The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Yes! I got Ubuntu working and on the Net...then I updated...no worky now  (Read 11091 times)

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead

I installed Ubuntu 6.06 on an old laptop (256mb/5gb) using a ethernet card that Ubuntu detected off the bat, I updated as there were some 130 updates available.

I originally used this laptop because the mouse pad was malfunctioning, the arrow "thought" that it was being touched, and it opened boxes all over the screen, at first with Ubuntu, that didn't happen, after I updated, it happened again.

Can I remove the updates or would a format and reinstall be the better choice?
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

Mr. Bill

Re: Yes! I got Ubuntu working and on the Net...then I updated...no worky now
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 06:43:16 pm »

I originally used this laptop because the mouse pad was malfunctioning, the arrow "thought" that it was being touched, and it opened boxes all over the screen, at first with Ubuntu, that didn't happen, after I updated, it happened again.

The way I see it, you've got a hardware problem with your mouse pad, the original install of Ubuntu 6.06 had a "defective" mousepad driver that didn't pick up all the bad stuff, and then you updated to a "corrected" driver which now sees all the hardware errors.

I don't know what to suggest.  It's probably only one of those 130 updates that "fixed" your mousepad, but which one?  And is it in some unimportant update that you can do without, or is it buried in the Linux kernel or in some other important component?

Any chance you can plug in a USB mouse, and disable the touchpad?

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:59:59 pm »

I could try a USB mouse, but the touchpad?

Not from Linux, in windows I could, I tried using an external mouse and no luck, it does the same thing as the touch pad does.

Format and then don't update?
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

Mr. Bill

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:08:06 pm »

Not from Linux, in windows I could, I tried using an external mouse and no luck, it does the same thing as the touch pad does.

An external mouse does the same thing as the touchpad?

Duh?  :huh:

Sorry, all out of ideas.  I suppose you could use the un-updated Ubuntu, but then you'd have 130 assorted bugs, including (I think) some security holes.

You want a newer Ubuntu?  I've got the live/install DVD's for 7.04 and 6.10 -- if your laptop has a DVD reader, I could mail you a disk.  (I never bothered downloading the CD versions, but you can get them from ubuntu.com if you have something faster than a modem connection.)  Of course, there's no real reason to think that 7.04 or 6.10 will work if 6.06+updates doesn't.

Anyone else have any ideas?

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:16:27 pm »

I have ubuntu 7.04, I like 6.06 because it is very simple to install and use and in it's stock form, reads my ethernet card.

I like Knoppix 5.05, but I cannot find my disk!

A format doesn't take very long on a 6 gd hd, so maybe tonight or this weekend I'll get it done and reinstall.

I thought that maybe the laptop had some sort of virus, but I fdisked/mbr, and it ran fine in stock Ubuntu, so your driver idea was probably correct.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 01:31:33 am »

the original install of Ubuntu 6.06 had a "defective" mousepad driver that didn't pick up all the bad stuff, and then you updated to a "corrected" driver which now sees all the hardware errors.

Or they "broke" that particular driver in the new version.....and that's pretty common on "cutting edge" distributions.....
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Lazarus Long

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 01:57:25 am »

If you don't mind using an external mouse, go into the BIOS to see if you can disable the touchpad there.

I used to have a Dell laptop with a touchpad/pointer combo that was... possessed? The touchpad manufacturer kept updating the Windows driver for it, but never did get it quite right. On a good day, the touchpad caused the cursor to drift gently along on some random vector. On a bad day, it would turn the cursor into a berserker. It got worse as time went on, even after I switched to using SuSE and then Xubuntu on that machine.

I was able to turn the entire built-in touchpad/pointer assembly off in the BIOS, and then the external mouse worked fine. YMMV.
"Whatever is funny is subversive, every joke is ultimately a custard pie... a dirty joke is... a sort of mental revolution." - Orwell

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 03:03:26 am »

If you don't mind using an external mouse, go into the BIOS to see if you can disable the touchpad there.

I used to have a Dell laptop with a touchpad/pointer combo that was... possessed? The touchpad manufacturer kept updating the Windows driver for it, but never did get it quite right. On a good day, the touchpad caused the cursor to drift gently along on some random vector. On a bad day, it would turn the cursor into a berserker. It got worse as time went on, even after I switched to using SuSE and then Xubuntu on that machine.

