The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.  (Read 44548 times)

mutti

• Mutti
Re: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 01:10:36 pm »

Another reason not to purchase matching lunch boxes: N.C. : Lunchbox mix-up leads to charges for Sanford teen

An athletic and academic standout in Lee County said a lunchbox mix-up has cut short her senior year of high school and might hurt her college opportunities.

Ashley Smithwick, 17, of Sanford, was suspended from Southern Lee High School in October after school personnel found a small paring knife in her lunchbox.

Smithwick said personnel found the knife while searching the belongings of several students, possibly looking for drugs.

“She got pulled into it. She doesn’t have to be a bad person to be searched,” Smithwick’s father, Joe Smithwick, said.

The lunchbox really belonged to Joe Smithwick, who packs a paring knife to slice his apple. He and his daughter have matching lunchboxes.

“It’s just an honest mistake. That was supposed to be my lunch because it was a whole apple,” he said.

This month, Ashley Smithwick, a soccer player who takes college-level courses, was charged with misdemeanor possession of a weapon on school grounds. She is no longer allowed to set foot on campus.

More mindless Administrators.

YARTHS
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 06:12:54 am »

........Just.........<Throws up hands and walks away>     too stupid!
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 10:36:33 am »

........Just.........<Throws up hands and walks away>     too stupid!

Here's a funny little question to consider. How many parents would it take to ignore this "zero tolerance" and send fingernail clippers to school before the situation could be changed?

Part of my brain thinks if just 1% refused to comply the schools would reshape the policy in order to not lose the daily funding.

Every time I see one of these insane stories I write a "letter to the editor" of the local paper encouraging individuals to look at what the situation is really about. Control of: peanut butter, paring knives, candy canes that can be sharpened to be a dangerous weapon, etc. is not the ultimate purpose. It is absolute obedience that is being taught in our Public Schools.

I guess this is another of my tilting at windmill points.
(maybe I should attach some Kwh generators to those windmills and save a few FRNs  ^_^)
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2011, 09:23:02 am »

School Surveys 7th-Graders on Oral Sex

A middle school in Massachusetts is under fire for requiring children to complete a graphic sex survey -- without parental knowledge or consent -- that included questions about sexual partners and oral sex.

The school has no responsibility because they were "just following orders" (in order to complete a Grant requirement).

Principal Fran Thomas told Fox News Radio that students were indeed given the survey – and admits it was graphic. But Thomas said the school has nothing to do with the content and they were required to administer the survey to fulfill a grant requirement.

“I can take no responsibility for what’s on that survey,” Thomas said. “It’s not generated by the school system.”

Thomas said the survey was funded by a federal grant and administered by LUK Inc., a local social services agency -- in coordination with the Centers for Disease Control.

“It was not optional,” he said. “It’s part of a grant that they applied for and the district said you have to administer this survey.”

There is the mention that a "passive consent form" was sent, but never received by the parent.

Interesting what a few decades can do. I remember being 12 and don't believe this was a subject we covered. Of course soon I get to be a "Grumpy Old Crazy Goat Lady" and complain about everything - hey - wait........................

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2011, 10:19:03 am »

Wow...

My wife and I have decided on a curriculum and are excited (and scared) to start down this journey!

Thank God we are getting out of the public school system.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2011, 05:29:56 am »

My wife and I are now fully committed to homeschool our three children.  We are in the process of getting the dining area transformed into a learning center.  We have been fortunate that all of her friends are very supportive of the decision.  Her father (big-time liberal who taught in public school for years) is a little less excited.  He supports our decision but will ask somewhat inane questions.  Like how she will deal with a child who misbehaves in class.  She had to explain to him that she is teaching our children, not everyone in the neighborhood...  I'm still not sure if he completely understands what we're doing.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2011, 07:41:31 am »

Yeah - Parents - whatcha' gonna do with them  ^_^.

Most inane statement from our family was years ago "They need to be socialized to learn to operate in the real world". My response in '02 was "If I want them to receive the real world training that I received in L.A. public schools,  I'd install a police guard at the bathroom door, wand them as they came in the front/back door and periodically ban them from thinking." I got the blank look and then "Did you really have police on your campus?" Shows you how involved they were.

You'll do great! There are as many ways to Homeschool as there are homeschoolers! The great thing? As the educator, you can react quickly to any issues that show additional need or extraordinary skills. Most families do come around when your minions cannot help but burst out what they are learning - after all they are the "perfect grand-children!"

