The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: What I learned today about HS'ing  (Read 48772 times)

bull

Re: What I learned today about HS'ing
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 07:19:19 pm »

mutti my kids go to a church school, i wish i could home school them , i dont think thay would live throu it.
my oldest was on the trap line at 16 months, and i would put a snare on her to keep her out of the coon poop.
and counting bullets over and over, time well spent .

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 07:48:57 am »

As a parent I have a lot of "assumptions" - normally that leads to interesting experiences.

Example:

Stalking the Wild Asparagus  by Euell Gibbons (wiki)has become sort of a "go to book" for 2 of our minions. They became excited when after fermenting various over ripe fruits/veggies and mixing with mud, there was a real "wild food" book available.

Reading about Candied Acorns, they began a hunt for the variety we have littering the deck and paths.  They also heroically climbed the rope to get to the top of the slide and I pretended I did not notice them for hours leaning off the top of the slide (with it's 15' drop) to get the best acorns right off of the tree.

After my heart stopped pounding, I explained that the green acorns would not work for the process and they distributed their 10#s or so back "to the wild". A few days later I noticed the younger snuffing around like a little piglet gathering his treasures off of the ground. Lovingly he pocketed them (note to self : ensure pockets are cleared before washing) and dumped them into a 1 gallon bucket.  He then carefully cleaned a 1/2 gallon container, dried it and put in his haul. Because I was in the middle of pears, I ensured him that later we would work on his project.

A week later while finishing teaching all of them how to patch the knees of their jeans, we noticed a movement on the table. Four pairs of eyes focused on the object : An Acorn. Out of the side of the little treasure emerged a pin sized white dot. We gazed as 2 little eyes developed, a remarkably pudgy body squeezed through, and then the entire critter. At 1/2" long it wasn't really threatening, until we all in concert turned our eyes to the 1/2 gallon glass jar.

Describing the seething mass of small white bodies that were a few inches deep on the bottom won't really explain the squishy shiver that traveled up and down my spine. However, the gatherer breathed a huge sigh of relief. "Thank goodness we were too busy to try them last week."

So - my assumptions were these:

1. Minions would know enough to pick-up ripe acorns vs green - Nope. I should have been clear in what they should look for.
2. Minions would know enough to examine for little borer holes as they gathered - Nope. Hadn't addressed that step either.
3. Kids are smarter and more observant (i.e. I was too busy to help) than we think.

I spent yesterday, with some intermittent help, picking up/sorting acorns. We will try the boiling, baking, candying project later this week.

Engaging them through assisting in projects has always been my goal, but deep down I am a little glad we were too busy (all protein issues aside).

mutti

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 01:30:18 pm »

Kid aren't afraid to ask:

"Let's say we got in an accident and had to leave the car and were walking out in the middle of nowhere...how would we know where we were walking was safe?"

I sent out the questioner to take this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22465254@N04/4253974643/

and we sat down to discuss how by looking at the "markers" (i.e. trash willow, fallen log, lack of brush/grass tips with just an inch or so of now having fallen on bear ground, etc.) could help us see what might be under the snow.

We also discussed using a walking stick to try to help in identifying a little more what is under our feet. 

In the above photo, a child under 50 or 60#'s would be able to walk out about 1/4th of the way : the ice would then crack depositing the child in the water with slippery dry snow to try and get purchase on. A possible disaster.

I'm glad that questions are not verboten

mutti

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 07:31:16 pm »

reminds me of how my public schooling was being quietly supplemented by mom and dad.   It constantly amazes me how some people I know REFUSE to explore stuff.   I have one friend, has had a computer for 4 years now, he can barely change the wallpaper.  I figured that out in 10 minutes, I think something about PS sucks that right out of you.

The talk about the X-Wing fighter and sealant, relates a lot to the play helicopter me and my sister made out of a picnic table.  We had been watching hueys on the news...........  I had to help dad repair the table later but it was all good :laugh:

Kids really learn by playing I learned by playing with dad far more than in school, that was more of remembering enough to pass a test.  With dad geometry, carpentry, history and a little bit of industrialization all got mixed into building a simple chicken coop.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

spatter

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 09:11:10 pm »

Kids really learn by playing I learned by playing with dad far more than in school,

Have you seen the ads on TV telling kids to "Go out and play an hour a day".

