The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Go Box  (Read 3768 times)

jimp220

Go Box
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:09:36 pm »

Was out the the shed looking for my box 'o bullets to catch up on some reloading and came across an empty 81mm rocket box.  Sprayed it off with the hose and let it dry and started thinking that it looks like the same height of a #10 can, I tried it and it was.  So since I dislike storing survival items in cardboad, not sturdy enough or water proof, started loading it up and lo and behold the Mountain House freeze dried cans fit also.  So far so good.

Also looked to be the right size (~14" wide, 25" long and 7" high) to make a 'go' box.  That would be a box with a variety of items that one could just grab and go in a hurry, or give it to a needy, unprepared relative or some other poor unfortunate that was in need of charity and then tell them to 'go'.  Grab as in not having to search around looking for different things such as matches, which food to take/give, and items like toilet paper, light source, fuel, etc.

So this is what I came up with, one sturdy metal box with the following items: Five liters of water, P38 can opener, 12 hour Lightsticks (4), Plastic forks (4), Bic Lighter, 2 books of matches, one roll of TP, Trioxane (4 boxes, 3 bars each) 66oz can of Tuna, #10 can of freeze Dried Chicken/Rice, #10 can Freeze Dried green beans, two #10 cans (that’s over 12 pounds!) of Costco Cattle Drive Chili w/beans (yum), box of 64 feminine light day pads (also works as bandage) small bar of hotel soap, mylar blanket, candle and a small knife.  Should keep a couple of people set with the basics for a week or so if they are able to forage additional water. 

I'm sure I can tweak the contents with this and that but overall I'm happy with it!   

Hollywoodgold

• You can trust them to be them...
Re: Go Box
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:56:33 pm »

Was out the the shed looking for my box 'o bullets to catch up on some reloading and came across an empty 81mm rocket box.  Sprayed it off with the hose and let it dry and started thinking that it looks like the same height of a #10 can, I tried it and it was.  So since I dislike storing survival items in cardboad, not sturdy enough or water proof, started loading it up and lo and behold the Mountain House freeze dried cans fit also.  So far so good.

Also looked to be the right size (~14" wide, 25" long and 7" high) to make a 'go' box.  That would be a box with a variety of items that one could just grab and go in a hurry, or give it to a needy, unprepared relative or some other poor unfortunate that was in need of charity and then tell them to 'go'.  Grab as in not having to search around looking for different things such as matches, which food to take/give, and items like toilet paper, light source, fuel, etc.

So this is what I came up with, one sturdy metal box with the following items: Five liters of water, P38 can opener, 12 hour Lightsticks (4), Plastic forks (4), Bic Lighter, 2 books of matches, one roll of TP, Trioxane (4 boxes, 3 bars each) 66oz can of Tuna, #10 can of freeze Dried Chicken/Rice, #10 can Freeze Dried green beans, two #10 cans (that’s over 12 pounds!) of Costco Cattle Drive Chili w/beans (yum), box of 64 feminine light day pads (also works as bandage) small bar of hotel soap, mylar blanket, candle and a small knife.  Should keep a couple of people set with the basics for a week or so if they are able to forage additional water. 

I'm sure I can tweak the contents with this and that but overall I'm happy with it!   

Jimp:

Tried to find the boxes but none could be found. Have a link?

Thanks

DS

"Democracy must be something more than
two wolves and a sheep voting on what to
have for dinner."

jimp220

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:45:42 am »

Hollywoodgold

• You can trust them to be them...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:45 am »

Yep, right here.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWN223-1.html

Thanks Jimp. One of the suppliers I use but didn't come up on a search.

"Democracy must be something more than
two wolves and a sheep voting on what to
have for dinner."
Pages: [1]   Go Up