The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What the Fluff ....  (Read 1970 times)

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
What the Fluff ....
« on: December 20, 2007, 04:16:47 pm »

am I doing wrong ?

Somehow I have erased the setting in my registry for the sound card on my machine.
I don't do much with it BUT it is pissing me off that I can't figure out how to get it to stay on my "profile".

Background:
Win XP sp 2  on an antique etower 633 ids
I am also using Zone Alarm Pro and WinPatrol Plus [actively] with AVG Free, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and a couple others on manual.

Now:
IF I go to the Hardware Manager and uninstall my sound card from my profile and then restart .... Bingo my sound card shows up and I can access my volume control applet.
I turn my machine off every night and in the morning [or if I restart again] the *%#)!%#& thing is gone again ....  "fume"

When I go to the Control Panel and attempt to change the default audio device there is no other option than 'Modem #1 playback'.

After I do the uninstall and restart there is my sound card as an option.  Click to change and bingo It works again until I turn the machine off.
Does anybody know which key I need to modify in the registry and .... I WILL need step by step assistance geared for a cave dweller .... ahem.

Anybody got the time to help me with this ?
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Myrkul

Re: What the Fluff ....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 04:24:01 pm »

Actually... this sounds like a driver issue.

Have you tried downloading an updated driver from the web?

If that doesn't work, you may have a bad sound card... Unless you KNOW you were screwing around in the registry, in which case, just revert the system to a restore point prior to when you went mucking about in there, and it should fix it.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

da gooch

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 04:52:36 pm »

Actually... this sounds like a driver issue.

Have you tried downloading an updated driver from the web?

The card is an OEM card from Intel installed by eMachines in '97.
Intel doesn't support it any longer nor does eMachines.
The current driver is one from M$ and works fine until I turn the machine off.
In support of the consume, consume, 'damn the future' society Intel wants me to buy a NEWER machine and sound card.

If that doesn't work, you may have a bad sound card... Unless you KNOW you were screwing around in the registry, in which case, just revert the system to a restore point prior to when you went mucking about in there, and it should fix it.

BTW ....
I was actually removing things but that was several months ago.  Like I said earlier I don't use my sound card very often.
[twice a year whether I need it or not ...]
I keep my machine from using too much space by restricting it's amount of space available for restore points.
I probably removed the registry key that installs the sound card or changed it to only allow my new modem when I had that replaced three months ago.

The sound card works fine IF I uninstall it and restart my machine. [which finds a "new" sound card and installs it for me. Love that PnP]
Then it stays on the machine until I restart the OS.
Then It's gone.  Until I go through the whole rig-a-ma-role again.
I'm looking for a method to permanently  reinstall the sound card.
I'm pretty sure I need to replace a registry key I have modified or removed.

The simple stuff I can do and have done ....

III

psysmic

• Psysmic Systems
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 08:55:49 am »

Possibly you are installing .dll's with the same name.  Or M$ is helping you out by not letting that new and different file replace the one in the OS's driver cache.

Maybe try creating a new hardware profile after you have successfully got "plug-n-pray" to go your way.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_hardware_profile_create.mspx?mfr=true

I've got boxes of old hardware.  If you get in a real bind, I'll mail you a sound card.

Incidentally, Linux has pretty good track record of supporting legacy hardware.   You could try an Ubuntu live cd to see if it works with your sound card prior to installation.  In my estimation Ubuntu is one of the most end-user friendly Linux distributions to date.

Without touching your machine, I almost guarantee you're suffering from a M$ undocumented feature.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 09:04:32 am by psysmic »

da gooch

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 06:07:48 pm »

Possibly you are installing .dll's with the same name.  Or M$ is helping you out by not letting that new and different file replace the one in the OS's driver cache.

Maybe try creating a new hardware profile after you have successfully got "plug-n-pray" to go your way.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_hardware_profile_create.mspx?mfr=true

I've got boxes of old hardware.  If you get in a real bind, I'll mail you a sound card.

