The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metal Lathe  (Read 4947 times)

Thunder

• Go away, boy! Ya bother me! -Foghorn Leghorn
Metal Lathe
« on: March 04, 2009, 07:33:00 am »

Yay!  I just closed a pretty good deal on a metal lathe!  Just got it home last night as the weather finally cleared up enough to tow it home.  It's going to take a while to clean it up and go through all of the tooling and instruments that came with it, but once I do, I'll snap some pics and post 'em.  It's an Atlas 12x36" lathe.  It's no South Bend, but it'll do what I need it to do, for the most part.

This lathe will help me along on my gunsmithing path, as well as just plain being able to make a myriad of other things.  As Zoot stated in another thread, this will help after TSHTF for being able to make much needed barter goods as well as making new parts for things that break.
Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

There are no illegal guns, only illegal gun laws.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: Metal Lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:48:11 am »

Cool. My mother gave me a nice cash gift a few years back for my fiftieth birthday. I looked at a smallish mill, but eventually bought a new rifle (Saiga in 7.62x39). Metal shop was my favorite in Jr. High School.

Good luck with your new tool.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Thunder

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:09:55 am »

Thanks.  Was hoping a machinist's level came with the metric buttload of tooling that came with it, but unfortunately didn't.  Ordered one from a local industrial supply house and should have it tomorrow.  Once it's leveled, I'll break out the kerosene and start cleaning it up.  It really doesn't have that much cleaning that it needs, but after sitting around for so long, I'd like to get all the gummy stuff off and start fresh.

The tools need more cleaning than the lathe itself.  Many have surface rust that needs removing.  I'm hoping that the rust didn't destroy some of the more delicate items, but I'll find out as I explore. 

Any idea if rust on a Morse taper would ruin it?

Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:31:48 am »

Any idea if rust on a Morse taper would ruin it?

I'd say that it all depends on how much rust there is.  A couple of small dots (about the size of a "."), probably not.  But if you have much more than that, you'll want to either get it taper reground to clean it up, or buy another Morse taper.
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken

Thunder

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 02:44:25 pm »

I'd say that it all depends on how much rust there is.  A couple of small dots (about the size of a "."), probably not.  But if you have much more than that, you'll want to either get it taper reground to clean it up, or buy another Morse taper.

I was afraid of that.  Have several that have rust spots on them that will probably need to be reground.  I'll try to clean them up to see if I get lucky, but I've the feeling I won't.
Thunder[/color][/font]

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 04:45:06 am »

I was afraid of that.  Have several that have rust spots on them that will probably need to be reground.  I'll try to clean them up to see if I get lucky, but I've the feeling I won't.

I wish you the best, Thunder.

Just to be sure, show your Morse taper to a machinist friend and get his opinion on it.  If he says it's usable, then go for it.  If he says it has to be reground/replaced, though...

sorry, I'm still a bit morose over my ailing pickup truck :BangHead:
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:10 am »

ACK!..........lightly scrape the rust  "build up" off with a ground high speed steel tool blank or a knife, polish the taper in the rusted areas till they don't "feel' high anymore with some steel wool, clean the matching tapers with solvent and slam it home and try it out........
If it spins.......slam it home harder and try it out again........

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 01:36:01 pm »

Some of my classmates from the Mech 44 class are coming over to my place
next week to turn and mill their axels for the class project. It turns out that
the school bought a Grizzly mill and (?) lathe from Harbor Freight, and are
having a lot of problems with them.

My Sherline mill and lathe worked out of the box, as documented. They
are on the small side, but they are big enough for this project. By having
the guys come over here to do it, we're shortening the line in the class shop,
and the guys are getting their stuff done sooner. It's a win-win for all involved.

Having your own tools rocks.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 12:01:21 am »

Some of my classmates from the Mech 44 class are coming over to my place
next week to turn and mill their axels for the class project. It turns out that
the school bought a Grizzly mill and (?) lathe from Harbor Freight, and are
having a lot of problems with them.

Grizzly and Harbor Freight stuff along with several other vendors all come out of the same set of factories in China,  but they each have different quality control agreements with them.  HF's support is basically if it breaks they give you another one,  while I've heard good things about Grizzly.  Plus the same machine from Grizzly may cost $100 more but it comes with a bunch more in the way of tooling and accessories.  Paint jobs are different,  too,  but that's most of it.

My Sherline mill and lathe worked out of the box, as documented. They
are on the small side, but they are big enough for this project. By having
the guys come over here to do it, we're shortening the line in the class shop,
and the guys are getting their stuff done sooner. It's a win-win for all involved.

Having your own tools rocks.

Bear

I've heard good things about Sherline and Taig in both manual and CNC versions,  and also the asian import stuff,  if you look at it when you get it as an assembly of kit parts that needs significant finishing before you can have a useful tool -- it's a way to invest some of your time to save some money.

I haven't done any machine shop stuff for over four decades and am looking forward to getting situated somewhere that I can start to get into this stuff.

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin
Pages: [1]   Go Up