The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.  (Read 51478 times)

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
Re: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2012, 09:12:01 am »

I just remember "The Corner"  now refferred to as a time out.  usually only for a matter of "eternal minutes" and you never felt forgotten about or foisted off as inimportant either.   Hours at a time in a different room would feel like the equivalent of a Gitmo sentance, tossed on an island and forgotten........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2012, 12:00:52 pm »

How long until there is some study suggesting that little Johnny or Jill is being deprived of life of less blah and should, well, must take whatever. so sad.

Attention Disorder or Not, Pills to Help in School : http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/health/attention-disorder-or-not-children-prescribed-pills-to-help-in-school.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

When Dr. Michael Anderson hears about his low-income patients struggling in elementary school, he usually gives them a taste of some powerful medicine: Adderall.

Dr. Anderson is one of the more outspoken proponents of an idea that is gaining interest among some physicians. They are prescribing stimulants to struggling students in schools starved of extra money — not to treat A.D.H.D., necessarily, but to boost their academic performance.

On the Rocafort family’s kitchen shelf in Ball Ground, Ga., next to the peanut butter and chicken broth, sits a wire basket brimming with bottles of the children’s medications, prescribed by Dr. Anderson: Adderall for Alexis, 12; and Ethan, 9; Risperdal (an antipsychotic for mood stabilization) for Quintn and Perry, both 11; and Clonidine (a sleep aid to counteract the other medications) for all four, taken nightly.

Quintn began taking Adderall for A.D.H.D. about five years ago, when his disruptive school behavior led to calls home and in-school suspensions. He immediately settled down and became a more earnest, attentive student — a little bit more like Perry, who also took Adderall for his A.D.H.D.

When puberty’s chemical maelstrom began at about 10, though, Quintn got into fights at school because, he said, other children were insulting his mother. The problem was, they were not; Quintn was seeing people and hearing voices that were not there, a rare but recognized side effect of Adderall. After Quintn admitted to being suicidal, Dr. Anderson prescribed a week in a local psychiatric hospital, and a switch to Risperdal.

While telling this story, the Rocaforts called Quintn into the kitchen and asked him to describe why he had been given Adderall.

“To help me focus on my school work, my homework, listening to Mom and Dad, and not doing what I used to do to my teachers, to make them mad,” he said. He described the week in the hospital and the effects of Risperdal: “If I don’t take my medicine I’d be having attitudes. I’d be disrespecting my parents. I wouldn’t be like this.”

Despite Quintn’s experience with Adderall, the Rocaforts decided to use it with their 12-year-old daughter, Alexis, and 9-year-old son, Ethan. These children don’t have A.D.H.D., their parents said. The Adderall is merely to help their grades, and because Alexis was, in her father’s words, “a little blah.”
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Rarick

« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2012, 10:43:51 am »

Altering the chemistry of growing brains that get used to not having to control their own moods.........I see a DARK cloud looming.

<distant ghostly voice> So-Ma, soma, so ma, soma!<fade to black>
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

gaurdduck

« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2012, 10:26:42 pm »

A few recent items:

Judge jails honors student for 11 days of absence (most schools consider lateness to be 1/4 day absent)
http://rt.com/usa/news/texas-judge-jail-tran-532/

microchip id bullshit
http://rt.com/usa/news/texas-school-id-hernandez-033/

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2012, 10:36:05 pm »

19 Crazy Things That School Children Are Being Arrested For In America : http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/19-crazy-things-that-school-children-are-being-arrested-for-in-america

I am thankful for the opportunity to HS.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2012, 06:50:41 pm »

Declo Teacher Allows Students to Draw on Faces as Reading 'Incentive' :
http://magicvalley.com/news/local/mini-cassia/declo-teacher-allows-students-to-draw-on-faces-as-reading/article_53cc8f74-c988-5f57-90e8-bb5e2ac10292.html

Fourth-graders who failed to achieve reading goals had their faces scribbled on with permanent marker by other students last week at Declo Elementary School — under the supervision of their teacher.

Some parents and Cassia County School District leadership are now decrying the consequences for the nine students, some of whom have learning problems.

When Cindy Hurst’s 10-year-old son arrived home from school Nov. 5, his entire face, hairline to chin, was scribbled on in red marker — including his eyelids. He also had green, red and purple scribble marks over the red, and his face was scratched by a marker that had a rough edge.

The 21 students in the class have Accelerated Reading goals where they read a set number of books in a given time frame, Smyer said.

Larsen allowed the students to choose their own incentive to meet the reading goal. The class chose to have students who did not meet the goal either stay inside at recess until the goal was met, or have their faces written on by their classmates who met their goals.

Nine of the students in the class did not meet their goals. Of those, six chose to have their faces marked on and three chose to forgo recess.

“Although all the students in the class agreed to the incentive, once it occurred it was not so well received. Nor should it have been,” Smyer said.

Robinson said the children had their faces marked on in the morning. They had to leave it on all day, but were told to wash it off before they went home.

“It was a humiliation because they had to wear it all day and other kids were asking them about it and laughing at them,” he said.

aaagggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2012, 07:13:04 am »

First, that was no "teacher," but a sadistic person who should never be trusted near children or anyone else incapable of self defense.