Incidentally, Linux has pretty good track record of supporting legacy hardware.   You could try an Ubuntu live cd to see if it works with your sound card prior to installation.  In my estimation Ubuntu is one of the most end-user friendly Linux distributions to date.

Without touching your machine, I almost guarantee you're suffering from a M$ undocumented feature.

Or that nearly always fatal [to OSes] "operator error" .... [my guess in this instance ...]

I have been just uninstalling the software. Should I actually uninstall the card itself ? If I remove the card [physically] and restart then shut down and re-install the card would my PnP rewrite the necessary registry key ?

The OEM card is an Intel 82801 AA AC'97 and it was working fine until I deleted the sndvol32.exe link that I had moved to my desktop instead of making a shortcut and using it ....
I have reinstalled the sndvol32.exe into the system32 file and the system file but it still doesn't recognize the sound card unless I uninstall the sound card and restart. grrrr

The machine is an eMachines eTower 633 ids and it works really well in spite of my help.
I am considering cruising the pawn shops after the big commercial orgasm [12-25-07] .
I will be looking for a newer box with more of everything. More memory, more ram, a faster processor, etc, etc and all at pawn shop prices. [SOMETIMES a very good deal ....]

IF you have a faster better (?) sound card I will find something to trade with ....

III

psysmic

• Psysmic Systems
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 10:52:16 pm »

XP Pro or Home?

Computers are strange and wonderful, it wouldn't hurt to try reinstalling the hardware physically.
If you are really convinced that the problem is tied to the current user registry hive, then create a new user, install the hardware, bounce(i meant restart) the box, logon as the new user and see if the problem persist.  For kicks and giggles, disable your security softwares during this test.  You seem to have some good security software, but it could be a case of combinations.
If you aren't logging on as the local administrator (you better not be  :laugh: ), I would try using that account as well.

If you think you may have botched up win sys files, you can extract original files from the CD with something like 7-zip.  If you are running a service pack, then you will need to extract the .cab files from those .msi installers as well.  Then you can use something like windiff to compare the system directories.  There will be a multiplicity of disparities depending on how and what you've installed.  With some practice, you'll be able to sort through the normally messed up and new and improved messed up .dll's and executables.

It is possible to remove all sound capabilities from an XP machine, but since things like the media player are embedded in internet exploder, it's similar to slamming your dink in a door repeatedly.

Normally, I wouldn't recommend this, but you could reinstall the operating system right on top of itself.  Boot from your CD, DO NOT format, and install to the same win directory as your existing installation.  BTW, this is not the repair option.  You will have to re-patch the OS, and possibly have to reinstall some software.  Typically, I would mount the offending installation in other machine and copy the entire drive bit by bit before attempting this method (including hidden data).  And, it's worth mentioning, a complete wipe of the drive and reinstall of the OS is just a little more effort and much cleaner. 

Educational and a great computer forensic tool box, check out Helix.  It's been a good while since I looked, but a Bart's PE used to have some drive recovery tools( like disk to disk copy).

Do you have a second computer?

Anything mission critical on the machine?  Great rule - back it up before you jack it up.  External hard drives are getting cheaper.  Just remember, hard drives have a 100% fail rate.  It's not a question of if.  Secret squirrel stuff, good time to make multiple copies and encrypt.

Let me start pilfering through my stuff.  Trade isn't necessary.  Call it a late Christmas present. 
While I'm looking, anything else on your wish-list?  I was thinking of selling in bulk, but if it helps out someone, that's worth more to me than selling it to someone who probably doesn't need it.  My wife will probably thank you since the computer graveyard/ lab/ office/ workbench is about hip deep in parts and pieces. 

Tell you how bad it is, found 2 $500 hard drives in there last weekend, wonder what I did with that SCSI controller? I think someone gave them to me as payment since I hardly ever charge folks.

