The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $100 (lime green) laptop unveiled  (Read 2145 times)

gaurdduck

$100 (lime green) laptop unveiled
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:02:42 am »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, and seeing as how I don't see any other TED related stuff I'll assume for the moment that I'm the only TMMer that also is a TED member.

http://blog.ted.com/2005/11/100_lime_green.php

MIT Media Lab Director Nicholas Negroponte unveiled the first working prototype of his famed $100 laptop yesterday at the UN Net Summit in Tunisia. UN Secretary General Kofi Annan called it an "expression of global solidarity," and the Linux-based, lime-green machine by all accounts stole the show. (Though it's not without detractors.) Other than the color — which was a surprise — it seems to match closely with the bold concept Negroponte's been pitching since the World Economic Forum in Davos last January: a simple, durable, cheap laptop, which can be placed in the hands of every child in the developing world. Electricity is supplied through a hand crank, and scarce Internet access can be shared through 'mesh networking'. Negroponte has created a new non-profit, One Laptop per Child, to manage the program, which plans to have millions of the laptops in production next year. [Full reports from the BBC and Wired News.]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4445060.stm

So Have at it.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: $100 (lime green) laptop unveiled
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:58:36 am »

That's 3.5 years old. They ended up selling two machines for $400, shipping the buyer one, and giving the other one away in a poor country. My daughter has one, compliments of the company I work for. It works, but it's slow and funky.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

gaurdduck

Re: $100 (lime green) laptop unveiled
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 01:32:09 pm »

It was posted on TED as if it happened yesterday. Bummer, I thought I'd found something usefull.
If it is really that old, I don't mind if the thread is terminated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up