I was able to turn the entire built-in touchpad/pointer assembly off in the BIOS, and then the external mouse worked fine. YMMV.

What model Dell?  I have exactly that same problem with this Dell here.  If I allow the internal touchpad stuff to work it keeps on acting like it's been clicked on,  all sorts of inconvenient times and places.  There's a setting in the BIOS setup that says "if an external mouse is plugged in then disable the touchpad" vs. "let 'em both work" and I chose the former,  and am using an external mouse with it.  And in fact an external keyboard too,  since for some reason the internal keyboard quit working on me a while back...

I really need to build another workstation computer,  or re-build the one I'd been using,  if I can figure out in which box the boards that were in it got put,  and stop with using this laptop altogether.  Though it is *so* convenient in some ways...  :-)

Oh,  and FWIW,  I don't think the distro makes a whole lot of difference.  This had *no* OS on it when I got it (the previous owner had wiped the drive),  and I tried a whole bunch of different ones on it before I went ahead and stuck Slackware on it,  which is what I'm running on the rest of my boxes here.  They *all* exhibited the same behavior,  more or less working most of the time,  and occasionally acting like one of the buttons was pressed.  <shrug>

I get another workstation going,  I get back to work,  I'm gonna start looking around for another laptop,  maybe...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 05:48:11 am »

I'll try changing settings in the Bios first, then if that doesn't do the trick, I'll try the Usb mouse.

These old laptops can be fun, but they are quirky. I've got two old Gateways one the touchpad won't work (this one) and the other one will not boot from a CD period, change the boot order in the Bios and it doesn't make a any difference.

Then I have that old Compaq that I put XP on, but with 64mb of memory, I had to reformat.

I do know that if i put winme on one more computer I think I'll get sick, I've used that OS for so long I cannot stand it anymore.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

Lazarus Long

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 07:50:29 am »

I used to have a Dell laptop with a touchpad/pointer combo that was... possessed? [SNIP]

What model Dell?

Inspiron 8100. Supposedly Dell used a different touchpad model for the nearly identical 8200, which made a big difference.

I babied the 8100, but things were always breaking on it. I've had my second-hand Thinkpad for a couple of years now, and it's required zero maintainence beyond cleaning.

I'll try changing settings in the Bios first, then if that doesn't do the trick, I'll try the Usb mouse.

I always try to use a PS/2 mouse when there's a port available on the computer, rather than USB, simply because the PS/2 port isn't good for anything else, and it frees up a USB port for something else. But IIRC, if I turned the touchpad off in the BIOS on my old Dell notebook, it would disable the PS/2 port as well. Or was the PS/2 port just bad? I can't recall for sure, but I have the feeling that disabling the touchpad in BIOS took the PS/2 port down too.
"Whatever is funny is subversive, every joke is ultimately a custard pie... a dirty joke is... a sort of mental revolution." - Orwell

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 05:30:02 pm »

In my case, BOTh the touchpad and the PS/2 port are not functioning correctly, I do have a PS/2 port to USB adaptor that I can try the mouse on.

Otherwise I have 2 USB ports anyway so the mouse has plenty of room to fit.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

Roy J. Tellason

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 10:05:49 pm »

I used to have a Dell laptop with a touchpad/pointer combo that was... possessed? [SNIP]

What model Dell?

Inspiron 8100. Supposedly Dell used a different touchpad model for the nearly identical 8200, which made a big difference.

This one's a 5000.

I babied the 8100, but things were always breaking on it. I've had my second-hand Thinkpad for a couple of years now, and it's required zero maintainence beyond cleaning.

I've got one of those too and it's giving me fits.  A 760xl (?),  I think?  I forget what you have to hit to get into any sort of BIOS stuff but banging away enough gets you into a completely graphical setup,  where there's no option to book off anything but one of several floppies (there isn't even one in there) or one of several HDs (there's only one),  but none to boot off the CD.  I'd originally thought about putting linux on that box to replace the 98 that's on there,  but...

So I finally get a hold of another PCMCIA network card,  and it needs drivers.  Hm.  Another family member found the right one,  downloaded it,  and burned it on a CD,  which got it into the machine.  It dosn't seem to matter much that I have the right driver installed now because windoze complains that there's no IRQ for it and that I need to set that up in the BIOS.

