The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.  (Read 51479 times)

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
Re: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2013, 01:16:11 am »

How anyone in the district can send their kids to an asylum run by the lunatics is beyond me. 

I remember picking up my daughter from pubic HS for a pocket knife and walking out thinking she got a full week off for good behavior.  The office workers suspected my attitude wasn't exactly what they wanted, but didn't have anything else to do.

Now I'd be pushing them for a longer suspension.

Nah. They simply wouldn't be vulnerable to those folks.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2013, 10:56:39 am »

I met a friend at the park Monday so our kiddos could play together. She invited one of her friends, too. This gal didn't have much of a filter. When she asked where my kids would be going for kindergarten I told her I would be homeschooling. She told me that she used to teach kindergarten, but that she's scared to teach her own kids. She said that when she mentioned maybe homeschooling her kids her DH asked her if she was crazy. Then he said that no, he wants his kids to be "normal" and go to a "normal" school and be "normal" kids with other "normal" kids. It must have dawned on her how that came across because a few minutes later she said, "not that your kids aren't normal." I just smiled (because honestly I wasn't offended, I pitied her to some degree) and said, "Your husband's opinion doesn't rustle my feathers. I am well aware of how others view homeschooling and I don't care. I am doing what's right for my kids." Then I had to bite my tongue because part of me wanted to add, "And you and yours are another reason why I am glad I am homeschooling my beloved."
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2013, 04:12:26 pm »

I met a friend at the park Monday so our kiddos could play together. She invited one of her friends, too. This gal didn't have much of a filter. When she asked where my kids would be going for kindergarten I told her I would be homeschooling. She told me that she used to teach kindergarten, but that she's scared to teach her own kids. She said that when she mentioned maybe homeschooling her kids her DH asked her if she was crazy. Then he said that no, he wants his kids to be "normal" and go to a "normal" school and be "normal" kids with other "normal" kids. It must have dawned on her how that came across because a few minutes later she said, "not that your kids aren't normal." I just smiled (because honestly I wasn't offended, I pitied her to some degree) and said, "Your husband's opinion doesn't rustle my feathers. I am well aware of how others view homeschooling and I don't care. I am doing what's right for my kids." Then I had to bite my tongue because part of me wanted to add, "And you and yours are another reason why I am glad I am homeschooling my beloved."

:wav:  :thumbsup:

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

PJ

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »

Florida Teacher Suspended for Touching Student with 'Banana Penis'

A former Teacher of the Year at North Marion High School in Marion County, Florida, was suspended without pay after a student complained that he touched her inappropriately with a banana during a college-level lecture on "cylinder objects, phalluses and/or sex symbols."

The incident took place three months ago, but the student only came forward last week.

A discipline letter sent to Jonathan Hampton claims the teacher "crossed a line" while discussing the "Freudian implications" of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

The student alleges that Hampton "rubbed [her] head and neck area with a banana," leaving her embarrassed and humiliated.

"That is disgusting, very disgusting," said the grandmother of a student at the school. "I don't think he should be allowed to teach kids. You don't do stuff like that and get away with it."

Hampton's lawyer (and stepfather) Mark Fiedelholtz says the entire thing was blown out of proportion, and that Hampton tapped a student with a banana from his lunch to get her attention, and that sometimes a banana is just a banana.

"There was nothing else to it," the attorney said.

After conducting its own investigation into the matter, the school district issued Hampton an official reprimand saying it was poor judgement on his part to use "a banana to make physical contact with a student."

The teacher has since completed the three-day suspension and was allowed to return to class.
http://tinyurl.com/lv3zadw
I don't quite know what to say...I certainly don't remember classes like this when I was in public school, and I took honors classes.  Of course, that was quite awhile ago (1970's).  But...Freudian analysis of cylinder objects and such???

bennie

« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2013, 01:07:00 am »

(I've probably mentioned this family before on this forum. I don't know them personally but my wife does because she knows everybody since she runs the little 1 person post office.)

Little town I live outside of (pop about 230), is  a family that has 6 kids. They homeschool. In yesterdays weekly paper from the town of 2000, 15 miles away, one of the boys in the family is the Valedictorian for this school year. The family homeschools until the kid is a sophomore or junior, and then they go to the high school 15 miles away.

This is the 3rd time (in my almost 8 years of living here) that one of their kids is the valedictorian. The oldest got a full scholarship to Texas A&M and graduated with honors 1 1/2 years ago. The 2nd boy is presently going to Texas A&M on scholarship. This 3rd one I guess will do the same. There are still 2 more boys and one girl at home. The youngest is 6 y/o.

They have a small brick home, with several acres, just inside the city limits of our town. They garden and have a few animals they raise. Everything about them is neat as a pin. When one, or more, of them come into the post office you have never met more relaxed, friendly, pleasant, well-mannered, and  put together folks. The parents are just salt of the earth good people. The kids are a joy to talk to (according to my wife) and not a bit of fake or phoneyism to them. Several times I have driven by their place and seen them at work or play. They seem like genuinely happy people.