Can you involve him? As an educator and person with lots of real life experience (think hobby), what can he do to contribute? Make him feel part of the situation and maybe it will be a smoother transition?

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2011, 10:12:16 am »

Can you involve him? As an educator and person with lots of real life experience (think hobby), what can he do to contribute? Make him feel part of the situation and maybe it will be a smoother transition?

Hmm...  now there is a possibility.  I'll have to discuss this with my DW.  Thanks!

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2011, 11:05:16 am »

Knobster - That's great news! And I'm glad you've received mostly support from others. Good luck!

On a side note, when people mention the whole "socializing" thing, I reply with: "Really?! You mean you waited until your kids were five so you could have their teacher show them proper manners?" They reply with, "No." So then I tell them, "Right, that's because it's up to parents to show their kids how to socialize, not school."
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2011, 11:42:31 am »

Church, sunday school, youth group, scouts, little league, 4H...

They are just jealous because homeschoolers do not have to pick their kids up at school and run them through a drive-through for dinner in order to rush them to these activities.  The homeschoolers get to have wholesome, home-cooked meals (that the kids get to learn how to cook too!) and eat and relax as a family before going to AS MANY of those activities that involved SOCIAL INTERACTION with others as they want.

I guess they think that because schools are actually prisons, and children are required to stay there every day, that home-school is also a prison, and you have to stay home every day.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2011, 12:40:28 pm »

Klapton - That is an important part of the discussion we have with people.

When our minions go to events, 4H, dinner - even shopping at the rural king or an auction - it is an "Event".  With something to look forward to and the planning that must go along with that (they are responsible for making the calender clear as to their events), the "running" that so many people feel forced to do is avoided.  (We of course do have spontaneous days as well)

To be truthful, I'm thankful that for right now they are satisfied to blend "out of home events" with "in home events".

I cringe when I ask friends "So - how is Jane" and find out they don't know. On the bus at 6:40 am, after school mandatory whatever (Social Awareness Volunteering drives me nuts!) on alternate days combined with a 4:40 pm arrival home to scoot on to some other required practice until it is time to eat, do school work, catch up chores and sleep. A few years ago when I asked this question the mom answered, "I don't know. Since she got her drivers license, I don't see her unless she needs something."  Seriously - she didn't see her own 16 year old daughter 6 out of 7 days. At that's the "norm".

I'd miss my kids.....most days  ^_^

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2011, 01:22:57 pm »

Wow...

My wife and I have decided on a curriculum and are excited (and scared) to start down this journey!

Thank God we are getting out of the public school system.

When my wife and I first thought about home schooling our daughter, it was a daunting idea.
But we reminded ourselves that we were getting her out of a dangerous environment, and we
could not do a worse job than the public school was doing.

She went back into the public school system at High School and did well. Her only adjustment
was to learn to work within arbitrary time limits, and to learn to accept that some people are
satisfied with less than perfect work as long as it's turned in on time. Eventually she went on
and got her Masters. I guess home schooling "didn't hurt her none". :o

You'll do fine. The most important part is that you care, and talk with your kids.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

mutti

• Mutti

Cameras linked directly to police stations planned for some Illinois schools

Security cameras linked directly to police stations may be coming to 14 troubled Chicago high schools in a bid to create a safer atmosphere.

If I were a parent who had to send children here, I'd fight this tooth and nail. As one commenter stated, why not just station Military in each school? How long until the "home life" of said misbehaving students is identified and we have cameras in each home. Nip it in the bud as it were..............................

YARTHS

DiabloLoco

Cameras linked directly to police stations planned for some Illinois schools

Security cameras linked directly to police stations may be coming to 14 troubled Chicago high schools in a bid to create a safer atmosphere.

If I were a parent who had to send children here, I'd fight this tooth and nail. As one commenter stated, why not just station Military in each school? How long until the "home life" of said misbehaving students is identified and we have cameras in each home. Nip it in the bud as it were..............................

YARTHS

Many schools already have metal detectors and pat-downs. Also illegal locker searches. I guess the way they figure it, if those infringments on liberties went unchallenged, why would police linked cameras?

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:01 am »

If it's necessary to have cameras in your child's school 'to keep them safe', then it
is time to get them out NOW.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up