The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: On-line Resources  (Read 34030 times)

Nedda of the Hill

• Stand
Daily homeschool freebies
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:27 am »

This is a website that will email you each week with free online resources for your homeschool. 

Some of the freebies are for one day only and usually come with a price tag.

http://www.HomeschoolFreebieOfTheDay.com

knobster

• Come and take!
Re: On-line Resources
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 05:27:47 am »

My darling wife and I spent ~an hour discussing home schooling last night.  I was always cautious with my approach on this topic as both my parents-in-laws were teachers, huuuge liberals, pro-unions, pro-big government, etc etc etc and my wife was very much of the same mindset when I first married her.  Well, we are hoping to 'test the waters' this summer before fully commiting to this.

It was tough to fall asleep last night as I felt like doing the Snoopy Happy Dance!  I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time going through these threads...
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »

Well, we are hoping to 'test the waters' this summer before fully commiting to this.... It was tough to fall asleep last night as I felt like doing the Snoopy Happy Dance!  I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time going through these threads...

:thumbsup:
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

iloilo

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 10:04:58 am »

I will be talking about how to organize and sustain cooperative community schools March 25th, and the schedule is here. 
http://agora.io/etienne/schedule
ff

Junker

Re: Classic Math texts (and more)
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »

I thank Nedda for a recommendation.

http://www.archive.org
http://www.archive.org/details/texts

You searched for: arithmetic; Results: 3,507

You searched for: "in arithmetic; Results: 249

Thousands of books.

Do the same for any subject.

Copied from an email list that I signed up for:

Don Potter has put together a wonderful, WONDERFUL page of old arithmetic
texts that have stood the test of time. Perhaps the gem of the bunch is
the complete version of FIRST LESSONS IN ARITHMETIC, published in 1878.
Here's what Don says about it:

"First-Lessons in Arithmetic, Jones Bros., 1878:
"This math book will provide home school parents and public school teachers
an incomparable tool from the past to help their students master
the fundamentals of arithmetic. This book was handed down to me by my family.
My ancestors used it. It is my privilege to make this precious family
heirloom available to the public. My main purpose in publishing this book
on the web is not just antiquarian, I fully expect that parents and teachers
will download this book and use it to produce a generation of children who
are experts at basic math calculation. Personally, I think it is far better
than Ray's Arithmetic, and vastly superior to the confusing modern consumable
workbook that plagues today's classrooms." 

There are also several more classic texts that can be downloaded on this
page as well.

Truly, these are rare pearls of great value from days gone by. Check it out here:

http://donpotter.net/education_pages/math.html

Junker

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 06:25:16 pm »

Looks good, Ff. Lots of 'names' there-- Patri on Sea 'scapes, and others.

I'd like to see a 'Freedompedia' (wikipedia) covering all those subjects.

The problem with info is more in 'sorting and searching' these days, I thin'.
Books: 150,000+ pub'ed each year;
mags: ?? more;
etc.

so [wiki]freedom info and subjs[/wiki]

I will be talking about how to organize and sustain cooperative community schools March 25th, and the schedule is here. 
http://agora.io/etienne/schedule
ff
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:27:40 pm by Junker »

NuclearDruid

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 09:37:11 am »

Not online vaporware. Its an "old style" chemistry set with real reagents.

New Chemistry Set Caters to Homeschoolers

The only issues that I can find after looking at the contents is that some of the materials could be considered "precursors" by chemistry ignorant LEOs and prosecutors. Of course that is a pretty low threshold consider baking soda is a "precursor" in some locales. MO legis-clown wants you to sign log, show ID to buy...baking soda

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 10:42:54 am »

Good grief!  I'm glad I purchased 20+ pounds from Costco last month.  I should be good to go for quite awhile.  Then again, my son recently discovered that he can make a nice little rocket with a pop bottle, water, vinegar and baking soda...

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 06:51:38 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6FvJ6jMGHU  20 minute Tedtalk on homeschooling.  Something to refer a cloistered aparratchik to.  It also refers to a couple of distance learning sites in the text references.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Rarick

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 06:36:45 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owJvC216M0s    A virtual solar system astronomy app from nasa........

solarsystem.nasa.gov/eyes/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:53:41 am by Rarick »
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Rarick

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 06:51:17 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mUDw0sRZV0    a speech on the concept of Learning Communities on the internet, a bit of emphasis on you tube, but also talking about how people on the internet form locations of learning.

Rarick

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:34:04 am by Rarick »

Rarick

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 07:49:06 am »

Ab overview of shifts that are happening in the industrialized world.........  ( a bit too much green and crisis minded for me but the concepts are worth having in mind.....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snsb3Pc_C4M

gaurdduck

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2013, 03:55:37 am »

https://www.khanacademy.org/

I'm doing this ^ for Math and Biology to prep for College entrance exams. I'm glad I started over with basics because they never taught me in public or private school; what the math could be used for, its origins, or the abstract ideas behind it. It was always just solving a problem to get a good grade, but this teaches applicable mathematics in an easily understood fashion. I highly recommend it. Be sure to get a profile. It keeps track of what videos you've watched and the work you've done. Oh yeah, and it's free.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2017, 12:20:23 pm »

My darling wife and I spent ~an hour discussing home schooling last night.  I was always cautious with my approach on this topic as both my parents-in-laws were teachers, huuuge liberals, pro-unions, pro-big government, etc etc etc and my wife was very much of the same mindset when I first married her.  Well, we are hoping to 'test the waters' this summer before fully commiting to this.

It was tough to fall asleep last night as I felt like doing the Snoopy Happy Dance!  I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time going through these threads...

Hah!  It sure is fun to see such old threads come up and to see a bit of history...

My wife is about to start her 7th year of homeschooling our darling children!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up