And yes, if this didn't convince people to remove their children from government "school," I wonder what would...  Torture is indeed an "incentive," but not for anything good.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2012, 09:44:28 am »

First, that was no "teacher," but a sadistic person who should never be trusted near children or anyone else incapable of self defense.

And yes, if this didn't convince people to remove their children from government "school," I wonder what would...  Torture is indeed an "incentive," but not for anything good.

EggsAxtly!!!  The reasons to get/keep your kids, our kids, everybody's kids out of there stack up over and over, to the moon. But the deaf, dumb and blind automatons cannot envision an alternative... no matter how many times it is shown to them.   AAaaaugh!!! 
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2012, 12:17:06 pm »

Teacher's Reward Program Charges Second-Graders for Bathroom Breaks : http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Teacher-Charges-Second-Graders-for-Bathroom-Breaks-181634781.html

The mother of a 7-year-old Irving elementary school student says her son wet his pants in class after his teacher refused to let him use the restroom Thursday afternoon.

"I was absolutely appalled," Sonja Cross said. "I could not believe it."

The first-year teacher at J.O. Davis Elementary awards her students with "Boyd Bucks" for good behavior. Going to the bathroom outside of the three scheduled breaks costs two Boyd Bucks per trip.

Cross' son, an honor roll student, needed to go to the bathroom, but he sat back down because he didn’t have any Boyd Bucks, his mother said.

Cross complained to the teacher, but didn’t like the response.

"Originally when I first spoke with the teacher, she was just going to show my son special treatment, but then I said, 'That's just not good enough. I need for you to stop this for all the children,'" she said.

Cross informed school administrators, who quickly told the teacher to stop charging her students to go to the bathroom.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2012, 11:03:57 am »

If these people are the ones teaching Math and Economics (Okay - that is a stretch. Just think about how much money could be saved by Homeschooling!):

School District Owes $1 Billion On $100 Million Loan : http://www.npr.org/2012/12/07/166745290/school-district-owes-1-billion-on-100-million-loan
Perhaps the best example of the CAB issue is suburban San Diego's Poway Unified School District, which borrowed a little more than $100 million. But "debt service will be almost $1 billion," Lockyer says. "So, over nine times amount of the borrowing. There are worse ones, but that's pretty bad."

PJ

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2012, 12:32:44 pm »

The best reason for you to homeschool...the school shooting at Newtown, Connecticut.  'nuff said.

gaurdduck

« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2012, 12:40:00 am »

The best reason for you to homeschool...the school shooting at Newtown, Connecticut.  'nuff said.

Yup

Speaker

• The United States House of Repeals
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2012, 02:29:24 am »

If these people are the ones teaching Math and Economics (Okay - that is a stretch. Just think about how much money could be saved by Homeschooling!):

School District Owes $1 Billion On $100 Million Loan : http://www.npr.org/2012/12/07/166745290/school-district-owes-1-billion-on-100-million-loan
Perhaps the best example of the CAB issue is suburban San Diego's Poway Unified School District, which borrowed a little more than $100 million. But "debt service will be almost $1 billion," Lockyer says. "So, over nine times amount of the borrowing. There are worse ones, but that's pretty bad."

I could not read the article as it is a government site with a non-standard certificate.

However, was that "Bill Lockyer"? You know, the attorney general who boasted on a radio talk show that homosexual rape is an official part of prison torture in California; thereby confessing in public to thousands of counts of homosexual rape?

I just, sorta, wondered. That's all.

Speaker
"As much as 'sunshine soldiers' or 'summer patriots', beware an ally 'more common than you know' whose fear of the uncertainties of success moves him to surrender at the very moment of victory."

"Go straight to the heart of the enemy's greatest strength. Break that and you break him. You can always mop up the flanks and stragglers later, and they may even surrender, saving you a lot of effort."

L. Neil Smith
http://ncc-1776.org/tle2011/tle605-20110130-03.html

5GW

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2012, 08:02:59 am »

I could not read the article as it is a government site with a non-standard certificate.

A different source - sorry about the above - didn't see any problem.

http://www.educationnews.org/education-policy-and-politics/san-diego-area-district-owes-1-billion-on-100-million-loan/

The real price of debt was made clear this year to many California school districts that took out loans to make up budget shortfalls brought on by state and federal budget cuts. Around the state, there are now several districts who find themselves in a situation of owing much more money than they borrowed – and without any real plan to deal with the problem.

Such is the case of West Contra Costa School District, which borrowed $2.5 million in 2010 to secure a $25 million loan subsidized by the federal government. The district desperately needed the funds because the growth of its student population left it woefully short of elementary school places. In the end, school board president Charles Ramsey said that it felt like paying $2.5 million to get $25 million was a pretty good bargain – at the time.

Yet now, because of the vehicle the district used to finance that loan, issuing CABs – capital appreciation bonds rather than typical bonds — and pushing the repayment forward indefinitely to square the $2.5 million they borrowed, they will need to repay close to $34 million.

Rarick

« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2012, 08:06:43 am »

Exactly why neighborhoods have to take charge of their schools rather than distant bureaucrats and out of touch Ivory Tower academics.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up