The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snail Mail Remailing  (Read 6055 times)

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
Snail Mail Remailing
« on: September 06, 2004, 10:34:43 pm »

Can anybody point me to an article or something that can act as a tutorial on sources/services for anonymously remailing snail mail?  There's an obvious catch-22 here, since obviously nobody could advertise such a service.  But I don't have many friends I'd be comfortable asking to do this for me.  There may be a need to disappear in my future - possibly near future - and I need to do some self-education.

Wups!  Sorry - this is in the wrong forum but I can't figure out how to delete or move it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 10:37:22 pm by John DeWitt »
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

byron

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 10:49:20 pm »

"Hide Your Assets and Disappear" by Edmund J. Pankau        ................    I really enjoyed this book several years ago. He is a PI and has worked for various federal agencies tracking down people, and made friends with many of them when he found them and discovered he couldn't touch them where they were. Pankau is fond of saying " 2 can keep a secret if one of them is dead". Whether you want to stay in the country or go abroad, this is a sharp guy.

www.escapeartist.com is a neat site that can give you information on anomyous mail drops and mail forwarding services. But as far as I know, when you drop out you don't ever look back, because you will be tracked down.

unstructuredreality

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 11:03:21 pm »

shadowcrew.com, How to Be Invisible......  I'll tell more later on if interested on a variety of subjects, PT, for example.

Are you able to be more specific in your situation and your goals, that would be a help for sending you in the proper directions?  I'd be glad to go more in depth but would need a few more details.  I've helped people in the past get through some sticky situations.  Perhaps you could head over to my group to discuss more or send an email.  All free of charge.  If not post some details and people here would be more than helpful I'm sure.  Take it slow and easy while you do it and think and plan every move.  The goal is to set up a legitimate situation, with nothing traced back. Think about what level of exposure you are willing to accept and how much money you have to achieve your goals.  Some folks have been known to disappear with no money only to resurface living a quiet dream life.  Also, it is important to constantly be keeping up on new developments, news reports, and legislation pertaining to LE and those who would want to find you.  Rule number one- I say that for every rule :) - is to make it more expensive than it is worth to find you.  Companies and nominees can be your friends.   Remailers come and go and most are, like you said, scams.  Sometimes I wish a service could be set up among us freedom lovers as part of an extensive gulch.  Cells of three or something like that.  Anyway, if you are interested I can do my best.  Peace.

PS
don't take your car, no matter what!

Peace and Good Day
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:14:53 pm by unstructuredreality »

unstructuredreality

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 11:36:58 pm »

Another thing, try to post this in general discussion.  If you have to start the thread over, it shouldn't be a big deal.  Copy and paste it into a new thread.  You'll get 10 times the hits you would here.  I also would like to discuss this in my group, but I understand if you don't want to sign up for yahoo.  This is an important aspect of privacy and some of the folks in my group are qualified to answer legal questions as much as one can online.  Liberty_mmmmm is my trusty lawyer.  He can be silly at times but that just comes from over compensation as he grew up in the Soviet Union.  He's been my rock over there while I've been writing and tending to personal matters.  I do have some papers relating to disappearing, not id theft though.  But there are ways other than that.  I wouldn't propose anything totally illegal and perhaps you may find a question or two to pose.  

Secondly, as for questions, do you need this for a lifetime or just a few months or years to let things settle down for you?

Anyway that's all for now.  Good luck and may you find a path that leads you to light.

Peace and Good Day

PS.  If you'd like as well, I can pm or email you my screenname on SC, so you have someone to look out for you there.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:37:52 pm by unstructuredreality »

unstructuredreality

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 03:07:39 pm »

Gotcha, I hope some others can help you out too.  I'll get back to you by midweek ok?  Hang in there.

unstructuredreality

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 11:51:27 pm »

Quick question, how necessarily would a remailer help you?  I can see throwing some folks off of a track, but can that track be traced back to you or loved ones or friends?  

