The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.  (Read 51377 times)

knobster

• Come and take!
Re: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2012, 05:43:51 am »

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/kids-all-over-america-are-being-put-on-buses-and-sent-to-alternate-locations-during-school-terror-drills

In some cases, children are told during these "exercises" that a particular group of Americans is attacking the school.

For example, during a terror drill at a public school in Muskegon County, Michigan, students and teachers were told that "homeschoolers" were the ones attacking them....

"The exercise will simulate an attack by a fictitious radical group called Wackos Against Schools and Education who believe everyone should be homeschooled. Under the scenario, a bomb is placed on the bus and is detonated while the bus is traveling on Durham, causing the bus to land on its side and fill with smoke."

You can't make this stuff up....
Wow.  Just shared this with my SHW.  Her eyes are opening more and more with each passing day.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2012, 09:07:25 am »

Crazy, Crazy. This reminds me of the drills we had in Foster Care in the late 70's/early 80's. The Foster Mom had lived/been exposed to the Peoples Temple - now that was scary (She still believed that JJones was the son of G-d).

I'm thankful each day we have made the choices we have. I'm thrilled that others here have the opportunity as well.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2012, 06:38:52 pm »

Missouri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oK1xSJPHdCU

Basically 6 yo/Kindergardener has to use the potty.
Teacher says "No" school is doing a test (MAPS).
Child loses control being rescued later by her parents (with stuff still leaking down her leg).
Noted child isn't even required to have testing until 3rd grade, but Teacher wants her to be prepared for the future.

I believe that MAPS testing is a multi-day, multi-section, multi-hour test. Diapers are not provided.

Of course they did provide a garbage bag and she only had to wait 15 minutes for the test to finish (according to the school) - then the parental notification followed by a 20 minute trip to get the little girl.

But her parent is hoping "Policy will change." -

:thumbsdown:

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2012, 06:10:01 am »

So the neighborhood kids started 'school' this week.  (the three who spend half their waking hours at our house)  So I ask them how school was: the 5-yr old told me all the rules that they learned: the sign for 'listen', 'be quiet', 'sit still', and on and on.  The 7-yr old told me he hated it.  The 9-yr old just shrugged.

Meanwhile, my three are happily showing me all the stuff they did, including the science book my 8-yr old is keeping that shows all his experiments, results, discussion of said results, etc.  It is funny (or sad really) how the other kids look at all the stuff my wife does for school and whine that they want to be homeschooled as well.  Some days my heart simply breaks for them.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2012, 08:52:52 am »

Some days my heart simply breaks for them.

Yep. You can look at it from the other side as providing an alternative concept through showing them the "Fun" in Fundamentals - learning by living I suppose you could call it.

A neighbor just sent her Grand kids back to school. She'd asked about Homeschooling and was interested - just not interested enough to take that "leap". First week back we had her Grandson tell us about the teacher telling him a "fact" about the American Revolution time line. He'd been to an Appleseed earlier in the Summer and attempted to refute the concept presented. Wack-thwack-down any "alternate" theory to the accepted classroom programme.

(Our child looked up the information, called him, provided him with the dates and encouraged him to keep thinking even when Adults were wrong.)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2012, 08:58:59 am »

First week back we had her Grandson tell us about the teacher telling him a "fact" about the American Revolution time line. He'd been to an Appleseed earlier in the Summer and attempted to refute the concept presented. Wack-thwack-down any "alternate" theory to the accepted classroom programme.

Oh, my goodness, does this ever bring back memories. :) My sons and I had a running battle with the "official" stories every single year, especially over Lincoln and the "civil" war. I've been "nose to nose" with more than one "teacher," you can bet. Oh how I wish homeschooling had been an option then. sigh
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

hangman

• Senator, +Lampost, +Rope. Some assembly required
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2012, 03:26:22 pm »

I still think the best idea is neighborhood schools. One room or former residences like so many doctors are using. Kind of neighborhood home schooling.
Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils.

"Resist much, obey little." ~ Walt Whitman

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws. EDWARD ABBEY

bennie

« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2012, 04:31:33 am »

So the neighborhood kids started 'school' this week.  (the three who spend half their waking hours at our house)  So I ask them how school was: the 5-yr old told me all the rules that they learned: the sign for 'listen', 'be quiet', 'sit still', and on and on.  The 7-yr old told me he hated it.  The 9-yr old just shrugged.

Neighbor kids down the road, boy about 12 and girl about 14 I reckon. Limited interaction with them but over the last several years have had conversations from time to time. Most pleasant, polite, look-you-in-the-eye, shake you hand, and "yes sir, no sir" kids you could ever meet. I got a puppy, for a friend, from them last spring. Dad is a local cop and the wife are both very nice and they would do anything for a neighbor (when  hurricane hit us in 2008 they came by first thing to make sure we were ok and to let us know they had water via a hand well pump and to help ourselves). We don't socialize with the family except for a howdy in passing on the road. The 12 y/o boy will drive an old pk-up over to our house to collect his dogs every once in awhile.

