The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avoiding Jet Lag !!!  (Read 4619 times)

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
Avoiding Jet Lag !!!
« on: May 23, 2008, 02:06:02 pm »

Skip the pretzels: starving may fend off jet lag
By Julie Steenhuysen - Thu May 22, 12:57 PM

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Starving yourself before a long flight may help prevent jet lag, U.S. researchers said on Thursday.

Normally, the body's natural circadian clock in the brain dictates when to wake, eat and sleep, all in response to light. But it seems a second clock takes over when food is scarce, and manipulating this clock might help travelers adjust to new time zones, they said.

"A period of fasting with no food at all for about 16 hours is enough to engage this new clock," said Dr. Clifford Saper of Harvard Medical School, whose study appears in the journal Science.

He said a person from the United States traveling to Japan must adjust to a 11-hour time change.

"Because the body's clock can only shift a small amount each day, it takes the average person about a week to adjust to the new time zone. And, by then, it's often time to come home," Saper said in a statement.

Saper and colleagues knew that when food is scarce, animals are able to override their normal biological clock to improve their chances of finding food.

Studies have shown that mice fed only during the time when they normally sleep shift their body clocks to this new schedule. "They would be awake and alert and ready to go an hour or two before a meal was due to appear to have maximal chance of getting the food," Saper said in a telephone interview.

"This is built into the brain. The problem is, nobody knew how it worked," he said.

He and colleagues set out to find this mechanism. They used a group of mice that had been genetically engineered to lack a master gene called BMAL1 that regulates the body's clock. They put this gene into the shell of a hollowed-out virus that acted as a vector to deliver the gene only to brain cells they were interested in studying.

When they put it into a small region of the hypothalamus known as the suprachiasmatic nucleus, which serves as the body's primary clock, the mice adjusted to a light-based schedule for waking and sleeping, but not eating.

"If you don't wake them up they will starve to death," Saper said.

However, when they restored the gene only in a section of the hypothalamus called the dorsomedial nucleus, which helps organize waking and feeding schedules, the mice adjusted to the eating schedule, but not daylight.

Saper said when food is scarce, this second clock can override the body's primary clock. He said these same clock genes are known to be in all mammals, including humans.

While skipping meals ahead of a long flight or night shift has not been proven to work in humans, it may be worth a try.

"I'm certainly going to do it the next time I go to Japan," he said.

http://health.yahoo.com/news/reuters/brain_clock_dc.html
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

Bedwere

Re: Avoiding Jet Lag !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 02:23:15 pm »

Activism Tactics?  :huh:

vargthewanderer

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:52:04 pm »

I'll test this in a few days and let you all know how it works! ^_^
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

-Patrick Henry-

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:14:32 pm »

I'll test this in a few days and let you all know how it works! ^_^

Ok Dr. Yarg.....

Your results ? :huh:
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

dogsledder54

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:02:02 pm »

The best way to avoid jet lag is to avoid jets...

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 11:28:30 pm »

Hey......I got it....

Maybe they need to stop serving drinks and meals......for your own good.....and maybe they need another new agency to make sure that the airlines are doing what's best for the people........or pay some heavy fines.....and maybe they need to jack up airfares to pay for this new agency...........

I'll bet they could save a bundle on puke bags too.......and maybe fuel too......because flyers wouldn't be as full of shit as I am right now.............  :laugh:

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Rick N

• Anger is a Gift
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 04:40:49 pm »

The best way to avoid jet lag is to avoid jets...

This. I'd have no problem with never having to fly again. If they built a highway across the Pacific Ocean, I'd drive it, I don't care if it means putting two years' worth of miles on my car.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Japanese Navy)

My public PGP key
Pages: [1]   Go Up