The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless USB adapters  (Read 2254 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Wireless USB adapters
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:07:21 pm »

For several years now, I've used a Linux laptop as my only computer. A recent & ongoing project requires me to use W*******s, so I've dragged out and set up my old desktop (dual boot Win 2000 and Mandriva) machine.

I dislike putting the W********s machine online for security reasons. But I'll soon be required to have it online during the hours I'm working on that project. At the moment, I just plug in a network cable when I need the Win machine online, then unplug the cable when I don't. But I'd like to move the computer to a location where wires won't reach.

I have a router and a wireless network, thanks to the Linux Fairy. Just don't yet have a wireless adapter for the desktop machine.

What do you Chivalrous Tech Geeks think of wireless USB adapters? They seem like a much cheaper, easier option than internal wireless cards & ideal for my quick-connect/quick-disconnect purposes. But do they work well? Do they have drawbacks I need to know about?

Thanks for the help!

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

lee n. field

Re: Wireless USB adapters
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 04:48:19 pm »

What do you Chivalrous Tech Geeks think of wireless USB adapters?

They work OK.

At work we've sold a bunch of the Linksys USB adapters, with no problem.  (Linksys Wireless routers, not recommended -- they tend to die.)

Nothing's crossed my path yet that I've been able to get to work with Linux, though.
"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD! Why would you have the day of the LORD? It is darkness, and not light,"  Amos 5:18

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 06:15:33 pm »

Thanks, lee n. field!

For once it's nice not to have to ask, "Will it work with Linux?" -- though it would be good to have a backup adapter for the Linux machine.

Embarrassingly, the adapter that works quite nicely on my Linux laptop is ... er, Microsoft brand.  :rolleyes:
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Dare2BFree

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:36:43 pm »

I use NetGear USB wireless network adapters on my PCs at home - both Windows and Linux with no problems.  I have had no issues at all since I've been using them (about 4 years now)
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:07:08 pm »

I use NetGear USB wireless network adapters on my PCs at home - both Windows and Linux with no problems.  I have had no issues at all since I've been using them (about 4 years now)

Excellent and thanks, Dare. That's good to know. I've used the NetGear brand in the past with good results, but not their USB adapters. There are so many choices.

Pages: [1]   Go Up