The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: What I learned today about HS'ing  (Read 49274 times)

mutti

• Mutti
Re: What I learned today about HS'ing
« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2012, 09:09:15 am »

Some of the stuff can get political, but its accidental and fairly "What can YOU do" consistancy with a lot of "Local Effort" thrown in makes it mostly palatable for me.  there are quite a few that use the govt. for backing up legitimacy, but they are fairly rare, or treat it as just another source.

+1

Our job is to provide the opportunity/basics of Education (to learn to think). Our job is not to tell them what to think. If we wanted to do that - well - we'd just pick up a standardized approved boxed school set.  Of course that is the "walking the line" part of unschooling (outside of the 3 R's).
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #211 on: December 05, 2012, 05:35:39 am »

Yeah it is a fine line avoiding indoctrination in anything until they start developing their own discriminatory skills and maybe guiding them away from the darker corners.............
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2012, 02:35:40 pm »

"Oh Man. Look at this! Wow - can you believe that? Awesome" - 10 yo. Life is pretty cool if you just look around through a Child's eyes.

The Amazing Camouflage Deceptions of World War II - Seymour Reit http://www.amazon.com/Masquerade-amazing-camouflage-deceptions-World/dp/0801549310

A few photos from this source : http://strangeharvest.com/mt/archive/blog/military_decept.php

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »

The old saying actually goes "The Creator gave ech animal enough brains to preserve it's hide." A double meaning to it. Don't ask for resources, though, I have none. Run across it regularly studying primitive technology. Never heard of it being done with birds. Please keep us updated, I'm curious as to how it turns out.

So the gift was finished and given to their elder Sister (who decided she didn't have "room" for it - at least that is what she conveyed to me). Now it has been mounted on two dowels and proudly hangs in my milkroom. Very pliable, no feather loss. They've decided when we butcher the other 6 geese to make me a "mini-cape". I'll try to get photos up.

Lonewolf72

« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2013, 11:45:18 pm »

Sounds great. Might have to get more details on what they did.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2013, 12:29:27 pm »

A few times over the last couple of weeks I have been using M&M's to teach some basic math to the 4 1/2 year-olds. It's been an excellent tool to use! The candy holds their interest and I can utilize the various colors advantageously. Using just ten pieces for each child, we worked on addition, subtraction and counting by two's. So far so good!

They wanted to know about tornadoes so we explored that this morning. Age appropriate, of course as I know it can be a little scary.
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2013, 12:50:49 pm »

A few times over the last couple of weeks I have been using M&M's to teach some basic math to the 4 1/2 year-olds.

Tried that with my two for a while. All we seemed to be able to do was subtraction... the M&Ms kept vanishing. LOL

Had a little better success with walnuts and almonds. Once the lesson was over, we cracked them and made nut bread. :) They'd sit still for almost anything if the end result was going to be edible.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2013, 12:53:51 pm »

Yeah, I can see food having some limits. If not from them, well then the teacher! :rolleyes:  I have some art supplies that I plan to use for mathematics, too.

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2013, 08:56:19 am »

Kids need time to just "be", so we had a "snow day":

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:59:20 am by mutti »

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2013, 11:40:38 am »

My gosh that looks fun mutti.  How I wish we lived closer.  My son would be jumping right along with yours and my two daughters would be petting/feeding every single animal they could get their hands on!
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2013, 05:24:57 pm »

Could you just imagine a gathering of TMM offspring - now that would be interesting.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2013, 10:16:26 pm »

Could you just imagine a gathering of TMM offspring - now that would be interesting.
They'd make one heck of a group of "Wolverines". :laugh:

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2013, 07:22:41 am »

They'd make one heck of a group of "Wolverines". :laugh:

:wav:
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • Moderator Group
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2013, 11:44:58 am »

Kids need time to just "be"...

Absolutely! Great pics, btw, thanks for posting! :)

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2013, 07:39:16 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqLiLH6Sjnw       The 2 sigma problem, 10 minutes about the difference between an F and a C.   The speaker talks about how face to face/ personalized instruction can make a 2 grade-2 sigma difference and what gamification of school subjects can do.    Getting back to kids learning by play........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up