The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Market Loves Linux (That's Why It's Thriving)  (Read 17462 times)

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Re: The Market Loves Linux (That's Why It's Thriving)
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2008, 11:02:55 pm »

ML, I'd be willing to put together a system, install Linux on it, and get it set up and ready to go with Kompozer and whatnot, to give you essentially a plug-and-play experience. It might end up being cheaper than Dell, because All you need is the tower, not the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and Ubuntu doesn't need high-end hardware to run well. If You're interested, PM me and I'll work out a quote. (that offer goes for anyone here on the boards. :) )

Well, that sounds pretty good, depending on the logistics.

The new box (tower) I have is an E Machine, 2.53 GHz, 325 Intel Celeron D Processor, 512 MB RAM and a 40 GB hard drive. Lots of other names and numbers on the thing... ask if I missed something. Don't need any monitors, keyboards or mice... especially not any kind of mice!! I use a Logistics trackball and wouldn't trade it for much of anything.

The old box is a Compac Presario, AMD Athlon 1.67 GHz, 224 MB Ram and I don't remember the size of the hard drive, but it's pretty full. <G>  There are signs that the hard drive MAY be trying to crap out, which is why I got the other box. But I have not been able to install the Dreamweaver on it, so have never used it.  So, I sit with one foot on the dock and one on a ship that may set sail any minute.

ML,  that "old" box is more than double the fastest machine I have running here at the moment,  which is this 500 MHz (that's 0.5 GHz!) Celeron,  256MB ram (but video steals some of that so I have in effect about 192M) and a 6G (!) HD in here.  And this is what I've been using as a workstation for the past year and a half and then some.

I did just (past couple of days) acquire another machine that's about double the speed and RAM w/ 20G in it,  and I haven't yet started to work that one over but it's only a matter of time.

I don't have $500., and probably won't for a while. I have a publisher for my book now, but maybe a year's worth of editing and rewrites before I can send it off... though I'm going to try to finish it this winter. <G>

So, what can we use for barter? Need a pair of handmade leather moccasins? A leather and brocade vest? Both? You going to come help me eat this antelope?  :rolleyes:

Mocs sound good to me!  :-)  I used to wear 'em all the time.  Now I have things resembling such but though they're a fairly well-known brand name they've gone and lined the damn things with some kinda artificial "stuff" that makes them too darn hot to wear most of the time,  and instead of the laces part going around the back like my old ones did they have 'em going to a stupid knot on either side!  That way you _can't_ get 'em tight.  I've been giving serious thought to taking them apart one of these days...   :-)

I ain't logging in here anywhere near as often as I used to,  but if you seriously want to get going with this and want any help with an install you know where to get a hold of me otherwise anyhow,  as do several other folks on here.  Feel free to drop me a line and we can kick it around some,  if you want.

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2008, 06:47:59 am »

Mocs sound good to me!  :-)  I used to wear 'em all the time.  Now I have things resembling such but though they're a fairly well-known brand name they've gone and lined the damn things with some kinda artificial "stuff" that makes them too darn hot to wear most of the time,  and instead of the laces part going around the back like my old ones did they have 'em going to a stupid knot on either side!  That way you _can't_ get 'em tight.  I've been giving serious thought to taking them apart one of these days...   :-)

Those would probably be nice enough for really cold weather, but you need some for everyday. And I'll bet the ties could be redone without too much trouble. I can make you a pair of unlined mocs easily. If you wanted to send me your old ones, I could fix them and use them to size a new pair. What would it be worth to you? :)

Myrkul has made me a deal to install the linux stuff on the hard drive, so I think that's taken care of. What I will need is to find someone to come make sure it all works and network these two boxes. Then I'll be cooking with gas!!

I've not yet removed the hard drive to send to Myrkul because I can't figure out how to save some of the stuff on it to disk. Each time I try it, I get a message box saying it is not allowed. I don't remember just what it says... need to try again and write it down. I gave up a few months ago. Hate to just lose that stuff, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just have to make up my mind and rip the thing out to get it into the mail.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2008, 12:11:13 am »

Those would probably be nice enough for really cold weather, but you need some for everyday.

Yeah,  those times I wore 'em I wore 'em *every* day,  all over the darn place,  when I was in my traveling days.  The stiches right behind the heel used to wear through,  so I also carried a spool of that "button & carpet thread" to fix that little problem with.  These were the ones that the boy scouts used to sell as a kit...

These ones I have now are just too darn warm to wear most of the time.

And I'll bet the ties could be redone without too much trouble.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do it without having to un-do that bit at the rear and sew it back again.  Though I may just end up doing that if I get aggravated enough at how loose these are.

I can make you a pair of unlined mocs easily. If you wanted to send me your old ones, I could fix them and use them to size a new pair. What would it be worth to you? :)

Good question.  Maybe we ought to be kicking this around in email.

Myrkul has made me a deal to install the linux stuff on the hard drive, so I think that's taken care of.

I was thinking about that and the part that occures to me that might get a little tricky is setting things up to make sure all of the rest of your hardware is working okay.  There are always some installation-specific bits that the install handles that sometimes get to be more of a PITA to deal with later.  Sometimes.

What I will need is to find someone to come make sure it all works and network these two boxes. Then I'll be cooking with gas!!

Yeah.  Networking just two boxes isn't hard.  If you have a hub you just plug 'em both in,  or if you don't and you only want to connect those two boxes you need what's called a "crossover cable" to do it with,  it's just wired slightly differently.  The fiddly bits with the software is the other part.  It depends on what you want to share,  a bunch of stuff on both boxes going both ways gets the most complicated.

I've not yet removed the hard drive to send to Myrkul because I can't figure out how to save some of the stuff on it to disk. Each time I try it, I get a message box saying it is not allowed. I don't remember just what it says... need to try again and write it down. I gave up a few months ago. Hate to just lose that stuff, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just have to make up my mind and rip the thing out to get it into the mail.

Are you running XP there?  What kind of stuff are you trying to save?  I don't know much about XP,  but my "recent acquisition" is a laptop that runs it and I think that rather than just nuking it I'm going to try for a dual-boot setup so I can maybe learn a bit about it.  It's my understanding that there's some kind of administrative account you need to get into to do some stuff on it.

Maybe you could take the hard drive out of it and temporarily hook it up in the other machine?  Then it'd be just a matter of copying files from one hard drive to the other,  which should be easy enough,  I'd think.

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up