The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Excellent Astronomy Picture of the Day  (Read 1929 times)

NuclearDruid

Excellent Astronomy Picture of the Day
« on: April 16, 2009, 12:31:56 pm »

"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

mutti

• Mutti
Re: Excellent Astronomy Picture of the Day
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:03:19 am »

Does not count as "Astronomy" per say, but still   -   Picture rich for DSL Warning

Auroras :   http://spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=Frank-Olsen-_MG_5489_1_2_1327147529.jpg
Beatiful, cold crisp night last night. Had hoped for an early arrive of the CME from two days ago. We saw some auroras, but not a great magnitude. 

Should be more after the 19th Jan CME "arrives" : http://www.spaceweather.com/
NCOMING CME: Active sunspot 1401 erupted on Jan. 19th around 16:30 UT, producing an M3-class solar flare and a full-halo coronal mass ejection (CME). The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory recorded the cloud expanding almost directly toward Earth

If your minions are interested, this animated gif of the CME is amazing : 

http://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/downloads/20120119_183400_anim.tim-den.gif

[Edited to create hyperlink for aurora photo]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:42:59 pm by MamaLiberty »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 02:48:35 pm »

Very cool! That's all I get to see of it though, we have rain and heavy overcast here for yesterday and the next day or so. Pneumonia weather... I've never seen the "lights", maybe one day though.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 02:57:44 pm »

We've had no problems here, but my friend in South Dakota said his internet and cell phones did not work much of yesterday and today... This might be a stinker.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:02:28 pm »

and again - they say the "third times a charm" - so lets just skip # 2..... (action should continue through 1/29 and parts will be visible down to almost Southern Illinois) :

(although this one is destined to be bigger and seems to have picked up MSM's attention)  http://www.spaceweather.com/

RADIATION STORM IN PROGRESS: Solar protons accelerated by this morning's M9-class solar flare are streaming past Earth. On the NOAA scale of radiation storms, this one ranks S3, which means it could, e.g., cause isolated reboots of computers onboard Earth-orbiting satellites and interfere with polar radio communications. An example of satellite effects: The "snow" in this SOHO coronagraph movie is caused by protons hitting the observatory's onboard camera.

ALMOST-X FLARE AND CME (UPDATED): This morning, Jan. 23rd around 0359 UT, big sunspot 1402 erupted, producing a long-duration M9-class solar flare. The explosion's M9-ranking puts it on the threshold of being an X-flare, the most powerful kind. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured the flare's extreme ultraviolet flash:

awesome photo : http://spaceweather.com/submissions/pics/b/BjAcrn-JAcrgensen-s_1201_4987_1327280066.jpg  - looks like an electric Eagle.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein
Pages: [1]   Go Up