Joel

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 12:54:00 pm »

Quick question, how necessarily would a remailer help you?  I can see throwing some folks off of a track, but can that track be traced back to you or loved ones or friends?
Well, that's precisely what I'm concerned about.  I've heard of anonymous snailmail remailers for decades, but personally I can't think of an even vaguely foolproof way to make it work.  Seems like you'd just be drawing attention to the very people you want to draw it from.

Even so, snail mail is awfully useful stuff if you can get it anonymously.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

Scarmiglione'

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 01:59:16 pm »

It might make a good service for a mole to rent out a large PO box, all nice and legal.  Then distribute the address to friends interested in a remail service.  The renter of the box simply opens the envelopes, takes the $1 bill and sends the secondary envelope on it's way.  Same with packages.  A letter in another PO box notifies that a package addressed to XYZ is on the way.  Please deliver to ABC, and here's the postage money and a little something to keep that box open.

Provide a service and make a little extra cash on the side.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Scarmiglione'

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 02:05:51 pm »

For more security, the incoming and outgoing PO boxes could be located in two different post offices.  In addition to that, the addressee could be a code name predetermined between the agreed parties and communicated via PGP.  Then the middleman could reject any of the names that don't match and protect himself from being abused by those he doesn't know or trust.

Joel

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 06:19:50 pm »

For more security, the incoming and outgoing PO boxes could be located in two different post offices.
I like the way you're thinking, but I would never use post offices.  People behind the counter at those storefront mailbox places are far less snoopy.

unstructuredreality

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 06:33:45 pm »

Mom and Pop CMRA's are a bit better although a form needs to be filled out.  That said, some don't bother.  Another option is to set up 2 business mailboxes, as the requirements are a bit more lax, in my experience.  Stay away from UPS store, MBE, etc.  Find a small one.  they've lost so much business since 1999 many are willing to look past certain rules.  I have some more info, perhaps I'll post later.  I and many others have actually used them for the addresses on DL's etc.  But it would be wise to investigate whether or not they are on the Credit reporting and LE lists, which the big boys are. Also, business service centers work quite well, the only drawback is that you'd have to spend 150 bucks a month to maintain the address without filing the form.  If you have that kind of money it could save you.  Many of them offer remailing free of charge.  You could say you are a single business man that needs use of equipment and seceratarial services for a given time and then BAM, you have an address and a remailer.  The best places to look, in order to fool the folks looking, is to find one that is on a part residential and part commercial street.  You now have a real residential address to most people.  Of course these are only tools and are only pieces to the puzzle.  Long and constant thinking must be done in order to keep your ducks in a row, but shouldn't alter your happiness once you get used to it.  It will eventually become second nature.

Hope that shines a light down a darklit hall somewhere for you.

unstructuredreality

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 07:08:38 pm »

Important resources you may want to look into:

Skip Tracing 101-
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:ZyFBG...+mistakes&hl=en

Private Investigator Blog
http://www.mcdavidmeek.com/weblog/private-...gator-blog.html

And a quite well done article from Escape Artist:

Most Saturday afternoons I head to the local bookstore. I love to watch people reading books about offshore banking, hiding assets and how to disappear.  It’s usually your typical middle-aged guy dreaming about a new life.  I watch as they get caught up in their imaginary world.  Their eyes light up at the thought of leaving all their troubles behind.  Reading all those great stories about beach-front living, escaping into oblivion, hiding your assets, and not paying taxes. However, not one of those books shares the flip-side.  They don’t tell you about the skip-tracer who sits in his office and is paid to find people who did what you are dreaming of.

A little tid-bit on skip-tracers, we do it because there is an adrenaline rush in what we do. What’s even better is I get to bill my client and make some money.  As we say in my office, ‘its all about the Benjamins’. If your name comes across my desk and the money is right you are my hunt. I will spend my day finding your mistakes, be it through the utility company, the cable TV Company, or that collect call from Cabo San Lucas to your sister Edith.   I have found many people from Boston to Bali. Usually I find them because of the little mistakes they make before they departed or while basking in the sun. Let me share a few thoughts with you about escaping. Here are the usual mistakes: The woman from Beverly Hills who called her doctor asking for her medical records to be shipped to Anquilla.  A gentleman from New Jersey who stole money from his company and hid in the Dominican Republic and then had Barnes & Noble change his shipping address to his beach-front condo.  The list goes on and on.  When you pick up and leave to escape your creditors or for other reasons, there are companies out there like Ahearn Group (www.ahearn.bz) and many other excellent ones that love the challenge of finding you. To skip-tracers it’s a game we get paid to play. We can make as many mistakes as we want; the one you make is the one that most likely leads us to you.  Sit back, take some notes and understand the game from my point of view.

