The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Washington state house bill- RFID skim of ID is felony  (Read 4697 times)

byron mc

Washington state house bill- RFID skim of ID is felony
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:51:12 am »

feb.17 2008

http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/articleview/3928/1/1/

the problem is not the id card skim but the cellphone rfid skim.
with cellphones to become our id from NFC and contactless payments this info will be more valuable in 10 years.
l

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Re: Washington state house bill- RFID skim of ID is felony
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:30:29 am »

The revised bill would make it a Class C felony to intentionally read the data encoded to an RFID tag in possession of a person without that individual's knowledge and consent, for the purpose of fraud, identity theft or some other illegal or unapproved purposeā€”a process known as "skimming." With this bill, skimming refers to capturing personal data about a tag's holder, such as the details on a loyalty card, driver's license or other identity card. It does not refer to capturing data from EPC RFID tags attached to products that do not hold the consumer's data. Class C felony in Washington State has a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. If the bill is signed into law, it would be the first legislation on the state level to make skimming a felony, says Morris.

Oh, I sure hope it passes.  Because of course once skimming is a felony, NO criminal would ever dare do it, right? I mean, after all, if they did, they'd be ... er, criminals ...

Wait, I think I need to think this out again ...
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:03:26 am »

Hey. Once this passes, we'll all be safe. Criminals will be forbidden to attack us with guns because of the "no guns allowed" signs, and they won't be able to steal the IDs we're required to show everywhere because of this law. Oh, thank you, nanny gummint, for protecting us.

Not.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Elias Alias

• Administrator
  • TMM
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 11:30:36 am »

A couple of weeks ago, around the end of January 2008, Katherine Albrecht was the guest on local (Bozeman, MT) talk-radio show with show-host Julie Langaker. I got to call in and thank Katherine personally for her work and for her appearance on Aaron Russo's America: Freedom To Fascism.  She did a great show on KMMS that afternoon, and her appearance had an impact on several thousand listeners.

I had bought her book, Spychips, last year immediately after seeing her segment in Russo's film. Anyone wanting to learn more about the RFID phenomenon may begin at Katherine's website - http://www.spychips.com/

Last year, nine members in The Jefferson River Coalition (TJRC, Montana) trekked to Helena to speak against RFID/National ID cards and we had a great success as Montana's legislature overwhelmingly passed legislation against the Real ID Act of 2005. The Real ID Act calls for technology such as RFID to be on all states' drivers' licenses. That sort of tyranny is not going to fly in Montana, as our Democrat Governor, Brian Schweitzer is now leading a movement of state Governors to oppose the Real ID Act.

Montana Governor Foments Real ID Rebellion
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/01/montana-governo.html

Another note - if Washington's state government thinks their law will stop criminals from skimming RFID chips on their citizens' licenses, they're in for a rude awakening, because today's Federal, state, and local governments, as well as law enforcement offices,  are chock full of criminals who can readily peek into any citizen's private life via RFID-implanted drivers' licenses. The RFID readers are available already online, as one of our TJRC members noted to the Montana legislature last year. Prices vary, but five hundred bucks can buy a portable RFID reader now.

And to think.... all of this crap is coming our way because of the government's "conspiracy theory" about what hit this nation on 9/11/2001. Hence my interest in exposing the vast falseness in the myth of this so-called "War on Terror".

Salute!
Elias

"Heirs to self-knowledge shed gently their fears..."

byron mc

RFID
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:17:55 pm »

Katherine Albrecht's book is mentioned in my RFID 101 post for the Intro thread to the ID Issues forum:

http://thementalmilitia.com/forums/index.php?topic=16283.msg212563#msg212563
l

Elias Alias

• Administrator
  • TMM
Re: RFID
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 08:14:53 pm »

Katherine Albrecht's book is mentioned in my RFID 101 post for the Intro thread to the ID Issues forum:

http://thementalmilitia.com/forums/index.php?topic=16283.msg212563#msg212563

Ah, yes - and so you did. That is a good thread too. Thanks mucho.

Salute!
Elias
"Heirs to self-knowledge shed gently their fears..."

byron mc

consumer's data vs unique identification number (UIN)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 09:37:14 pm »

It does not refer to capturing data from EPC RFID tags attached to products that do not hold the consumer's data.
Washington State House Gives Nod to Privacy Bill
Feb. 15, 2008
http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/articleview/3928/1/1/

The major issue is not a Passport or RealID card but the unique identifier number in your next cellphone that can be legally skimmed by anyone (and sold to anyone...data brokers....)
this refers to my comment on the original posting:

the problem is not the id card skim but the cellphone rfid skim.
with cellphones to become our id from NFC and contactless payments this info will be more valuable in 10 years.

Will we start to see RFID unique identification numbers (UIN) start to be considered personal information?
Specifically from a cellphone's RFID chip

The European Union regulator said in January that IP addresses are personal data.
http://thementalmilitia.com/forums/index.php?topic=16345.0
Will UINs in your cellphone be considered that in another 5 years as cellphones with NFC contactless RFID chips proliferate around the world?
Will Choicepoint, Axciom, Intelius all start compiling these UIN's and will they end up on credit reports to "protect" you against bank fraud?
Instead of "credit card fraud" will there be contactless (Near Field Communication) "NFC fraud" from someone skimming your UIN number from your cellphone and them cloning it onto another phone to use to make a purchase? Will there be legislation to protect consumers from this?
Will this UIN become a key identifier like your social security number with financial institutions?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:49:35 pm by byron m »
l

byron mc

l
Pages: [1]   Go Up