The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitness  (Read 10061 times)

Augustwest

Fitness
« on: August 31, 2004, 08:42:39 pm »

Was pondering this not to long ago, and mentioned to a friend of mine that I thought it might not be a bad topic.

By its very nature, life in a gulch is more physically demanding than one, say, watching all fourteen epsiodes of Firefly in a row, seven nights a week. So in some ways a healthy body comes with the territory.

But if things every really got ugly, it would be good to be in decent condition. Particularly considering that the ugliness would be coming from young, fit people who train for it.

And many of the gunnies I know, who I would hope would be sticking up for what's right, look like they'd drop after jogging 10 feet.

So some time ago, I made a commitment to myself to get to the point where I could run 5 miles. Not fast, cuz I'm getting older, and never was built for fast. I'm not buff, but  I did it. And can still. And I'm glad of it.

I'm curious what others' thoughts are, and what, if anything, they do to keep in a little bit of shape...

\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Fitness
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 08:58:10 pm »

So some time ago, I made a commitment to myself to get to the point where I could run 5 miles. Not fast, cuz I'm getting older, and never was built for fast. I'm not buff, but  I did it. And can still. And I'm glad of it.

My hat's off to you, Augustwest. Staying in 5-mile run shape after a lifetime of earning all those points on the "going to hell" scale is impressive.

I also suspect you've just introduced a topic that will make a lot of us (other than Iron Man Jack_Harrison and a few stalwart others) go uh ... oh .... erm ... uh. And BTW, I just remembered I have urgent business over in the gun forum ...

I detest hard, organized exercise. (I'd be motivated to do sit-ups, for instance, if I could start with 200 and work my way down to five. Now, that would be worth working toward.

I walk several miles a day and practice a bit of yoga. But I'd rather get my "fitness" by doing useful labor than by exercising. And (she admits guiltily) I don't do enough hard labor.

Tell you what. You run from the JBT's. I'll crouch behind the refrigerator and hold 'em off.

:P  
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Bobaloo

Fitness
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 09:19:37 pm »

Was pondering this not to long ago, and mentioned to a friend of mine that I thought it might not be a bad topic.

By its very nature, life in a gulch is more physically demanding than one, say, watching all fourteen epsiodes of Firefly in a row, seven nights a week. So in some ways a healthy body comes with the territory.

But if things every really got ugly, it would be good to be in decent condition. Particularly considering that the ugliness would be coming from young, fit people who train for it.

And many of the gunnies I know, who I would hope would be sticking up for what's right, look like they'd drop after jogging 10 feet.

I'm curious what others' thoughts are, and what, if anything, they do to keep in a little bit of shape...
As Claire said, uh ... oh .... erm ... uh.

Your goal of being able to run 5 miles is an excellent measure of fitness, I think.  I'm not there, but I'm working towards it.  Every so often, I'll round up my weights and start doing some upper body strength training for a couple of months.  I always notice a marked improvement in my pistol accuracy shortly thereafter.  I really oughta start doing that routinely...uh...oh...erm...uh.  Of course, that might also be due to the extra practice with the pistol.  I really oughta start shooting more often...uh...oh...erm...uh.  

The resistance to Big Brother was crushed yesterday, thanks to the high temperatures and uphill fighting conditions.  Those rebels who survived the heart attacks will be sent to labor camps to work until death.  None are expected to last more than 3 days.

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
Fitness
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 10:16:54 pm »

I wish I could do a 5-mile run without dying. I had asthma as a little kid, and I'm still trying to get rid of its effects. I can do one mile without too much trouble (just gets me really winded), and I've managed to do two one occasion, but no more. My regular workout (3 days a week first thing in the morning, which fits my class schedule well this semester) is a one-mile jog/run (to be increased as it becomes possible), and then sets of crunches, pullups, and dips. I like that combination because it seems to work everything fairly well, and is simple enough to do with nothing but a bar for pullups and handles for dips. I would love to add a shooting session to that morning routine, but I've yet to live anywhere that would be feasible.

IMO (and I'm no fitness expert by any stretch), the best all-around exercise is backpacking. Rather than work a particular muscle or muscle group, it tones almost the whole body. It also gives you practice with skills you (or I, at least) don't work in a gym, like balance, footing, mental alertness, orienteering, and simply experience being out in the wilderness overnight.
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Dana

Fitness
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 10:27:55 pm »

IMO (and I'm no fitness expert by any stretch), the best all-around exercise is backpacking. Rather than work a particular muscle or muscle group, it tones almost the whole body. It also gives you practice with skills you (or I, at least) don't work in a gym, like balance, footing, mental alertness, orienteering, and simply experience being out in the wilderness overnight.
I took my first ever backpacking trip about a month ago; was out two nights, and did 23 miles.  Had a blast.  I'll admit, though, I don't get enough exercise and was out of shape compared to everyone else on the trail.