Frank Ahearn is considered the leader in phone listings and international skip tracing. www.ahearn.bz If you want to dissapear or to find someone who has disappeared, Frank is the man to talk to.  Visit his website for contact info
   Most people read a book then pick up and go.  They simply disconnect their services with no forwarding address and leave.  Big mistake; take your time and follow the below steps for making your escape last. Okay first step, do not use your home, work or cell-phone, and do not use your calling card. Do not use any of your credit cards to purchase anything in the place you are going to escape to.  You should develop your plan at least six months before you hit the road.  In the meantime have all of your services, cable, electric, phone bills forwarded to any GPO in the country.  Call those companies every month and find your balances and pay them.  Make sure all the bills go to different states.  Have a little fun: one month have them send it to Oshkosh the next to Bogota, New Jersey.  Let them know they have the wrong Social Security number on file and have them change it. Next month give them your cousin Henry’s phone number in Toronto in case they need to reach you.  The key here is to load your account with so much information you are creating misinformation.

Go online and get yourself a Jfax (www.jfax.com) account. For $9.99 per month you can get a phone number in any state or almost any country from Jfax. When someone calls your Jfax number, which will have your personalized recording on it, the message will be forwarded to your email address and you will be able to retrieve that message from anywhere in the world.  Make sure the email address you give is a Yahoo or Hotmail address. Pay for your Jfax account for at least one year. This way there will be no transactions on your credit card in the coming months.  Some skip-tracer trying to identify your number will only be able to get an email address from Jfax.  What’s also great about Jfax is you can fax directly from the Internet if you need to.  Do not do any of your searching from your home or work computer.  Go to an Internet café and do all of your research there.
Go by yourself to a pre-paid cell-phone and never give anybody the number. Make sure you can dial an international number with your cell-phone.  If not, buy a pre-paid calling card then throw it away when it expires, do not reload it. With the pre-paid cell-phone get a phone number that has an area code in another state. When you order your pre-pay cell-phone pay cash and give them a different name.  Never call anybody with that phone, the number might show up on his or her caller ID. Start calling where you’re looking to escape to from your pre-paid cell number or calling card.  Dump that phone every month, yes, the actual phone, and get yourself a new one. Get a new cell-phone with a different number and a different area code from the original phone. By doing this no one will be able to track where you have called.  Remember if you make one call from your home, work or cousin's house that is all I need to locate you.  Get yourself a locker and leave all your tools in the locker, never bring them home or to work.  If you accidentally toss them in the trash, then someone who is searching your trash will find them. When you are ready to escape you can empty your locker and destroy all information that could leave a trail straight to you.

Go online and get a mailbox from Mailbox Etc. (www.mailboxetc.com).  Open up a corporation online in that state. Have all mail go to the above address.  Make that address your service of process and your registered agent.

When you have all your corporate information.  Take a trip to that state.  When you go to the bank, you will sit down and open an account.  The person opening the account will call Telecheck which is a service bank used to search whether or not you have any overdrafts left over from other banks.  They will run your name and there will be a record of you in any state that you've open an account in. So any skip-tracer with half a brain will find that account and locate your mailbox at Mailbox Etc. Give the person you open the account with your Mailbox Etc. address. Do not give them a valid phone number or one of your pre-paid numbers.  Like the song says 867-5309 its one number you can’t forget and it’s a great conversation piece with the banker. Tell them the number won’t be in service till next week.