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2013, 04:48:38 pm »

Here is one from San Bernadino CA-
California school district says kids won’t have to kneel in front of principal anymore
Principal Dana Carter’s bizarre kneeling policy was supposed to be a way to calm down overexcited children. But some parents thought the rule was belittling and controlling.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/california-elementary-school-kids-reportedly-forced-kneel-principal-article-1.1436025#ixzz2daNvGF2V
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2013, 06:57:02 am »

Happy, polite and friendly people who homeschool?  No way!  There must be something wrong!  I just don't buy it.  Happiness can only be found at the fed.gov indoctrination camps.  Stop spreading your horribly inaccurate stories!  Hail our dear leaders!!!

[/sarc]

P.S. Great story bennie
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

bennie

« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2013, 01:28:51 am »

Happy, polite and friendly people who homeschool?  No way!  There must be something wrong!  I just don't buy it.  Happiness can only be found at the fed.gov indoctrination camps.  Stop spreading your horribly inaccurate stories!  Hail our dear leaders!!!

[/sarc]

P.S. Great story bennie

Something else my wife told me about the family that I did not know. The father teaches high school in the town of 2000, 15 miles away, that the kids spend their last couple of years going to after home-schooling. He has been there teaching for over 15 years. A few months ago a school in a Houston suburb made him an excellent offer and they planned to move....the wife came into the post office asking about an address change and told my wife the story....saying they were not sure if they were going to sell their place or not because the thought of uprooting to move to mega city was overwhelming in their thinking no matter how good the offer.

In fact, a couple of weeks ago, they turned the offer down and will continue to live in tiny town here in the piney woods.

NuclearDruid

« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2013, 10:08:25 am »

Nice story Bennie. Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure we could ever move back to the burbs either. I hope that the family did what was in their best interest. That's all that really matters in the end.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

clarence

• sui juris, in propia persona
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2013, 05:49:59 pm »

dad arrested for picking up kids at school by foot

in tennessee, seems the local school board has make rules requiring a car to pick up children after school.  the comments are revealing (like no support for this).

clarence
je suis contre

tu ne cede malis

"Don't feel bad, most species of large mammal die off...it's just our turn." Herb Ruhs, MD

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2014, 02:05:00 pm »

Lunches seized from Utah school kids because of unpaid hills

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/30/22504777-reports-lunches-seized-from-utah-schoolkids-because-of-unpaid-bills?lite

By Henry Austin, NBC News contributor

Dozens of children at a Utah school had their lunches seized and thrown away because they did not have enough money in their accounts, prompting an angry response from parents, it was reported. Up to 40 kids suffered similar treatment, given fruit and milk as their lunches were thrown away, the station reported.  

Erica Lukes called the move “traumatic and humiliating” and told the Salt Lake Tribune she was all paid up. "I think it’s despicable," she said. "These are young children that shouldn’t be punished or humiliated for something the parents obviously need to clear up."

Salt Lake City District Spokesperson Jason Olsen told the Tribune that parents had been notified about negative balances on Monday and a child nutrition manager had decided to withhold lunches to deal with the issue. They were thrown away because once food is served to one student it can’t be served to another, he explained.
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

DiabloLoco

« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2014, 05:17:36 pm »

Here's another one for you-

NYC school cuts popular gifted program over lack of diversity: report

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/30/nyc-school-cuts-popular-gifted-program-over-lack-d/

A popular gifted-student program at a New York City elementary school is getting the ax after school officials decided it lacked diversity.
PS 139 Principal Mary McDonald told parents in a letter Jan. 24 that Students of Academic Rigor, or SOAR, would no longer accept applications for incoming kindergartners, the New York Daily Newsreported.
“Our Kindergarten classes will be heterogeneously grouped to reflect the diversity of our student body and the community we live in,” Miss McDonald said in the letter posted on Flickr.com.
At least one parent described SOAR as largely white, while others disagreed, the report said.
One mother conceded the program did have a lot of white students, but worried gifted students now won’t be challenged enough.
“Where are they going to put the higher-level students? Sometimes, there are different levels, and teachers can’t handle all the levels in one class,” she told the Daily News.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2015, 05:59:06 am »

Talking with my SHW last night about the end of the school year - plan to be done the Friday before Memorial Day.  Our son overheard this and exclaimed, "What?  But <insert neighbor boy's name> is done at the same time!"  We were surprised to hear this news.  The public schools have taken many snow/ice days and at least once a week there are "teacher inservice days" which means half-days (but still counted as full days).  No to mention every other Friday off from school.  Come to think of it, it's rare that they receive 5 days worth of learning every week!

It's hard to explain to a 10-yr old that he will be much better prepared to face the world after all this hard work vs skating through indoctrination camps...

DiabloLoco

« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2015, 06:07:38 am »

Talking with my SHW last night about the end of the school year - plan to be done the Friday before Memorial Day.  Our son overheard this and exclaimed, "What?  But <insert neighbor boy's name> is done at the same time!"  We were surprised to hear this news.  The public schools have taken many snow/ice days and at least once a week there are "teacher inservice days" which means half-days (but still counted as full days).  No to mention every other Friday off from school.  Come to think of it, it's rare that they receive 5 days worth of learning every week!

It's hard to explain to a 10-yr old that he will be much better prepared to face the world after all this hard work vs skating through indoctrination camps...
Wow. That's early. Schools around here run until early-mid June, depending on the number of "snow days".

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2015, 09:11:43 am »

Wow. That's early. Schools around here run until early-mid June, depending on the number of "snow days".
That's what we thought.  Last year they were released the first week of June.  Guess the rules have changed and they require even less now!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up