The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 3276 times)

MsSage

Windows Vista
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:54:49 pm »

I need help ...I HATE Vista I have a couple programs I have tried to load but says I cant due to Admin powers not being turned on GRRRRRRRRRR
I am the only one who uses this computer and want to have the blocks turned off. How do I make admin powers standard?
If I had an xp disk I would drop back to that and forget vista.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

gaurdduck

Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:26:18 pm »

You and me both. This PC was a gift though, so I don't. I can only hope that one of these updates is a shogi game.

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:46:50 am »

I need help ...I HATE Vista I have a couple programs I have tried to load but says I cant due to Admin powers not being turned on GRRRRRRRRRR
I am the only one who uses this computer and want to have the blocks turned off. How do I make admin powers standard?

I don't have Vista, but I bet your first step (problem?) is that you need to log into the box as the Administrator, which means knowing what the Administrator login and password are.  Once you do that, you should be able to set permissions for other users, such as the one you normally log in with.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

MsSage

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 12:38:02 pm »

How would I find out the password for admin?
I bought this computer new and no one else , other than shoer and he is NOT computer savy, uses this or has acess to it.
How hard is it to step down to xp? Is there not an option to do just that? I know on xp there was.

How about is there a better os than windows? I need it to be able to run photoshop and proshow gold and ms office but I can get from my dad a word processing that is not ms.
This is the only time I miss my ex................uuugggggg
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:59:42 pm »

How would I find out the password for admin?
I bought this computer new and no one else , other than shoer and he is NOT computer savy, uses this or has acess to it.
How hard is it to step down to xp? Is there not an option to do just that? I know on xp there was.

How about is there a better os than windows? I need it to be able to run photoshop and proshow gold and ms office but I can get from my dad a word processing that is not ms.
This is the only time I miss my ex................uuugggggg

Let's get more specific.

What, exactly, are you trying to install?  What is the name of the program, and what version?

What, exactly, word for word, is the error message and where in the install process does it happen?

Most likely, someone has encountered this problem and posted instructions on how to fix it.

Did Vista come preinstalled on your computer?  If so, the documentation that came with it should have the Administrator settings somewhere.

It is not hard to step down to XP, but it will probably wipe what you have on that system.  You will have to reinstall  everything. 

There are other OS's.  Whether or not they are better is a personal preference.  You would have to relearn much of what you know, and you probably will have to find new software to do what you want to do.

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:01:16 pm »

Something I just found too...

If the program you are installing has a "setup.exe" program, right click on it.  You may see a menu pop-up with the option, "Run as Administrator".  If so, that might get past it.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:58:03 pm »

Something I just found too...

If the program you are installing has a "setup.exe" program, right click on it.  You may see a menu pop-up with the option, "Run as Administrator".  If so, that might get past it.

This should do the trick.  Even with administrator rights, you'll be given a security prompt or two while Vista asks if you're sure (really sure?, no, seriously, are you really really really sure you wanna run this program?), but after that, it should be off and running.

If you're not sure how to get to the setup.exe program scarmig mentioned, when you put in the disc to do the install, you should have an option in the autorun menu to "Open folder to view files" or something like that.  If you don't get that, go to Start>Computer, right click on your CD/DVD drive and click on Open (not to be confused with "Open Autoplay", and probably won't be the bold/default option).  This should show you all the files on the disc.  Look for "setup.exe" (might be "setup.msi", or might not show an extension at all, depending on your settings and which installer they went with) and then, as scarmig points out, right click and go to "Run as Administrator".
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

lee n. field

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 12:06:05 pm »

Assuming it's your computer, boot safe mode (f8 on startup), log in as administrator (>90% likelyhood there's no password set).  Go into the control panel, into user accounts and reset the account type of your account.
"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD! Why would you have the day of the LORD? It is darkness, and not light,"  Amos 5:18
Pages: [1]   Go Up