Anyways, I watch those kids, over the years, when I am coming home from work in the mornings. Their bus picks them up at 6:40 am, on the dot, to take them to public school. At the first of the school year they always are standing out by the road with big smiles and waving to me, yelling "Hi Bennie" as I pass by. Just like clockwork, by the end of October they will be standing there without a smile, looking down at the ground, and barely lift a hand in recognition. If I stop to say hello, the smile comes back, but leaves as soon as I depart. I know that "school" is beating their butts.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:35:09 am by bennie »

Lonewolf72

« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2012, 10:09:49 pm »

My son calls going to school "going to prison". The way that they have gotten, I have trouble disagreeing. Security camera's in the halls, and all but the main door locked, so that the only entrance is the main door.

This yeat the school decided that any absence for a family function, with the exception of funerals, etc, is an unexcused absence. Which means our annual grouse huning trip will either be canceled, or I have to come up with a creative story for the idiots.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2012, 10:15:35 pm »

Which means our annual grouse huning trip will either be canceled, or I have to come up with a creative story for the idiots.
No....No way. Just be honest about it. Keep hold of your integrity. What can they really do? NOTHING! They'd shit bricks....sure! I mean, missing school to go........HUNT.....with GUNS! But could they really DO anything about it?.......No.....

Lonewolf72

« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2012, 10:51:19 pm »

kind of thinking about telling them that he has a fever, but neglecting the information that it is "hunting fever"

Or just tell them to stuff it in there posterior cavern.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2012, 06:04:37 am »

Here 10 absences (including illness) per semester requires a student to repeat the semester - ouch. Too bad your Son's "Environmental Ornithology Conservation Field Trip" cannot be presented as such... figure out a way to use their own BS to get what you need.

I'm sure somewhere there must be some Schools that aren't this way.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2012, 06:55:01 am »

Tell them your son is going to attend a lesbian/gay/transgender wedding.  They will gladly excuse him then!  Heck, they may give him an 'A' for the day.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2012, 08:29:10 am »

A Terrifying Way to Discipline Children : http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/opinion/sunday/a-terrifying-way-to-discipline-children.html

IN my public school 40 years ago, teachers didnt lay their hands on students for bad behavior. They sent them to the principals office. But in todays often overcrowded and underfunded schools, where one in eight students receive help for special learning needs, the use of physical restraints and seclusion rooms has become a common way to maintain order.

Its a dangerous development, as I know from my daughters experience. At the age of 5, she was kept in a seclusion room for up to an hour at a time over the course of three months, until we discovered what was happening. The trauma was severe.

According to national Department of Education data, most of the nearly 40,000 students who were restrained or isolated in seclusion rooms during the 2009-10 school year had learning, behavioral, physical or developmental needs, even though students with those issues represented just 12 percent of the student population. African-American and Hispanic students were also disproportionately isolated or restrained.

snip -

I saw firsthand the impact of these practices six years ago when my daughter, Rose, started kindergarten in Lexington, Mass. Rose had speech and language delays. Although she sometimes became overwhelmed more quickly than other children, she was called a model of age-appropriate behavior by her preschool. One evaluation said Rose was happy, loves school, is social. She could, however, get fidgety and restless when she is unsure as to what is expected of her. When comfortable, Rose is a very participatory and appropriate class member with a great deal to contribute to her world.

Once in kindergarten, Rose began throwing violent tantrums at home. She repeatedly watched a scene from the film Finding Nemo in which a shark batters its way into a tiny room, attempting to eat the main characters. The school provided no explanation or solution. Finally, on Jan. 6, 2006, a school aide called saying that Rose had taken off her clothes. We needed to come get her.

At school, her mother and I found Rose standing alone on the cement floor of a basement mop closet, illuminated by a single light bulb. There was nothing in the closet for a child no chair, no books, no crayons, nothing but our daughter standing naked in a pool of urine, looking frightened as she tried to cover herself with her hands. On the floor lay her favorite purple-striped Hanna Andersson outfit and panties.

Rose got dressed and we removed her from the school. We later learned that Rose had been locked in the closet five times that morning. She said that during the last confinement, she needed to use the restroom but didnt want to wet her outfit. So she disrobed. Rather than help her, the school called us and then covered the narrow doors small window with a file folder, on which someone had written Dont touch!

snip -

Meanwhile, Rose is back in public school and has found it within her to forgive those involved in her case. They werent bad people, she told me. They just didnt know about working with children.

bad, bad, bad. I cannot imagine what this group of children will deal with - wouldn't this be torture for adults to be treated this way?

Thankfully - even though offered a 16% raise over the next 4 years -  Chicago Teachers have decided to strike today: http://www.suntimes.com/15054902-761/chicago-teachers-strike-for-first-time-in-25-years-contingency-sites-ready-charters-remain-open.html

400K students will have the opportunity to miss those "special" disciplinary moments.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2012, 10:28:47 am »

Oh my gosh... this:

One evaluation said Rose was happy, loves school, is social. She could, however, get fidgety and restless when she is unsure as to what is expected of her. When comfortable, Rose is a very participatory and appropriate class member with a great deal to contribute to her world.

Describes my middle daughter to the T.

Meanwhile, Rose is back in public school and has found it within her to forgive those involved in her case. They werent bad people, she told me. They just didnt know about working with children.

Rose said this?  Wow.  I don't think I would be able to forgive anyone who did this to my child.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up