The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Interface has been disabled"  (Read 5645 times)

freewoman

"The Interface has been disabled"
« on: June 13, 2008, 10:48:40 am »

Early Thursday morning, my workplace had an electrical outage.  When I got to work, not only did I find out about the power being out, but I had the following message on my computer:  "The system has detected a conflict for IP address ___.__.__.__ with the system having hardware address __:__:__:__:__:__.  The interface has been disabled."  Obviously the computer (a crappy Compaq with--God help me--Windows ME on it) cut off my connection to the DSL line.  Is there any way I can get this back without calling a pro in to help?  We have Verizon DSL, if that makes any difference.  Thanks for any help y'all can provide;  this is way over my head, tech-wise.

Lenny

Re: "The Interface has been disabled"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 11:11:02 am »

A reboot is likely to do it. The DSL router gives each computer an address, and the error message means that it gave your computer's address to someone else. Rebooting should cause it to get a new address, and all should be well.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:38:34 am by Lenny »

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 06:43:38 pm »

The device has been modified.
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

freewoman

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 01:38:56 pm »

I rebooted several times, with no results.  Any other ideas?

lee n. field

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 06:56:19 pm »

Reboot.  It should pick up a different address from the DHCP server.

Or, start, run, "cmd", type "ipconfig /release"press enter, type "ipconfig /renew" press enter.
"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD! Why would you have the day of the LORD? It is darkness, and not light,"  Amos 5:18

Lenny

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 08:14:29 pm »

It sometimes helps to reboot the router, too. It will forget the addresses it gave out and start over.

Iconoclast

• Question Authority!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 03:32:09 pm »

You all are assuming that her office network is setup using DHCP. It's possible that the network admins are using static IPs, in which case rebooting until the cows come home will do no good. If this is the case and someone hijacked your IP Address, you have two options... find the rogue system and remove it from the network (turn it off... or my favorite is to cut the cat5 cable) or change your workstation's IP address yourself... and hope that you choose an address that is not in use by another system.  If you choose this route, choose a higher number in your subnet range (the last octet and usually between 1 and 254, assuming a flat class-C internal network) and reboot the system. You can keep doing this until you find an unused IP address.  I've never used ME, but I think the IP config utility is something like Device Manger --> network --> <interface> --> IP configuration (If someone knows ME, maybe they can help out here)  This is also one way to see if you have a static IP address or are setup to use DHCP.  If you take this route, you will have to notify Tech Support sometime soon and have them officially assign you a new IP address and/or slap the wrists of the person who hijacked your IP address.  Good luck!
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" --George Taylor, Planet of the Apes

You don't know what you don't know.

freewoman

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 04:28:32 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all!  I'll give them a try tomorrow.

khagler

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:24:05 pm »

The next time you see the conflict message, you should write down the "hardware address" part. Your IT guys should be able to identify the offending system from that.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:11:50 am »

Yeah.....that'll be the MAC address of the offending network card......and it's hardcoded into the card.....
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

freewoman

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 05:17:39 am »

I wrote down the hardware address already, so I'm set to go.  Unfortunately my computer is no longer supported by tech support; I'll have to hire someone to fix it!  My boss keeps saying I'm getting another computer soon.  Which would be good, except that I've switched computers 3 times already.  Transferring files is a PITA. 

lee n. field

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 07:06:30 am »

Unfortunately my computer is no longer supported by tech support; I'll have to hire someone to fix it!

Bullshit.  It's a networking issue.  This should be relatively easy to fix.

On you desktop, right click Network Neighborhood (or whatever it's called in ME).  Click properties.  Click TCP/IP (whichever one is bound to a lan adapter, not dialup).  click properties.  Look at the address.  If it is set static, not automatic, change the last number to something else, within the range of 2 to 254.  Click OK.  ME will want you to reboot.  Keep doing this until you get an address that is unique on your network.

I'm surprised, BTW, that you have an ME machine.  ME was never anything but a home user OS, and a particularly loathed one at that.  It's shortcomings were many, and it's sole advantage over Win98 was having USB storage drivers.  A Presario 5000 by chance?

"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD! Why would you have the day of the LORD? It is darkness, and not light,"  Amos 5:18

Iconoclast

• Question Authority!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 09:42:50 am »

Bullshit.  It's a networking issue.  This should be relatively easy to fix.

What he said!  ^_^

This appears to be a networking issue, not a hardware issue with the computer, so the IT guys should take a look.  Worst case is that your network card is just flakey.  They should be able to tell you if this is the case.  If it is, go out and buy a $10 netgear network card (Staples, Best Buy, NewEgg, etc.) and install it in the system. Maybe you'll have to load the drivers for the card... then configure it for the network.... a lot cheaper than paying someone else to do it.  If you are working for the man, why would YOU have to pay for their computer to be repaired?  Or did I misunderstand?  If you have any say in the matter, why not scrap ME and load Linux (Ubuntu/Kubuntu?)  You could always install WINE and then install your MS Office Apps, for work compliance.

Yeah.....that'll be the MAC address of the offending network card......and it's hardcoded into the card.....

Yep, this is supposed to be a unique, world-wide number, but some OSs let you alias that number.... I know that Kubuntu and FreeBSD allow this because I currently alias the MAC address on all my systems, to evade analysis and for plausible deniability in case of investigation. :ph34r:   Kind of cool, if you think about it.
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" --George Taylor, Planet of the Apes

You don't know what you don't know.

freewoman

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 05:13:24 am »

I have no say in the matter.  This computer was someone else's; when part of my job changed, I had to trade my upgraded Dell for her old Compaq preloaded with Windows ME.  Our corporate offices only service the Dell products that we purchase through them; long story.  I'm not very computer-savvy, though I'm learning; since my divorce I've had to figure things out for myself!  My boss has to clear me to call the local computer repair people, and she's been too busy.  Would prefer to work for myself but that's not happening at this point.  So I gotta do what I gotta do.  Thanks again for all the suggestions; I should have time today to print them off and give them a try.

freewoman

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

I did try some of the suggestions provided, but I didn't have time to go through the whole sequence of numbers (2 to 254!) that were recommended.  However, on Friday morning, the corporate offices were doing some sort of maintenance.  Evidently they fixed the issue, because I'm now able to get onto our DSL service.  So I guess it was a network problem after all.  Thanks for the suggestions, though.  Because my computer is no longer supported by the Help Desk (or Helpless Desk, as we refer to it), I wouldn't have been able to request assistance from our corporate offices.  Sometimes things turn out better than expected!

BTW, when I mentioned that "I would have to hire someone", the company would pay for it, not me.  I just have to make the calls and arrange for the repairperson to show up.  Which is sometimes easier said than done!
Pages: [1]   Go Up