They scare me.  Back in my day, we played outside from end of school til dark with a little time off for dinner.  All year round (in south Florida).  And in the summer all we did was play.

Yes, we had to help around the house and yard, but that was like play.  My favorite thing was gathering eggs.

I can only wonder how my dad would have responded to the idea of the gummint telling kids to PLAY!

Spatter

It's the Government's job to print the money, deliver the mail and declare war. Now give me my cigarettes.

Florence King

Winston

• Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 10:54:34 pm »

Great to see someone giving their little uns an education that resembles life...

My years of PS I learned like 1000x more on days I skipped school and camped out in the adjoining woods for 7 hours with a friend or two than days I actually went. So you're doing the right thing! :laugh:

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 07:21:21 pm »

Each child has a different motivation for the actions that they take. I know that sounds like a  :doh: moment, but really how many of us as parents view our children as individuals vs "family unit parts"?

Example: Today I had to transport a buck somewhere for breeding and make a stop at a farm store. I explained last night to the minions that I was leaving by 7:00 am. If they wanted to go they needed to get up to help feed babies (5 am) on their own and complete all their tasks to go. Normal wake up is 7 or 8ish most mornings for them. This morning 2 popped up about the same time I got up and 1 stayed in bed until 6ish. When I was getting ready to leave, 7 yo minion said "I just wanted you to know that it's not that I didn't want to go with you today. I just have other plans that don't mesh with yours today." No problem, ND had a buddy today and we had a great time out.

The point I am trying to make here, is sometimes I "lump" them together because it is necessary (i.e. kidding season and I need runners back to the house for something) and sometimes their plans are different from mine which is fine also.

I am happy that Homeschooling allows some wiggle room vs "scheduling" because other wise how do children have the opportunity to decide what they as individual people need/want/desire?

Winston

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 08:51:45 pm »

I did notice that you call your little individuals minions :laugh:

Kinda funny

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 12:59:04 pm »

Kinda funny

They actually titled themselves that during a role playing game (Never Winter Nights I think). They all wanted to be "Deekin" or Dalen. (sp). They specifically did not want to be "evil minions" though.
Sometimes they are "kidlets" or rug rats - just depends on how they/we are feeling.

amagi

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 01:33:27 pm »

I showed my 11 yo the picture of the ice and explained the problem.  He has been examining the landscape ever since and declaring to me where the ice is.
I have some trouble getting my city kid to take an interest in anything about the outdoors so I am mightily pleased.
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 05:59:14 pm »

I showed my 11 yo the picture of the ice and explained the problem.  He has been examining the landscape ever since and declaring to me where the ice is.
I have some trouble getting my city kid to take an interest in anything about the outdoors so I am mightily pleased.

:thumbsup:

Just keep trying - eventually you'll find something to interest him.  This Virtual Incubator for chicken eggs (D/U may not work so well) intrigued some 4Hrs that we forwarded it to.

mutti

Winston

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 06:17:29 pm »

Kinda funny

They actually titled themselves that during a role playing game (Never Winter Nights I think). They all wanted to be "Deekin" or Dalen. (sp). They specifically did not want to be "evil minions" though.
Sometimes they are "kidlets" or rug rats - just depends on how they/we are feeling.

Don't sweat it, I was just funnin'  :thumbsup:

Rarick

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 11:34:58 pm »

My mom also said "sometimes you have to just leave the kids alone and let them process, bombarding them with too much info can be as bad as not expecting enough of them."    That explains why she was kind of matter of fact when I didn't want to go to school because I was tired of all the people a couple of times.   "good, helping dad will be a change of pace then", I didn't get to be lazy, but I also got a change of pace.   The chat with dad while doing other things also would solve or get some suggestions about the school situation.........   I was generally expected to be in school, but "breaks"were permitted.

Today there would definitely be a PTB issue I suspect.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 08:23:59 am »

So I'm milking in the afternoon (a relaxing hour or so job for me) when I hear this thunk whap, thunk whap above me. Hanging up the pail and ushering out the doe, I shimmy up the ladder expecting to find minions smushed under 60 - 90# hay bales. Nope.

Seems they decided to move around some bales to create a "command center" while imagining they are in a drop ship/'mech.

My heart slows down and they are saying "Hey. We're supposed to get out and play an hour a day" -

makes sense to me!

mutti

Rarick

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 08:25:37 am »

Dropship= Igloo  link to learning thing when they get back in?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up