The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37   Go Down

Author Topic: Signs of the Greater Depression  (Read 109812 times)

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
Signs of the Greater Depression
« on: October 25, 2008, 07:47:59 pm »

I thought it might be useful to have a thread documenting the signs along the way as we enter the Greater Depression.

Today truckmaker Volvo admitted demand across the Continent has crashed by 99.7% as it took orders for just 115 new lorries in the last three months.

That compares to orders totalling 41,970 in the third quarter of 2007. full text
edited to fix faulty link
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 05:18:59 am by Silver »

Junker

Re: Signs of the Greater Depression
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 02:41:02 am »

faulty link there... try this one

"The depth of the recession was revealed today as truckmaker Volvo admitted demand across the Continent has crashed by 99.7% as it took orders for just 115 new lorries in the last three months."

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
    • Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 02:49:37 am »

faulty link there... try this one

"The depth of the recession was revealed today as truckmaker Volvo admitted demand across the Continent has crashed by 99.7% as it took orders for just 115 new lorries in the last three months."

Thanks, Junker.
Truly frightening report.

Shorty Dawkins
Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
http://www.shortydawkins.weebly.com

Junker

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 03:47:41 am »

And thank you. ShortyDawkins.

Now a related story... US giant GM shares fall to 50 year low

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
    • Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:45:48 am »

Daimler to suspend production for one month - report

By MarketWatch
Last update: 3:26 p.m. EDT Oct. 25, 2008
BERLIN (AFP) -- German carmaker Daimler (DAI:DAI
News, chart, profile, more
Last:

Delayed quote dataAdd to portfolio
Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
DAI, , ) , hit by falling demand amid the global financial crisis, plans to suspend production for a month beginning in December, a newspaper said in report due to appear Sunday.
The break in production would begin on December 11 and last until January 12, Frankfurter Sonntagszeitung reported, citing a company spokesman.
Daimler, the first luxury car maker to present its quarterly results, unveiled big falls in profits on Thursday and issued a new profit warning owing to the global banking crisis.
"The financial crisis is turning into an economic crisis," Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche told a telephone news conference. It provoked "in recent weeks a dramatic slump on our major markets," he said.
"The situation is very challenging," Zetsche added, "we are living in extraordinary times."

Emphasis mine. I took the liberty of pasting the whole (short) article.
Daimler cuttung production for a whole month? Unheard of. Who next?

Shorty Dawkins
Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
http://www.shortydawkins.weebly.com

Hollywoodgold

• You can trust them to be them...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:29:51 am »

And from Volvo:

Volvo truck sales plunge 99.7%

Evening Standard

24 October 2008, 2:19pm
Reader comments (4)

The depth of the recession was revealed today as truckmaker Volvo admitted demand across the Continent has crashed by 99.7% as it took orders for just 115 new lorries in the last three months.

The full article:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investing-and-markets/article.html?in_article_id=456069&in_page_id=3&position=moretopstories

DS

"Democracy must be something more than
two wolves and a sheep voting on what to
have for dinner."

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:13:53 am »

From the LRC blog

Writes Scott L. Fields: "When getting my coffee at Starbucks this morning, I didn't get an insulator on my cup. That normally means they've run out. When I asked, I was told they've been told to no longer provide insulators unless explicitly asked. Hmmmmm."

Alton Speers

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:11:44 pm »

I still hold a part-time job doing audio at a college. It keeps me in mad money and I still get to twist knobs. Yesterday I mentioned that I didn't see too many students. I was told by my boss that the college had lost 400 students already this year. ALL departments were told to cut budgets by 15%. Many of the students left due to costs. There's also been a marked decrease in the amount of events we handle. I've worked less than 20 hours this month and right now there's nothing scheduled until the first weekend in November.

Hollywoodgold

• You can trust them to be them...
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 09:21:02 pm »

I still hold a part-time job doing audio at a college. It keeps me in mad money and I still get to twist knobs. Yesterday I mentioned that I didn't see too many students. I was told by my boss that the college had lost 400 students already this year. ALL departments were told to cut budgets by 15%. Many of the students left due to costs. There's also been a marked decrease in the amount of events we handle. I've worked less than 20 hours this month and right now there's nothing scheduled until the first weekend in November.

If you're twisting knobs rather than sliding them, the equipment budget must have been cut some time ago.