About the only other stuff you can get into in that graphical stuff they give you is some crude diagnostics.  The "system board" gives some errors,  but I have no idea what they're trying to tell me here.  I was hoping I could get her online with that box,  but it's not looking too likely..

About the only thing I can think of at this point is to try the other slot,  see if that makes any difference.  And get to work on building her that desktop machine,  something I've been putting off a while.

I always try to use a PS/2 mouse when there's a port available on the computer, rather than USB, simply because the PS/2 port isn't good for anything else, and it frees up a USB port for something else. But IIRC, if I turned the touchpad off in the BIOS on my old Dell notebook, it would disable the PS/2 port as well. Or was the PS/2 port just bad? I can't recall for sure, but I have the feeling that disabling the touchpad in BIOS took the PS/2 port down too.

The options on this box are to disable the internal stuff *if* it finds an external pointing device (meaning a mouse plugged into the PS2 port) or to leave it enabled so you can use both,  if you want to.  I've got the former setting in effect here.  Then the damn keyboard quit on me.  I could plug either one into that port but there's only the one port.  Eventually I had to get a Y-adapter to plug in there,  and that's what I'm using now.

I have a couple of USB ports on this thing,  and didn't have *anything* that'd use 'em,  until just a while ago I got a hold of an external drive that'll do CDRW and DVD-R,  which is handy as I have some DVDs here that a guy sent me and no way to do much of anything with 'em until I got that.  But so far that's the *only* USB device I have here.  I know that's what everything is coming with these days,  but I ain't buying stuff mostly,  so...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 10:14:36 pm »

It took me forever to get my Dell latitude to work with a wireless card, that was a serious PITA as I had done work to that darn thing.

Dell did have their entire line of drivers available for download, maybe that could help your situation RJT?

And why not use a ethernet card to connect to the net and just download directly to your laptop?

"If" I knew the keyboard shortcuts for Ubuntu, I could work with the thing, but none of my Linux books have those listed, and the Ubuntu forums are strange to navigate. Unlike Windoze, ubuntu just drops old distros and if your question wasn't asked and answered, then you are out of luck as they have moved on to the "next" distro.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

Lazarus Long

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 11:26:32 pm »

"If" I knew the keyboard shortcuts for Ubuntu, I could work with the thing, but none of my Linux books have those listed, and the Ubuntu forums are strange to navigate.

If you're using straight Ubuntu (not Kubuntu or Xubuntu) then the window manager is GNOME. You can find a list of some keyboard shortcuts for that here. And another list here.

Found those by googling "gnome linux keyboard shortcuts".  When looking for support docs, it helps to remember that most things relating to the user interface in linux - besides the console - are part of the window manager. So use the name of the window manager (GNOME, KDE, fluxbox, etc.) in your search.

Roy J. Tellason

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 12:40:53 am »

It took me forever to get my Dell latitude to work with a wireless card, that was a serious PITA as I had done work to that darn thing.

Dell did have their entire line of drivers available for download, maybe that could help your situation RJT?

I don't think that the driver is the issue,  really.  There was that dos-based diagnostic and setup program that I ran, which ran way better when I restarted 98 into dos mode,  and it _did_ set up an i/o address range and an IRQ for that card,  but what windoze had in its setup was totally different for the i/o address range and it seemed to think that the card didn't have any IRQ assigned to it at all.  So something is screwed up in there somewhere,  perhaps some trace of whatever the previous card was,  or similar.  I can't even manually change that stuff where it seems to be indicating that I should be able to.

And why not use a ethernet card to connect to the net and just download directly to your laptop?

This *is* an ethernet card.  The stuff I got for it is from 3com.  It's Dell-branded on the front,  but uses a 3com chipset inside,  and the software did recognize and deal properly with what's in there.  In dos,  anyhow.

"If" I knew the keyboard shortcuts for Ubuntu, I could work with the thing, but none of my Linux books have those listed, and the Ubuntu forums are strange to navigate. Unlike Windoze, ubuntu just drops old distros and if your question wasn't asked and answered, then you are out of luck as they have moved on to the "next" distro.

Ugh.  That's a real dumb move on their part...

But keyboard shortcuts?  That's not something that changes all that much from one version of stuff to another.  And in a lot of cases you can get at them by way of configuration options...
--
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up