The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first FIRE!  (Read 3899 times)

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
My first FIRE!
« on: September 26, 2009, 01:54:42 am »

So you all know that I work in an oil refinery and one of the side benefits to working there is that they have a volunteer Fire Dept.
(We call it the Emergency Response Team, ERT for short.)

This morning at about 5 AM PST something happened in the Crude Unit and we had a BIG FIRE!

I was in the middle of it.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/61458477.html
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/shopping_blog/2009/09/tesoro-fire.html
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Fire-Tesoro-refinery-Wilmington-Los-Angeles/64J7zO5eaEaYeiN8PfkOSg.cspx?rss=800

At one point we had over 200 outside firefighters, and we were very happy for their help.

No one was hurt.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

chutzpah

Re: My first FIRE!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 08:57:33 am »

Way to Go socalserf !
I'm all for gaining "hand's on" experience, but this is one area, I'll leave to the brave one's like you.
Out of control fire storms scare me so. I have fire hoses and fire extinguishers everywhere there is an outbuilding on our farm.
Thank goodness you and no one else was hurt!

Any tips you want to share that you learned on fire fighting would be appreciated.
Obi-Wan: Who's the more foolish: The fool, or the fool who follows him?

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.

Who...me?

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:44:13 am »

Glad you and everyone else is ok.  I was on the crew at the Glaxosmithkine plant here and found out first hand that nothing gets the blood pumping quite like a large fire!!  Be safe.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Clip Johnson

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:56:24 am »

Good to hear that you, and everyone else working there made it out unscathed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there quite a few refineries in the same general area. Seems I remember this from when I lived in Long Beach (just east of the Terminal Island Freeway), not very far at all from theTesoro refinery, during the late 1980's. I vividly remember a lot of oil wells through out the entire area that were constantly pumping away. And how the ground would roll like ocean waves during an earthquake. Pretty freaky to say the least.

Keep yourself safe out there socalserf!

socalserf

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 04:22:08 pm »

Any tips you want to share that you learned on fire fighting would be appreciated.

I read a book called "On Combat", by Micheal Grossman and I thought that his information on how to control stress was invaluable.
http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Psychology-Physiology-Deadly-Conflict/dp/0964920514
He calls it Combat Lamaze.
It is controlled deep breathing, and very effective in reducing the stress of intense situations.
I think that any one could benefit from knowing how to do this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there quite a few refineries in the same general area. Seems I remember this from when I lived in Long Beach (just east of the Terminal Island Freeway), not very far at all from theTesoro refinery, during the late 1980's. I vividly remember a lot of oil wells through out the entire area that were constantly pumping away. And how the ground would roll like ocean waves during an earthquake. Pretty freaky to say the least.

Keep yourself safe out there socalserf!

Yes, your memory is correct. The area is filled with heavy industry.

Thanks to everyone for you well wishes!
~Author unknown to me

socalserf

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 02:26:21 am »

~Author unknown to me

Pages: [1]   Go Up