The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dorothy's Winter Scene  (Read 5233 times)

hangman

• Senator, +Lampost, +Rope. Some assembly required
Dorothy's Winter Scene
« on: December 05, 2008, 12:22:30 pm »

I hope this works and passes muster. My 77 year old mother-in-law with dementia painted this at her adult day care , The Caring Place. I was impressed that she could concentrate long enough. As far as I know it's the first time she's had a brush in her hands. Water colors. Wow!

Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils.

"Resist much, obey little." ~ Walt Whitman

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws. EDWARD ABBEY

Canadian Mamma

Re: Dorothy's Winter Scene
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 12:27:50 pm »

Sorry Hangman,

No can see.
Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.........John Wayne

The trouble with some women is they get all excited about nothing and then marry him.

hangman

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 12:35:32 pm »

Me neither and I don't know what I did wrong. I posted it on another forum with no problem.

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws. EDWARD ABBEY

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:45:49 pm »

Me neither and I don't know what I did wrong. I posted it on another forum with no problem.

http://www.the3006cafe.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3471.0;attach=138

Just try it again, hangman. I've had that happen, also. (I've only posted a few images, myself, and don't always get good results.) Be sure you hit "post" after you've browsed to find the image.

I'd really like to see the artwork.

Claire

EDIT: That's weird. In your quote above, a URL appears. But I don't see that URL when I look at the message I quoted. Also, when I click on the link, I end up at a site that tells me my access is forbidden.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:49:10 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

hangman

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 04:25:18 pm »

At the 30.06 Cafe it measures 2'' wide and 1 1/4'' tall. What happened? The greeting card they put it on only measures 5 1/2'' wide by 4 1/4'' tall. It looks better small.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 04:45:38 pm »

Very Nice hangman and in watercolors too. Wow.

My mother has begun showing the early signs of senile dementia in the Assisted Living center where she now lives.
She used to knit, do paint-by-numbers, do Jigsaw Puzzles and Crossword puzzles but other than that I cannot remember any other art type activity that she was "into".
[Is chasing after three kids an art ?]

A Long Comfortable Life to Dorothy

All the Best,

gooch
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

coloradohermit

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:07:50 pm »

Having had way too much experience with Alzheimers, its always a joy to see a glimpse of soul remaining as you have to watch the person disappear before your eyes. Thanks for sharing. I hope the painting will be an ongoing part of your family memories.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

spatter

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:41:02 pm »

Really beautiful and amazing.  I know you're proud.

Having lived with Mother's dementia for 5 years, I know how gratifying it is to see sparks of life...and to see them enjoying life.

Bless you for sharing.

Spatter
It's the Government's job to print the money, deliver the mail and declare war. Now give me my cigarettes.

Florence King

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 04:53:43 am »

Thanks, hangman. That's pretty amazing for a woman with dementia. The snow atop the pump and the barrel, the nice technique in the green in the background -- very well-observed and well-done..

How sad that her mind is aleady going at only 77. How good that she still has that.

Glad you persisted in posting it.

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

hangman

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 12:17:55 pm »

Thanks all, it'll cheer her up to learn of the picture's popularity. She'll forget that in a couple of minutes, but for a little while she'll be proud of herself.

amagi

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 04:11:48 pm »

Yes. A beautiful painting.  Keep looking for the communication.
When my grandmother was failing with dementia, Grandpa told us she had stopped talking.  Not true!  She had stopped shouting so he could hear.  :laugh:  She spoke quite a lot.  Not always inteligiple or relevant, but not as bad as not talking.  I warmed my heart to hear it anyway.
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 04:49:46 pm »

That is remarkable, especially if she had no previous art experience.

After a long career in nursing, much of it with the elderly and far too much of it with dementia patients, I encourage everyone who knows an older person to simply TALK to them as much as possible. Do whatever you can to help them find really meaningful work, not just play time. I am convinced that the greatest cause of dementia is the death of purpose and meaning in their lives.

How can anything but dementia and death result from a life of TV, childish "activities" and being treated like infants? This is too often what our elders are condemned to live with once someone decides they can no longer totally care for themselves.

See my true stories about this: "For Her Safety" http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/03/10/09/editor.htm
And, "A Gift For Granny" http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/03/11/26/editor.htm
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

hangman

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 04:03:49 pm »

Lynn at The Caring Place said if we thought this was good we ought to see some she's done of mountains and how well she uses the contrast in colors. Being colorblind myself, I can't see the purples very well but they say she does a very good job. We'll see.

Lisa Aenne

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 03:06:33 pm »

hangman, you MIL's painting is lovely.  It warms you when you see such sparks of creativity when sometimes all we here is bad news.  Thank you for sharing!
Gnomes live ten times faster than humans. They're harder to see than a high-speed mouse. That's one reason why most humans hardly ever see them. The other is that humans are very good at not seeing things they know aren't there. And, since sensible humans know that there are no such things as people four inches high, a gnome who doesn't want to be seen probably won't be seen... Terry Pratchett
Pages: [1]   Go Up