The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: What I learned today about HS'ing  (Read 48548 times)

knobster

• Come and take!
Re: What I learned today about HS'ing
« Reply #195 on: November 06, 2012, 10:24:28 am »

That is sweet Mutti!

My son (with the help of a 12-yr old neighbor boy) built a bow out of a coat hanger and rubber bands.  We quickly informed them that nerf-tipped arrows only would be allowed indoors (after a similar incident of the arrow embedding itself in the target).
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #196 on: November 06, 2012, 11:48:44 am »

knobster - I think they are such great little People and some days I wonder - "Was that ever me?". So - did his smile spread from ear to ear? lol
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2012, 02:52:02 pm »

Geese "pelts" can be cured without the use of brain material - and it would be the Minions who would do so...

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2012, 03:04:15 pm »

Geese "pelts" can be cured without the use of brain material - and it would be the Minions who would do so...

My feverish unorthodox imagination is having a field day with this visual image... :) Geese "pelts?"

But I can't imagine any of your minions without brain material, so I'm puzzled. LOL
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2012, 05:53:32 pm »

Well - I don't know technically if it is a pelt, but once they saw the skin thickness and thick down/feathers, one ran inside and did some 'net research and used the book Bushcraft. They created a stretcher bar system while I skinned the goose. Then they tacked the "pelt" feather side down, scraped off any fat to avoid decomp, and are using salt to "cure" it.

Apparently I committed a major mistake when I threw away the brain - who knew  :headscratch:  Each critter has exactly the correct amount of brain material to tan it's hide. (They referred to Mel Tappan, so I'm guessing they know what they are talking about)

Because our gifts are made for the most part, they plan to give this to their 22 yo sibling. If it works that's alright - this is the one who used to collect the feet of fowl to sketch dragon parts.

Lonewolf72

« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55:56 pm »

The old saying actually goes "The Creator gave ech animal enough brains to preserve it's hide." A double meaning to it. Don't ask for resources, though, I have none. Run across it regularly studying primitive technology. Never heard of it being done with birds. Please keep us updated, I'm curious as to how it turns out.

Raw eggs can be substituted for brains, as well.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2012, 04:43:42 am »

I'm not sure if the world is ready for these guys?

I didn't know...that apparently the best thing about super sized Pixie Sticks is the fact they make great Blow Guns
(note Sight ? Where do they get these ideas?)

Projectile = Wadded TP with splintered Popsicle stick - After being embedded in the "target" box, this became an "Outside" Activity.

He has not yet requested Poison Dart Frogs......................................but his sister mentioned Rhubarb leaves.......(help)

Split peas, sinkers, and other similar sized roughly round objects.  With popcorn (Unpopped) you can go full auto......
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2012, 08:51:56 am »

Raw eggs can be substituted for brains, as well.

D'oh - I've dozens of those...next Goose - I'll casually mention they research that...

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2012, 08:56:09 am »

With popcorn (Unpopped) you can go full auto......
lol. He was teaching the Cat's to fetch cat food ..

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2012, 08:54:11 pm »

With popcorn (Unpopped) you can go full auto......
lol. He was teaching the Cat's to fetch cat food ..

Oh that is funny as heck. 
First off, "teaching" a cat anything is questionable,
but the whole picture / movie came together in one sentence. 
I would LOVE to watch a young'un teaching the cat to fetch.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2012, 10:15:46 am »

I think the Cats think they are Great Pyrs as they were "raised" by the dogs from about day 3. They will retrieve balls, hair rubber bands and stuffed toys. Of course the Great Pyrs don't retreive anything, so maybe the Cats have trained us to think they are trained - hm - should stop while I still make semi-sense.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2012, 08:44:20 am »

So I'm thinking - wow -Biomimicry - that's a cool!

(warning auto pop up)
BC Grads: Solving The World’s Water Crisis With A Beetle

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/14/bc-grads-solving-world-water-crisis-with-a-beetle/

NBD’s design for a water collecting device is based on the Namib Desert Beetle, which manages to survive in one of the hottest, driest, and most uninhabitable places on the planet. The bug uses its back to extract its water supply from morning fogs. Wind pushes the moisture into the peaks of the beetle’s back until enough condensation builds up to form droplets of water.

Galvez credits Sorensen with coming up with an idea while taking a Biomimicry course.

Apparently they have founded a start up to work on the process - http://www.nbdnano.com/

So I share this with 10 yo Minion "Wow! Look how cool!" and he sort of Meh's the idea, goes to his room and pulls out an "Our Wonderful World" from 1952 and points out a lizard that does the same thing. Apparently the idea is not so new (although the term Biomimicry is new).

Crazy reading kids! Rain on my coolness factor for the day... ^_^

Rarick

« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2012, 08:47:00 am »

Tedtalks.com has all sorts of material and a bunch on biomimicry.  They last anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2012, 08:49:42 am »

Tedtalks.com has all sorts of material and a bunch on biomimicry.  They last anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes........

We love Tedtalks.com - in fact Minons have free range access to it thanks to you suggesting it! That starts some "roundtable" dinner discussions for sure.

Rarick

« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2012, 09:01:22 am »

Some of the stuff can get political, but its accidental and fairly "What can YOU do" consistancy with a lot of "Local Effort" thrown in makes it mostly palatable for me.  there are quite a few that use the govt. for backing up legitimacy, but they are fairly rare, or treat it as just another source.

There was one about global warming that presented Nine aspects of the issue on how humanity is supposed to be affecting the environment.  It was pretty convinging and used a whole bunch of information that is not usually used by that crowd, I may have to change my point of view on that.  It wouldn't change what I am doing too much though, I already have a pretty green lifestyle.  The title of the talk was "Let the Environment Guide Development" or something close.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up