The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound On My Computer---HELP PLEASE  (Read 2566 times)

Bennie

Sound On My Computer---HELP PLEASE
« on: April 09, 2009, 05:03:25 am »

I have a problem with the sound on my desk top Dell computer. A couple of months ago I had a "repairman" come over and fix my home computer (it had been running slow, shutting down,  and I was getting the blue screen....figured the wife had picked up a bug when she downloaded pictures of her miniature toys from some overseas website). I wish I had not ever called that fly by night computer repairman from craigslist. It seems to me that with Windows problems will iron themselves (through updates and patches) out over time as long as you have a half decent virus scan and firewall.

Anyways, this guy tells me that I have a lot of stuff running in the background that is not needed....and he's going to free up some space so the computer runs better. It really ran like crap after that for a week but eventually things got ironed out on it's own.

So when things did get back to half ass normal....I figure out the guy did something and now I can't get sound via my external speakers. I have tried getting them to turn back on but the computer acts like it has no recollection of ever having sound.

I am baffled. The guy must have done something when he turned off things running in the background. I am not compter savvy.

Can somebody give me really simple language instructions on how to get this going again? I know it must be simple stuff but I've tried all the simple stuff I can figure out. I really miss Coast To Coast. ............................. Thanks!

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
Re: Sound On My Computer---HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 05:07:59 am »

What version of Windows are you using?
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:18:24 am »

We'll start with the most basic things first and go from there.  Apologies if I start with with something you already know, because I've no idea what knowledge level you  are at.

I'm assuming you're running Windows XP.

First things first... go to the Start Bar and look on the far right hand side.  Look for a little picture of a speaker.  You may have to click the little arrow that points left in order to see all of the icons.

If you see the speaker, click on it.  It should open a tiny window to lets you control the volume and the mute.  Make sure mute is turned off and the volume is up.  When you change the volume, it should make a little *ding* noise that you can hear to verify the sound is working.

If you see the speaker, and mute is turned off and the volume is up, but you do not hear sound, then the problem is with your speakers.  Disconnect them completely and reconnect them, and try again.

If you do *not* see a speaker icon, then the problem is in the computer and not with the speakers.  But let us know what you find on this first.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Bennie

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:28:01 am »

Thank you for responding.

I do have Windows XP.

The picture for a speaker has disappeared and it disappeared after the repairman  messed with it. I did not notice it until after he left my house. When I take out and then put back in  the speakers plug-in wire where it connects to back of the computer, I do hear a brief slight scratchy noise from the speakers.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:41:12 am »

Use XP restore to restore the operating system and all the programs to a set point before the guy "fixed" it
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Who...me?

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 01:03:51 am »

Try to access your sound controls through control panel > sounds and audio devices. See if the volume is down or muted.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Bennie

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:21:18 am »

Zoot : Ahhhh .... I will try the system restore yes indeed.

Who...me: I have tried the access sound controls thru control panels> sound and audio devices ............. it has the info there you speak of but the button to click has a muted color to it (if that makes sense) and does nothing when I try to click it.

I am at work at present so will get on this tomorrow, upon my return home, with the system restore thing.

gracias!

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 01:24:37 am »

Just remember............if you use the system restore you're going to have all the crap on your system that led you to call Mr fixit in the first place
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

dogsledder54

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 03:20:51 am »

There is another possibility. I had the same problem. Apparently when I downloaded a program for something, I also got an 'equalizer' type program with it. I nearly went nuts trying to find why my speakers quit working. Then I discovered the "bonus" program, which included a volume control which was set to mute. I unchecked mute, and all was well again. If nothing else works, keep looking for another volume switch. Mine was in a so-called "audible manager" program. After unchecking mute, I played around with the program and decided to keep it rather than deleting it. Apparently I was careless when downloading a program and messed myself up by not noticing the other program was installed also. In this case, it was a good program, but in many cases, free programs bring bad stuff with them.

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 09:53:44 pm »

Zoot : Ahhhh .... I will try the system restore yes indeed.

Who...me: I have tried the access sound controls thru control panels> sound and audio devices ............. it has the info there you speak of but the button to click has a muted color to it (if that makes sense) and does nothing when I try to click it.

I am at work at present so will get on this tomorrow, upon my return home, with the system restore thing.

gracias!

Don't try system restore yet.  Not quite yet.  It sounds like your speakers are fine, so there is something in the system.  Most likely, the sound driver has been either removed or disabled.

Go to Start, Control Panel, and double click System.

Select the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manger.

A new window will open with a list of the hardware on your computer.  Scroll down the list until you see "Sound, video, and game controllers."

Click the + next to that.  See if there are any devices with a red circle or x on them. 

If there *is*, click your right mouse button on that sound device and select Update Driver.  You have a couple of options here. If you have the original CD that came with the computer, put that in the drive.  If not, there still a chance.  Step through the Wizard:

Install the Software Automatically
Next

If you are lucky, it will find the driver, either on the CD or out at the Microsoft sight, update it, install it, and everything will start working.

We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Bennie

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 01:00:17 am »

Thank you thank you thank you each and every one of you!

scarmig............it worked! I don't know how exactly  but I kept messing with it about 2 hours and it worked. You gave me a landmarks that were  what you were describing and that I could keep messing with. That "sound video and game controllers" had a     -     as opposed to a       +       ..... it kept wanting to change back to a       -         ......   anyways things are working at present.

Junker

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 03:24:41 am »

Hoorah! Good keeping at it, Bennie.
Good work, Scarmig!
Pages: [1]   Go Up