Dana

Mac the Knife

• TAN$TAAFL
Fitness
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 01:55:06 am »

Last April my daughter got me to go to the gym. 5 ft 4 in and 172 pounds and no exercise. Now I do 45 minutes of hard aerobic exercise followed by about 1 1/2 hours of weight training 6 days a week. I have lost 29 pounds and 5 inches around my waist. Once the rainy season ends here in the Philippines I will start jogging too. I will be 60 in Dec. and with the great increase in physical and mental well being I will keep on exercising until the day I die. I still have about 12 pounds to loose to reach my goal of 130. I will then be down to the weight I was in my late teens and early 20's. I hope to do it by Dec. when I turn 60. So, all you couch potatoes, get off your butt and start exercising. It does a body good. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable."~H.L. Mencken

First Freedom Outlaw Brigade Merchandise Store

Junker

Fitness
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 10:18:32 am »

Bravo!!! Mac the Knife. Good stuff. Life is much easier with a body that works well.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Fitness
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 12:34:52 pm »

Really, Mac. Darned impressive.

Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

unstructuredreality

Fitness
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 02:07:12 pm »

Do you want to get in shape but don't like lightweight, "feel good" workout programs?
Thug Workout: Fitness From The Streets may be just what you've been looking for; this video demonstrates a workout using standard playground equipment (such as monkey bars and street lights) which employs calisthenics to burn fat and build muscles.

"We've got a fitness [video], like a 'Tae Bo' type of joint, but it's on a street level," Ruff Ryders' co-CEO Waah said on Wednesday of the camp's tape, titled "The Ruff Ryders' Thug Workout." "We'll have the editions like Tae Bo's got. The instructional [tape], the ultimate total-body joint. It's gonna be real crazy.

"This 'Thug Workout' tape is exercise in the 'hood," he continued. "Anywhere you go, you can work out. You can do a workout in the park, you could work out on the beaches. Work out on the light poles. Anywhere on the street, you can do this exercise."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=dvd&n=507846
;)

Peace and Good Day
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 02:11:15 pm by unstructuredreality »

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
Fitness
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 02:13:58 pm »

My routine is to clench up real tight every time I hear anyone say anything about the presidential race.  I can actually feel it working!  Right now I'm up to, like, 600 reps a day.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

Junker

Fitness
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 06:11:57 pm »

I'll admit that keeping in fair to good physical shape is important to good living. But after spending twenty years running a few miles most every day, I as well enjoy being 'retired'. My wife now takes care of the physical fitness part of the family. Just this spring she went on an 8-mile ruck march coming in with an average per mile time better than most of my run times. I say wearing 45 lbs is cheating though...all you have to do is lean forward and it'll pull you along. She says I'm crazy, but I'm not the one jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. I think maybe different folk find different ways to their own fitness levels and that's fine. It seems more a problem of getting to it and spending the time each and most every day rather than picking the 'right' program.

enemyofthestate

• Banned
Fitness
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 11:37:23 pm »

You would have to bring up fitness.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!

:-)

Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Mac the Knife

• TAN$TAAFL
Fitness
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 12:19:03 am »

You would have to bring up fitness.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!

:-)
It comes in useful if you ever have to run from the JBT's.  :ph34r:  

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable."~H.L. Mencken

Mac the Knife

• TAN$TAAFL
Fitness
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 12:21:42 am »

Really, Mac. Darned impressive.
Thank you. High praise indeed from the Third Assistant Demi-Goddess of Freedom. :D  

Misfit

Fitness
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 10:13:58 am »

This does cross my mind often...I figure I'm going to be running around in the mountains eventually and I need to get my stamina back up to what it used to be. I'm a former bodybuilder and what I've found is that the muscle mass and strength seems to hang around longer than the cardiovascular fitness. I'm still quite strong (for a girl  :rolleyes: ), which is good for slinging my Garand around. Also, good for being a human pack mule and moving your residence frequently (4 times this past year).

I been meaning to get back into the working out routine, although I now would prefer hard labor over trendy fitness clubs to do that. When I moved here and found out there was a fitness room where I live I figured I could get in there a few times a week...the first time I went in to work out I found half the equipment is broken...and there wasn't much to begin with. Basically, all that's left is the bench press and leg curl on a universal set and a recumbant bike. When I was out in the desert I was out working often...walking alot, digging ditches, etc.  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up