I believe it was a "finger of speech"...

DS
"Democracy must be something more than
two wolves and a sheep voting on what to
have for dinner."

iloilo

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 12:40:58 am »

I believe it was a "finger of speech"...
DS
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
ff

OLD TIRED RN

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 01:06:04 am »

Yes, everbody hang on for dear life.

RN
When freedom fails, the best men rot in filthy jails, and they who cry APEASE APEASE are hanged by those who they tried to please.

Alton Speers

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 12:32:43 pm »

If you're twisting knobs rather than sliding them, the equipment budget must have been cut some time ago.

What else is a knobjockey s'posed to twist?  :laugh: :laugh: :mellow:

All kidding aside, once you set your faders and trim your gain structures on all inputs all that's left is to hone the eq on any channel that may need help and that's done on the knobs. I drive a Midas 32ch. into a DBX Drive Rack -->EV Precision amps-->Dynacord speakers @130db FOH. The sidefills and monitors are in serious need of upgrade, need to replace about 15 mics and I'd like to complete the mic stand changeover, add a 1/2 dozen more wireless mics and matching Countryman over-ear mics. Plus I would like to upgrade the 4 portable systems for around campus. In the little theatre the system needs to be completely replaced. For now it sort of survives on leftovers and gaff tape. Heck I'm still using a Crown DC300 for the mains which are Community CS 12's flown from the antepro truss. We don't even have subs in there but they're not really necessary as we use the little theatre mostly for lectures, guest speakers, recitals and some smaller performances. We just had Tommy Sands in there last week. It's an intimate setting at about 250 seats so not a lot of reinforcement is needed.

Alton Speers

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 09:17:41 am »

What else is a knobjockey s'posed to twist?  :laugh: :laugh: :mellow:

All kidding aside, once you set your faders and trim your gain structures on all inputs all that's left is to hone the eq on any channel that may need help and that's done on the knobs. I drive a Midas 32ch. into a DBX Drive Rack -->EV Precision amps-->Dynacord speakers @130db FOH. The sidefills and monitors are in serious need of upgrade, need to replace about 15 mics and I'd like to complete the mic stand changeover, add a 1/2 dozen more wireless mics and matching Countryman over-ear mics. Plus I would like to upgrade the 4 portable systems for around campus. In the little theatre the system needs to be completely replaced. For now it sort of survives on leftovers and gaff tape. Heck I'm still using a Crown DC300 for the mains which are Community CS 12's flown from the antepro truss. We don't even have subs in there but they're not really necessary as we use the little theatre mostly for lectures, guest speakers, recitals and some smaller performances. We just had Tommy Sands in there last week. It's an intimate setting at about 250 seats so not a lot of reinforcement is needed.

I'm impressed, but that sounds more like a sound reinforcement paradigm than "broadcast quality" gear.
The closest to audiophile I've found in a radio station is Howe, and I think they gave up several years ago.
Their system that allowed monitoring without cans with the mic on was interesting.

Yep. Sound reinforcement. 30+ years now. I've done broadcast and recording also. I find live work to be the most challenging. I sold my business in 2002 but still work out at the college and occasionally do a gig for a tour company out of Chicago.

As far as "broadcast quality" gear, that stuff was never any better than live gear. The quality spectrum of gear is essentially the same for all industrial audio. Everything from cheap crap to overly expensive "boutique stuff" that rarely improves the listener's experience but makes engineers feel swell and keeps salesmen fed. Like any other profession or trade, in audio it's the nut behind the knob that makes it sound good, mediocre or like crap.

AnotherArmchair

• Okay, who didn't see that coming?
    • Oldsmoblogger
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 09:53:38 pm »

Arcelor Mittal has idled its Cleveland blast furnaces through at least the end of the year; only the hot strip mill plus maintenance and finishing operations will continue.

I seem to recall things like this back in the '70s, when steel was originally dying in Cleveland and the Mahoning Valley further east.
Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, spirit the greater as our strength lessens.

Alton Speers

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 06:06:01 am »

Circuit City to close 155 stores - http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/02/circuit-city-to-shutter-155-stores-locations-to-go-public-tomor/
Black Thunder mine (Arch Coal - Powder river Basin - Wyoming) is idling a dragline in an attempt to maintain profits in face of low prices/low demand --
linky
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37   Go Up