The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Onlien Degrees, are they worthwhile?  (Read 13332 times)

DrillSgtK

Re: Onlien Degrees, are they worthwhile?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 08:21:28 am »

I got my Associate Degree on line from SUNY Farmingdale. One of the State Colleges in New York. Since I'm a "resident" of the state (they get my taxes), I got the in-state rate. I took classes from them while in Alaska, Florida, Texas, Colorado, Virgina and Maryland all in one semester.

I like the on line class method as it lets me pick when to "go to class". It does take some discipline to make sure you meet the assignment requirements.

I have also found that these days you can find that most colleges offer on line classes and degree programs. Two of the civilians in my office are taking on line classes at the local Community College. One is going to get her degree this year and only went to the school to test out of some classes.

One nice thing about checking with your local college is you can talk to someone locally and even stop by for an in person visit if needed. (trying to fix a billing issue when in Texas, with an office in NYC is not easy.)

NuclearDruid

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 09:17:36 am »

Not on-line, but this Business Week article may be of interest to some here.

Pssst! Wanna Go to College for Free?

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

JohnGalt

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 09:58:38 pm »

Speaking as someone who has been on the employer side of the desk: I can safely say that job applicants with online "degrees" are extremely frustrating.  I am a computer programmer and have participated in the hiring process for my company for a few other employees.  The people I have interviewed with online degrees have been universally subpar.  My boss actually hired such an applicant against my advice.  The guy lasted about two weeks and quit because the required knowledge for the job was completely over his head.  I have since (justifiably) acquired a significant bias toward all online degrees.

It pretty much boils down to two issues.  Most online degrees just don't cover basic material (at least not for Computer Science).  The other issue is that online degrees are inherently flawed.  Part of what you gain from a traditional degree is the proof that you have the basic discipline to get off the couch and get to class on a daily basis.  Online degrees allow you to cover the material without proving the discipline to show up on time, every day.  That's not to say that because you have an online degree you don't have the discipline.  But in my business experience, online degree holders just can't compete with traditional degrees.

Sorry for the harsh point of view.  But it only comes from repeated bad experiences with online degree holders...

fred.greek

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 11:12:16 pm »

If there is a “brick and mortar” college you would like to attend, check their policy on credit by examination.  I’ve noted “most” seem to be willing to let you transfer in up to 60 credits (2 years) based on tests such as ACT, CLEP, PEP, DANTES(military), GRE subjects… 

With the right institutions, it is possible to earn a bachelor level degree without ever setting foot inside a college.  A few… decades ago… I earned my undergraduate via tests, while underway on a USCG icebreaker… Got me into OCS, and later law school. 

The three “primary” institutions who do such are Excelsior (Regents of New York), Charter Oak (Regents of Connecticut) and Thomas A Edison University (Regents of New Jersey).  These three are the actual state governments, with the same authority as any other degree from within that state. 

Study at home, use the web, take a test, and get college credits
Retired, but still working in the garden...

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 11:42:50 pm »

Speaking as someone who has been on the employer side of the desk: I can safely say that job applicants with online "degrees" are extremely frustrating.  I am a computer programmer and have participated in the hiring process for my company for a few other employees.  The people I have interviewed with online degrees have been universally subpar.  My boss actually hired such an applicant against my advice.  The guy lasted about two weeks and quit because the required knowledge for the job was completely over his head.  I have since (justifiably) acquired a significant bias toward all online degrees.

It pretty much boils down to two issues.  Most online degrees just don't cover basic material (at least not for Computer Science).  The other issue is that online degrees are inherently flawed.  Part of what you gain from a traditional degree is the proof that you have the basic discipline to get off the couch and get to class on a daily basis.  Online degrees allow you to cover the material without proving the discipline to show up on time, every day.  That's not to say that because you have an online degree you don't have the discipline.  But in my business experience, online degree holders just can't compete with traditional degrees.

Sorry for the harsh point of view.  But it only comes from repeated bad experiences with online degree holders...

A good point in support would be "Onlien Degrees" in the OP..oh boy, I'll never leave that one down.

Odd though, most employers typically have a pre hire test of basic knowledge or just a probationary period?

Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 06:12:20 am »

My experience is a test for a government job, probationary period for civil sector.  I would work with the probationary period myself, who knows? the guy mat really know the job and has an online degree as a short cut.  There is only 1 way to tell, really.........   If I could get away with it I would ask for "trade sample"- a computer the guy built from scratch, or have him Configure a subnet while looking over his shoulder..........   A lot of mechanics have a "hobby car" that would be a showcase of their work............

There is more than one way to find a quality employee, the problem is hanging on to them after they finally get their "certificates" which is why most companies want those upfront, training and new hire costs probably drop when a person already has their "papers".
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up