Then contact Idealogic (www.idealogic.com) in Canada and have them open a Canadian corporation for you.  Give Idealogic all your information from the above chosen state.  Once you receive all your Canadian information open an account with BMO (www.bmo.com) which they should do via-mail or possibly online; if not, a visit to Montreal is always great.  Once you have all of the necessary papers have Idealogic, BMO and your bank in the chosen state forward everything to your Mailbox Etc. address.  When all is said and done have all of your mail from the Mailbox Etc. shipped to you, and when all papers are in hand from the Mailbox Etc. forward them to New York, then from New York to Chicago, then on to Atlanta, create a big loop. Do all your banking online, the bank will be happy not to mail you your bank statements.  Remember always access your accounts from an Internet café.
You can then transfer money from the US to Canada and then from Canada to your chosen offshore haven.  Belize is a good place - they do not adhere to MLAT (mutual legal assistance treaty). Never use your ATM from your US account; never use your ATM from your Canadian account.  Use your Canadian and U.S. accounts as buffers for your chosen offshore haven.

One time I was searching for an individual who for the life of me I could not find: I could neither find a forwarding address, nor any credit trace, nor transfer of motor vehicles, then it dawned on me that this person must have flown to his destination. So I checked the airlines and bingo, there it was: his frequent flyer account.  On his last trip he had miles added to his account and I knew exactly where he went. Pay for your ticket in cash at the airport.

Don’t use your frequent flier account.  Cancel your blockbuster membership.  Do not transfer any of your magazine subscriptions.  If you are receiving any type of direct deposit from the government, such as retirement money, do it through the account you opened.  Don’t get a library card in your new location, do not get cable service under your name.  Do everything through the name of your foreign corporation.  Make sure your foreign corporation has no similarities to your name or anything from your past.

Calling family and friends is a touchy issue, depending on your personal situation.  With technology today you just don’t know when you call someone from, say, Costa Rica, whether or not your number shows up on their caller ID.  If it does and they happen to call you back, someone will be able to track your location.  All your effort and hard work will be thrown out the window.  So if you need to get in touch, get yourself another pre-paid cell-phone from a different place and call those you need to speak to through your cell-phone.  Dump the phone every so often.

So the above are the basics of how to disappear.  Take your time, do your research and enjoy the beach.

Just primers.  Don't follow everything but use it to build a knowledge base.  Some of the things mentioned above might lead you to court, so use common sense- most is good information though.

I have a thousand more resources and personal knowledge but just thought these would cover some basics for you.  And remember, take it slow, with thought, and easy.

Peace and Good Day

Scarmiglione'

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 06:31:02 am »

Great info there.  Thank you very much.

unstructuredreality

Snail Mail Remailing
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2004, 12:08:29 am »

The definition of skiptracing: Attempting to locate an individual or assets belonging to those who have "skipped out" or who are evading their creditors. An exhaustive effort is made by our office to make voice contact with the debtor demanding payment in full. Although we put a great deal of research and development into our letters, statistics tell us that letters alone will not collect your debt. Inevitably, it will take much more effort than that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The first step to successful skip tracing is to search our nationwide address and reverse directory databases. These databases allow us to immediately acquire the names and telephone numbers of your debtors' neighbors ( known as nearbys ). Through these neighbors, we attempt to gather information on the debtor, such as where the debtor works and resident phone number or information on his or her spouse. After we probe for information, we ask the debtor's neighbors if they would relay a message to the debtor to call us as soon as possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. After the first step, if the individual has an uncommon name, we attempt to contact people who have the same last name ( known as multiples ). We attempt to verify if they are related to the debtor. If they are related, we probe for information from the relative or, at the very least, ask them to relay a message to call us as soon as possible.

3. After the second step, we attempt to contact the legal owner of the property. The purpose of which is, again, to probe for information on the debtor. This is usually a very effective skip tracing tool as the property owner often will give good information. At the very least, we will ask the property owner to relay a message to the debtor.

4. After the third step in the collection process, and if the balance merits ($300 or greater), a credit report will be requested. The credit report will, most often, tell us the current address of the debtor and sometimes the debtor's latest employer. The report is worked exhaustively, with all the creditors being contacted; the purpose of which is to obtain the most current information available for each debtor.

Pages: [1]   Go Up