assessing the pre-K program at the school said the girl also needed a vegetable, so the inspector ordered a full school lunch tray for her. While the four-year-old was still allowed to eat her home lunch, the girl was forced to take a helping of chicken nuggets, milk, a fruit and a vegetable to supplement her sack lunch.

The mother says the girl was so intimidated by the inspection process that she was too scared to eat all of her homemade lunch. The girl ate only the chicken nuggets provided to her by the school, so she still didn’t eat a vegetable.

The mother added, “It’s just a headache to keep arguing and fighting. I’ve even wrote a note to her teachers and said do not give my daughter anything else unless it comes out of her lunchbox and they are still going against me and putting a milk in front of her every day.

“Friday she came home and said ‘Mom, they give me vegetable soup and a milk,’” said the mother.

“So I went to the cafeteria to make sure she had no fee and it’s not being charged to her account yet,” she continued, ” but what concerned me was that I got a letter from the principal and it says students who do not bring a healthy lunch will be offered the missing portions which may result in a fee from the cafeteria. So if I don’t stay on top of her account on a weekly basis there’s that opportunity that charges could be put on her account and then if I let it go too far then it’s like I’m going to have a big battle.”

and that's NC. Now in Washington:

Students Racking Up Cafeteria Debt :  http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=25943

Like a lot of parents, Phoenix Smith tries to keep his six–year–old son from eating too much sugar.

Phoenix Smith: "We use that as sort of an incentive or a reward, having a, for example, a chocolate milk."

When Smith's first grader has earned a treat, he gets 50 cents to take to school for a chocolate milk to drink with his sack lunch. So Smith was puzzled when he started getting these robocalls: Robocall: "Your student has [unintelligible] a balance of negative $2 .75. Please send payment with your student to clear this debt."

That's Wendy Weyer, nutrition director for Seattle Public Schools. She says the district went to this electronic cafeteria system six years ago. The accounts are supposed to be used as debit accounts that parents put money into, but kids can charge food whether or not there's money in their accounts.

The district has an official credit limit of $10 per student, Weyer says, but it's not usually enforced.
Smith says to pay for things like chocolate milk, kids just write their PIN on a clipboard that anyone can see. That could make stealing another kid's lunch money almost a cybercrime. The district admits that kids have made fraudulent charges using other students' PINs.

I guess the goal is to enforce laws that have no meaning to earn money for your school, while teaching children how to appropriately budget their money when they get to the "real world" -

The accounts are supposed to be used as debit accounts that parents put money into, but kids can charge food whether or not there's money in their accounts.
 The accounts are supposed to be used as debit accounts that parents put money into, but kids can charge food whether or not there's money in their accounts.

...and someone else will have to pay.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2012, 05:29:12 am »

I discussed this article with one of my far-right conservative friends.  He is slowly coming around that all of life's problems won't be solved if someone with an 'R' before their name gets into the white house.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2012, 07:58:55 am »

I discussed this article with one of my far-right conservative friends.  He is slowly coming around that all of life's problems won't be solved if someone with an 'R' before their name gets into the white house.

That so bears repeating.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2012, 12:08:54 pm »

No pressure here, of course...  Get those kids OUT of those indoctrination camps. sigh

TX: Pro Obama chant taught to kindergarteners
February 16, 2012
The Blaze   

"Kindergarteners at a Texas elementary school were sent home with lyrics to a pro-President Barack Obama song that included such lines as 'Barack Obama is the man' and 'He’s our man, yes we can!' ... Included with the lyrics was an apparent memo to kindergarten teachers that said kindergarteners would be 'required' to learn the chant for the program." (02/10/12)
http://bit.ly/xjcs05
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 12:42:05 pm »

We've got a ditty the kids learn here as well:

"Bolts back, mags out, flags in, safteys on, ground your rifle, step back. "

So far - no printouts are needed  :rolleyes:.

gaurdduck

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2012, 01:36:22 pm »

Mutti must be such an awesome parent... When I have my own kids, I know where to go for advice...

EwB

• resident of chaos manor
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2012, 04:17:42 pm »

This Friday the 7th of my ten come out of public school and into home school.  It is taking us some time to work the logistics of home schooling all 10 kids, but we are almost there.  I will have two left in high school and one in middle.  The plans are to have them all out by this coming fall.  Hopefully by then, our house will have sold and we can have the most of the new house done.  The new house includes a training room/classroom.  One can dream.

EwB

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2012, 09:03:00 pm »

Yuki - I appreciate the idea, but I know 4 minions who would disagree with you  :rolleyes:
Parenting is sort of like driving a car very, very fast - focus and dedication!

EwB

• resident of chaos manor
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2012, 09:21:53 pm »

Yuki - I appreciate the idea, but I know 4 minions who would disagree with you  :rolleyes:
yep,  driving while arguing philosophy, performing minor surgery, cooking for a small army, and juggling Goslings. 

Blink and something's going to get dropped, popped, or stopped. ^_^

EwB

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2012, 09:35:25 pm »

yep,  driving while arguing philosophy, performing minor surgery, cooking for a small army, and juggling Goslings. 

EwB

LOL - and I only have a few to contend with  ^_^

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2012, 05:47:17 am »

EwB
:laugh:
My wife just mentioned the other day (after a stressful homeschooling day): "I feel like I'm going a hundred miles an hour while juggling!"

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2012, 05:49:10 am »

Almost sounds like you all are out with the Garands.  (minus the 'mags out' part)

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2012, 08:54:49 am »

Almost sounds like you all are out with the Garands.  (minus the 'mags out' part)

Glenda is off @ the Garand doctor to get a thorough going over (sigh - I miss her), but we're working on the Rifleman's Quarter Mile in everything from Rugers to Bolt Action. (My latest attempt with the Marlin: )

ND used her @ the last AS and made a 199. A few more AQTs and he would have re-qualified.  We only have 1 minion left (9 yo) who hasn't qualified. He is still using the Cricket though and has the love of "fast shooting" vs accurate.

Khan Academy has captured the attention of the Minions. They rush to do additional work to compete for Badges. It seems to be a Chemistry week for them.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

InLiberty

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2012, 09:29:09 pm »

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/kids-all-over-america-are-being-put-on-buses-and-sent-to-alternate-locations-during-school-terror-drills

In some cases, children are told during these "exercises" that a particular group of Americans is attacking the school.

For example, during a terror drill at a public school in Muskegon County, Michigan, students and teachers were told that "homeschoolers" were the ones attacking them....

"The exercise will simulate an attack by a fictitious radical group called Wackos Against Schools and Education who believe everyone should be homeschooled. Under the scenario, a bomb is placed on the bus and is detonated while the bus is traveling on Durham, causing the bus to land on its side and fill with smoke."

You can't make this stuff up....
Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces. ~ Étienne de La Boétie

gaurdduck

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2012, 10:37:24 pm »

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/kids-all-over-america-are-being-put-on-buses-and-sent-to-alternate-locations-during-school-terror-drills

In some cases, children are told during these "exercises" that a particular group of Americans is attacking the school.

For example, during a terror drill at a public school in Muskegon County, Michigan, students and teachers were told that "homeschoolers" were the ones attacking them....

"The exercise will simulate an attack by a fictitious radical group called Wackos Against Schools and Education who believe everyone should be homeschooled. Under the scenario, a bomb is placed on the bus and is detonated while the bus is traveling on Durham, causing the bus to land on its side and fill with smoke."

You can't make this stuff up....

Making it up would make too much sense since logic would come into play... >.>
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up