The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft to sell 'Office' as subscription basis- $70 annual fee mid-July08  (Read 8269 times)

byron mc

The software bundle, which also includes Microsoft's Live OneCare computer security software, will be sold at nearly 700 Circuit City stores for $70 per year. The Microsoft Equipt bundle  includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote, plus OneCare and a handful of existing free Windows Live applications.

Under the new subscription model, upgrading to a new version is included in the annual cost.
Gartner analyst Michael Silver. "I think this is Microsoft's foray at getting people used to paying an annual fee," Silver said.
Microsoft Equipt is $69.99 (U.S.) estimated retail price = for three licenses + support for twelve months of usage

While rivals such as Google Inc. have built Web-based word processors and other programs that compete with Microsoft Office, Microsoft has kept its software sequestered on hard drives, with the exception of its bare-bones document-sharing Web site, Office Live Workspace.

The move may also set the stage for Microsoft to offer its consumer-oriented programs as "services" over the Web, by acclimating people now to the new pricing model such a shift could require.

Microsoft to sell Office, OneCare for $70 a year
Jul 2, 2008
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080702/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_office_subscription;_ylt=Aglfs.0Rrm.XlMNYRXVQuI5Y.3QA

Microsoft Launches Consumer Subscription Offering That Combines Microsoft Office and Windows Live OneCare
July 2, 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/jul08/07-02EquiptPR.mspx?rss_fdn=Press%20Releases

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
https://home.microsoftequipt.com/site/html/default.aspx#

Sure it cuts down on piracy for activation purposes you'll be required to pay your subscription fee and I have a hard time thinking a anonymous money order sent to Redmond, WA is gonna cut it. It's gonna be debit and credit cards over the Internet for payment...
It just costs too much to go with USB keys for authentication to combat privacy and the software would still require activation via Internet...

I think we'll see Microsoft Office 2003 and Office 2007 living for a long time for consumers. Business customers are a different story.

This whole new pricing scheme also ties in if you think about it with consumer smartphones. If someone has Windows Mobile it has MS Word & Excel mobile versions. Let's see if this subscription plan covers licenses for your home PC, smartphone, and your kid's PC computer in the next few years...

l

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org

I told folks a long time ago that the day would come when the only thing a new PC will be able to do by itself will be connect to the net to run subscription based software....
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

vonuvan

I told folks a long time ago that the day would come when the only thing a new PC will be able to do by itself will be connect to the net to run subscription based software....

Yet another reason to cure my computer of it's Gatesitis, with a Linux inoculation.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator

The trusted computing initiative will say otherwise.....and a zillion ISP's who stand to be let off the hook for anything and everything  and gain a lot more customers as prices rise will agree.......
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

vonuvan

The trusted computing initiative will say otherwise.....and a zillion ISP's who stand to be let off the hook for anything and everything  and gain a lot more customers as prices rise will agree.......

Please treat me as the cyberignorant I am and cure the cognitive dissonance I'm getting here:-)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator

That's something that you really might want to go check out for yourself because it's scope is so broad as to make a simple description impossible........

But i'll say this.....it's the integration of hardware, software, and networking into a single controlled environment......

vonuvan

That's something that you really might want to go check out for yourself because it's scope is so broad as to make a simple description impossible........

But i'll say this.....it's the integration of hardware, software, and networking into a single controlled environment......

Kind of like buying DirecTV or DishNetwork?
I received an update from Microsoft yesterday, that turned out to be a reissue of Vista, something that would require me to sit for hours, and cannot do with a laptop on wifi.
Linux is becoming prettier all the time.
I Googled "trusted computing initiative" and didn't find much that wasn't beyond my cybercomprehension. I need cyberworld for dummies:-)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 04:11:22 pm by vonu »

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator

Open Office
Why  Open Office

Ubuntu kicks butt. The latest version is extremely simple to install and use. You can even burn it to a cdrom and boot from that to see if it is for you.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

crepemyrtle357

Knowing Microsoft you will probably have a subscription for each machine you own.

Open Office from Sourceforge is much better than Microsoft Word.

My upstairs machine has windows 98 and Wordperfect, I made so many mistakes when I first started to use computers, I finally got everything figured out and dang if they didn't discontinue it.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." Einstein

byron mc

subscription basis- $70 annual fee mid-July08
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 11:34:44 am »

Knowing Microsoft you will probably have a subscription for each machine you own.

Microsoft Equipt is $69.99 (U.S.) estimated retail price = for three licenses + support for twelve months of usage
Your subscription covers 3 licenses which means 3 physical machines. Of course each machine will have it's own number in additional to the license number for microsoft's purposes.
l

crepemyrtle357

Your subscription covers 3 licenses which means 3 physical machines. Of course each machine will have it's own number in additional to the license number for microsoft's purposes

Well that's better than what they do with the xp operating system.

Even so I'll stick to open-office.

vonuvan

Open Office
Why  Open Office

Ubuntu kicks butt. The latest version is extremely simple to install and use. You can even burn it to a cdrom and boot from that to see if it is for you.

Is said cdrom like the one that comes with the paperback doorstop?

crepemyrtle357

Well that certainly went over my head?

vonuvan

Well that certainly went over my head?

There's a big paperback book on Ubuntu which contains a rom disc of all the code.
I was just curious if the contents of that disc would be the same as the one that was downloaded.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator

I was just curious if the contents of that disc would be the same as the one that was downloaded.

It was probably as same as the dowload version at the time that the book was published.....but it might not be the same as the download version today......

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up