Edit:  Since I didn't get so much as a sniff on the Ubuntu name drop, I thought I should mention that I am a MCSE (normally I don't tell people, and yes it's on current platforms and not from 1995) and shortly, former M$ partner.  I work in a M$ shop.  Your computer shipped from the factory with a Celeron and Win ME (Mistake Edition).  These two should have convinced you :)  Oh, you seem like a nice guy, but if you buy an emachine again, someone should have an intervention.  But I have faith that you too will see the light of open source.  Sorry for the excitement, but I'm a recent convert and have been kicking myself for not making the switch sooner.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:17:17 pm by psysmic »

psysmic

• Psysmic Systems
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 11:22:18 pm »

...one more thing, is there an option in your BIOS for plug-n-pray OS?
....or ESCD?..forgot the acronym, but force a hardware re-enumeration?

Myrkul

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 12:18:34 am »

I'd like to second this:

Oh, you seem like a nice guy, but if you buy an emachine again, someone should have an intervention.  But I have faith that you too will see the light of open source.  Sorry for the excitement, but I'm a recent convert and have been kicking myself for not making the switch sooner.

I bought an eMachine once... ONCE.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

da gooch

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 10:14:08 am »

XP Pro or Home?
<snip> <snip>

Let me start pilfering through my stuff.  Trade isn't necessary.  Call it a late Christmas present. 
While I'm looking, anything else on your wish-list?  I was thinking of selling in bulk, but if it helps out someone, that's worth more to me than selling it to someone who probably doesn't need it.  My wife will probably thank you since the computer graveyard/ lab/ office/ workbench is about hip deep in parts and pieces. 

<snip>

Edit:  Since I didn't get so much as a sniff on the Ubuntu name drop, I thought I should mention that I am a MCSE (normally I don't tell people, and yes it's on current platforms and not from 1995) and shortly, former M$ partner.  I work in a M$ shop.  Your computer shipped from the factory with a Celeron and Win ME (Mistake Edition).  These two should have convinced you :)  Oh, you seem like a nice guy, but if you buy an emachine again, someone should have an intervention.  But I have faith that you too will see the light of open source.  Sorry for the excitement, but I'm a recent convert and have been kicking myself for not making the switch sooner.

In order above;

Home on the eMachine [Main Machine = desktop]
Pro on the Dell Latitude [Laptop]

I have no clue as to what to wish for .... [in the computer n00bies handbook it is my picture illustrating the "pre-computer ignoramus"]

MSCE ? [see above ...]

I am getting closer and closer to Ubuntu as we speak.
Junker is helping me stepXstep to get Ubuntu onto one [or both] of my machines and set up to access the Wolfenet when We get it up.

Myrkul....
The eMachine Computer mentioned came from pawn shop for $150 so am plenty happy with it's performance.
I get to surf the net, email, chat with folks that actually know how to run computers, etc.

Personal background rant {No PERSONAL animosity intended}
[[[ I don't play games, online except card games with computer but not online, and don't need to buy the newest item so I can brag to my coworkers about my Braingobbler-X-8000 with Genuine Snot Wiper and Butt Kicker.
Currently unemployed and a volunteer freedomista peasant.  I have no desire to sell my soul [or my body/time] for money to buy S%*t that doesn't assist in my actual physical survival.  I have lived in second hand clothes, trucks and everything else for over 20 years. [I do own a NEW Russell Canadian Pattern belt knife and I do buy under garments new .... ]
I see no reason to upgrade to a more expensive unit until it becomes NECESSARY.
To Me: it is not necessary yet. When this one dies I will go pawn shopping for a replacement. {Yes I do keep back ups on separate media} ]]]
END background rant

psysmic,

Thank you for your offer and I would gladly accept whatever you thought might enhance my 'puter.
I know how to do some things for it and I'm not nearly as unexperienced as I think I am in comparison to others my age.
It's one of those "the more I learn the more I learn there is to learn" situations.
I am very much interested in Ubuntu and want to shift over and off of windoze asa-[comfortably]-p .
Assistance geared to a Rank Beginner is Much Appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays

g

III
Pages: [1]   Go Up