The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In The Hall Of Kings, Hungover  (Read 2678 times)

Undefined

In The Hall Of Kings, Hungover
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:24:30 pm »

In The Hall Of Kings, Hungover

Do you even remember losing the eye?

Oh, pathetic. You really are, and you know it. Lost his eye, he says. Traded it away.

What have you learned from such a trade, you silly pup?

You're something of the office legend for the toys, little never-before-seen miracles of electronic engineering. The newest, most cleverly crafted.

"Did you find a place to park? This rain is ludicrous."

"I've got the new Mitsumi transport build. I just fold her up and slip her in my pocket."

People laugh, but your smile is a little strange.

You were always so ambitious. That stern image of the responsible eldest, so well played. But, in the end, you didn't mind stooping to melodrama, battered godsbody stretched naked on the tree of the world, crucified and bound on the spears of the Norns, for nine and nine.

Showoff.

Death is near and you have lost all fear of it. You call to it, ready. Fretful visions of a showdown with a grinning skull face, a fine white sculpture of billions of grains of secret laden white dust. Foolish little heroic fantasies. Even close to that ultimate edge gods and men bow to them.

For nine days you've hung here, and the universe has changed. The cardinal directions are variations in pain, each subtly shaded with meaning, intensity and flavor. A sense of direction burnt through pain, discipline at the core. Only the occasional trickles of water register as pleasure in such deep meditation.

And after the ninth night you find yourself rudely awakened. Cut from the great tree and dragged through the forest. Given a poor man's bed of leaves and sticks by a fire hidden in that little valley.

They say if you hide in the world of men, you'll find giants.

Cardinal points war with nerve flash as new directions are discovered.

The first thing you think when you wake is: Oh, now I understand.

And you do, and it's dreadful you discover. Another burden to be shouldered, such final knowledge, one eyed and myopic.

You see the unavoidable steps that lead up to the final fires and darkness. See that they are a logical and inarguable fact. You are convinced, left with nothing but to plod on towards Ragnarok, almost eager.

Now you're remembering!

Travellers are still your kind and the horizon still as elusive. The roads are as cold and inviting as ever, and faster oh faster.

One eye wary you step into these whirlwind lives of men, to crisscross great masses of land and souls. To while away these last few long years till death and glory and the good high ring of steel.

You and I are on the same damn road, brother. Half brother, like it or not. Kin of giants both. We gods are messy.

The same damn road, drifting away these last long years. Left dreading, waiting, finally accepting and exhilarated. You are left waiting for the end of the whole dirty story.

Oh blow, horn, blow.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:27:17 pm by Door Into Summer »

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
Re: In The Hall Of Kings, Hungover
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:09:46 pm »

Agh!  I hate it when you do this!

The imagery is beautiful and terrible, and I feel like a complete idiot for having no dreaming clue what you're talking about!

(Yes, even ol' redneck Joel can spot Odin when he plucks out his eye and drops it in my lap.  But the rest!  Office toys?  I'm gonna spend the rest of the day thinking there's this great life lesson that's been handed to me, and I was too thick to get it.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

Undefined

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 04:37:54 pm »

It's Loki, talking to Odin after they have both been wakened since Ragnarok is near. I was imagining Odin as a high-class executive in some multinational. The 'toys' bit is an admittedly obtuse reference to Odin's relationship to the Dwarves and their craftsmanship. In particular, they created a longship for the Allfather that could be folded away and carried in a pocket. I thought the resemblence to modern compact and modular tech was kinda funny.

But I'm weird. :P

Silver

• thrivalist
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:31:18 am »

Weird means differing from the norm, and your wordsmithing ability is about 9 sigma.  Weird, sure, but man o man can you concentrate a lot of power into a very few keystrokes. 

Peace,

Silver

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 07:32:38 am »

Weird means differing from the norm, and your wordsmithing ability is about 9 sigma.  Weird, sure, but man o man can you concentrate a lot of power into a very few keystrokes. 

Peace,

Silver

Yeah,  what you said.  That there is definitely some high-octane stuff...

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin
Pages: [1]   Go Up