The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Onlien Degrees, are they worthwhile?  (Read 13320 times)

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
Onlien Degrees, are they worthwhile?
« on: September 24, 2007, 08:59:45 pm »

I have been looking for an online University that offers fully accredited degrees, they also have to allow the transfer of credit from things like Dantes and the College Credit Bank so I don't have to pay for the same class twice.

Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

spatter

Re: Onlien Degrees, are they worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 11:41:24 pm »

My sister-in-law got her degree from the University of Phoenix last year.  She now has a new job and couldn't be happier.

Spatter
It's the Government's job to print the money, deliver the mail and declare war. Now give me my cigarettes.

Florence King

gypsymom

Re: Online Degrees, are they worthwhile?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 01:49:47 am »

Padre29, I've started with University of Phoenix in June.  I think it's great.  Very flexible.  As for transfer of credits, you might have to do some more research online.  UoP/Axia College allows a person to apply prior learning or experience to substitute for some classes.  Not all online college/universities are equal.  Each have their own set of standards.  I didn't have any credits to transfer, so I have 18+ mos. classes to go. 

Though I think that distance learning of today is a great way to fit into the busy adult schedules.

gypsymom :)

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 03:22:55 am »

Make sure you do not pick a "diploma factory" companies have learned to recognize those, and do not value them for much.  I think univerity of phoenix is a real acreddited school, just make sure that is the case whoever you pick.  I know Embry-Riddle is a recognized aircraft technical college that has distance learning.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Dare2BFree

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 06:15:35 am »

Capella University is another like Univ of Phoenix.
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:08:35 am »

Seems like a business opportunity to me. "University of Life"  We allow full credit for your life experiences. Degrees applicable when seeking employment, life partners, roomates, entrance to Galt's Gulch and many other practical applications.  I might add this to my ToDo list.  But if you beat me to it, I'll apply for a degree.

Perhaps, Padre, your first class could be typing, spelling or proofreading.  The word "onlien"  in the thread title was talking to me.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 09:13:30 am »

Perhaps, Padre, your first class could be typing, spelling or proofreading.  The word "onlien"  in the thread title was talking to me.

My fingers have dsylexia.......
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

slidemansailor

• The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 09:26:03 am »

That puts yours one up (or is that ten up?) on mine - they have to do everything by braille.... which has pros and cons when you are getting to know new people.

khagler

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 01:27:36 pm »

Make sure you do not pick a "diploma factory" companies have learned to recognize those, and do not value them for much.  I think univerity of phoenix is a real acreddited school, just make sure that is the case whoever you pick.  I know Embry-Riddle is a recognized aircraft technical college that has distance learning.

I don't know about distance learning, but Embry-Riddle is a real college in Prescott, Arizona. They have a pretty good reputation, to hear people in Prescott tell it.  ;-)

Dana

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 10:19:08 pm »

I hear they're even offering Ivy league degrees online these days.... :laugh:

slidemansailor

• The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 10:05:46 pm »

Gotta bump this back up.  Mrs Sailor is considering an online degree.  I'd like advice.  U of Phoenix sounds a skosh expensive, but the commute is great, you can pack while in class and clothes are optional.

Dare2BFree

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 06:55:55 am »

sms - Univ of Phoenix is one of the more expensive ones out there.  I finished my Business degree with Capella Univ.  The cost was less than UoP and the instructors were pretty good too.

There was also a place out of Florida that someone I know used - St. Leo's.  It was a Catholic college, but the person who was using it was very happy with his experience there. 
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
Re: Online Degrees, are they worthwhile?
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 07:20:46 am »

Alright, I found my copy of Bear's Guide to College Degrees by Mail & Internet and it turns out that they have a online forum that appears to be very active:

http://online.degree.net/

And there are literally one hundred+ institutions with classes available online.

I'll have to sit down and write out a list of degree granting Colleges listed, and so far, the cehapest ones are overseas, and the ones that accept CLEP, DANTES and I haven't been able to find out if any of the colleges listed accept Credits from Excelsior College's Credit Bank system.

I must say that this is topic is much larger then I thought it would be.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

Lazarus Long

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 08:19:25 pm »

Back when I was considering making the investment to get a degree, I took a careful look at Excelsior College. I had already learned a trade from my dad by the time I was 20, and haven't needed a degree, so never went to the trouble of getting one. I generally go and learn what I need or want to learn on my own. The only reason I have since toyed with the idea of getting a degree was to facilitate working or teaching overseas in a country where a degree was required to get your foot in the door. Even for that, I would have gone the Excelsior College route, eliminating as many requirements as possible via self-study, plus CLEP tests. I would also have worked to get some credit through Excelsior for work and life experience.

The other distance university that I seriously considered when in my late teens was the University of London Extension. You could earn a batchelor's degree entirely by correspondence, with one final paper administered by a proxy somewhere. The reason I was so interested was because their degrees were internationally recognized - in fact, their academic standards were much more rigorous than those at American institutions - but they weren't liberal-style degrees. I.e. if your degree was in English Literature, you read and wrote about English literature and very little else for 4 years, like you would at Oxford or Cambridge. None of this silly rehashing of all the subjects you were supposed to have learned in high school.

Due to the nearly infinite scope of potential human learning, and a practical approach instilled in me from home schooling, I long ago lost my desire to stuff facts in my head to please other people. I have a very difficult time being interested in a subject if my sole purpose is passing a test. I have too much other stuff going on in my head and in my life for stuff learned that way to stick, which ultimately makes it a big waste of my time. I find the generalism of accredited American bachelor's degree programs highly off-putting.

I took one CLEP test, for a language that I had previously studied in a very unsystematic way, and practiced extensively in the field. Several years after the bulk of my studies were done, I brushed up by doing some sample tests from a CLEP study guide for that language. The sample tests were much harder than the real CLEP test I took afterwards, and I made a nearly perfect score. I don't think it's too hard to ace the CLEP tests if you know your fundamentals. With the foreign-language CLEP tests, a high score is worth 2 years / 4 semesters of classes, so if you're a self-motivated student, you could save some serious money by boning up with a $30 study guide and CLEP-ing out of as many subjects as possible.

On a similar note, as our children get into the high school years, I do plan to encourage them to follow up any standard subjects they study at home with a CLEP test immediately, in case they ever want the credit towards a degree. No point doing a chore twice when once will do.
"Whatever is funny is subversive, every joke is ultimately a custard pie... a dirty joke is... a sort of mental revolution." - Orwell

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 08:39:50 pm »

Well LL, to be fair you are a brain so to speak.... :laugh:

There is a path that uses UK distance learning to achieve American Bar certified status, in the UK their exists a LLM, a Master of Law degree, which in fact is higher then a typical US Judicial Doctor degree.

There also exists overseas RNA and CNA options.

Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up