The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tinfoil Hat Linux  (Read 11097 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2003, 07:35:07 pm »

tar:   Tape ARchive command. Create and read tar files
  x:   Extract (read) the tar file
  v:   Verbose. Tell me what your doing.
  z:  Heck if I know.
  f:   Next argument is the name of the device to read to get the file.

Now if you buy me a beer the next time I get to Hardyville, I'll explain why you need all of that gibberish, and why you
should be happy that you have that much control.  :rolleyes:

Thanks, Bear. I knew all that gobbledegook had to mean something. I owe you a beer next time you're in Hardyville. We'll drink a toast to the statue of the Drunken Cowboy. And if you're really nice to me, I *won't* take you to the Hog Trough for chicken-fried steak. ;)

On that "z" part, you're a man after my own heart.

I finally looked it up: "The -z option tells tar to run hejaz.tar.gz through gunzip first."

So now we're all that much smarter.  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 07:38:26 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

enemyofthestate

• Banned
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2003, 08:42:16 pm »

me: "My name's Bear, and I've been a UNIX user for 23 years."
group: "Hi Bear, we're glad your here..."

tar:   Tape ARchive command. Create and read tar files
  x:   Extract (read) the tar file
  v:   Verbose. Tell me what your doing.
  z:  Heck if I know.
  f:   Next argument is the name of the device to read to get the file.

The 'z' with 'x' means the file was compressed before writing to tape/drive and has to be uncomressed before extracting the separate component files in the archive.   Using the 'z' with 'c' means to compress the file.  Both the compression and the uncompression are done "on-the-fly."

Files with a 'tar.gz' or 'tgz' are usually tar'ed and gzip'ed.

BTW, a lot of tar files are coming with an RPM spec file included and, if you have a current version of rpm, you can build installable files easily:

rpmbuild -tba <file-version>.tar.gz

This is not standard practice yet but is getting more common.  I don't use the GUI tools so I don't know if they can do this yet.

Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Bear

• Curious Bear
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2003, 08:44:47 pm »

On that "z" part, you're a man after my own heart.

Lo, those many years ago when I learned at the foot of the master, and Greatful Deadhead,
he said unto me:

"All knowledge falls into 3 piles. Stuff you must know, stuff you must understand but
    can look up the details, and stuff you have to figure out when you get to it. Don't try to memorize
    everything - you can't. Just figure out which pile it fits into and live with it."

We were talking about computers, but I think it applies to a lot of things.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Docliberty

Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2003, 10:18:49 pm »

Or if you're the rich kind of doctor, buy one of Wal-Mart's  inexpensive computers ($200 and up) that come
pre-installed with Linux.

Sorry Claire,  I'm one of those Chiropractor fellas.  The regular doctors look at us like the red-headed step child at the family reunion, and since we don't prescribe drugs, no big incentives (read bribes) from the drug companies. :D   Besides, four kids tend to eat up a lot of the profits.

Thanks for the advice.  My usual way to start is to get the software and a "for Dummies" book and start to climb the learning curve secure in the knowledge that I can't really destroy any hardware.:rolleyes:  I appreciate hearing the voice of experience.  (BTW My wife and I love your book "101 things to do...".  Going to have to get the rest some day.)

Bear,  let me know your favorite brew and I'll have the bartender order up a keg with two straws.  (Three if Claire wants to join us)
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

enemyofthestate

• Banned
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2003, 12:10:21 am »

If that's what you're doing, enemyofthestate, then thanks and maybe somebody else would like to take you up on it?
I am not above helping people -- within reason of course.  I've installed Linux on dozens of machines including several laptops so I have a pretty good idea of what mistakes to avoid.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others

Dana

Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2003, 12:55:38 am »

A general comment on the compatibility of apps: Compatibility between Linux apps and Windows apps is gradually increasing. And software that lets you run Windows programs on Linux is (slowwwwwly) improving. The two big Linux office programs, OpenOffice (freeware) and StarOffice ($ware) are almost entirely compatible with MS Office, except for occasional formatting isues.

I don't know whether Adobe makes software for Linux -- but at least three pdf readers came with Mandrake that present Adobe-created documents just fine.

And I'd put The GIMP (freeware) up against PhotoShop, any day.

There are Real Players, Flash plug-ins, great mail readers, audio programs, a wide selection of browsers, etc. for Linux. A few years ago, Linux was weak in the CAD area, but CAD folks assure me that's changed now. The ONLY big lack, in my experience, is a QuickTime player for Linux. (There are QuickTime development tools, but no player for us ordinary folks.) An awful lot of online movies are either in QuickTime or Windows Media format ... and they're the only reason I ever boot to the Windows side of my desktop machine.

On Windows compatibility:

You can run Windows itself within a window under Linux using a product called VMWare Workstation.  Because you're running an actual copy of Microsoft Windows (any flavor you prefer - 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/etc.) compatibility with Windows applications is essentially perfect.  As long as your machine is powerful enough, it is rock solid.

If you can afford it, VMware is (IMHO) the answer for that last Windows application you can't give up that doesn't have a Linux equivalent.  The major downside is cost ($299), although if you just want to check it out, you can get a free 30-day evaluation license and download a copy from the 'net.  You will also need an actual MS Windows CD, as you will need to install MS Windows from within VmWare.

It is much more elegant and convenient than dual-boot because you are running both Linux and Windows at the same time.

On PDF files:

While it's true that most modern Linux distros come with free PDF software, those that prefer the real thing can obtain a Linux version of Acrobat Reader from Adobe here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

On QuickTime:

MPlayer will play QuickTime files (and Windows Media files, and Real Player files, etc.) on Linux if you install the appropriate codecs.  Getting everything installed (including seamless browser plug-in support) is still not exactly plug-n-play though.  However, if you can get past the installation, it's perfectly usable by normal folks.  RPMs are available at http://ftp.falsehope.com/home/rathann/mplayer/.  Be prepared to install multiple RPMs with circular dependencies though (welcome to RPM hell!).

On Bandwidth:

All of the aforementioned software is many, many megabytes in size.  Although it took me only a few minutes for me to download on my luxurious broadband connection, you'll probably have to be very patient if you live in Hardyville and are stuck using one of those old-fashioned modem thingies.   If you live in Hardyville and would like a CD in the mail, email me with your favorite nearby snail-mail drop and I'll try to oblige you.

Hope this helps,

Dana

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2003, 12:09:53 pm »

Thanks, Dana! This *does* help!

You can run Windows itself within a window under Linux using a product called VMWare Workstation.  Because you're running an actual copy of Microsoft Windows (any flavor you prefer - 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/etc.) compatibility with Windows applications is essentially perfect.  As long as your machine is powerful enough, it is rock solid.

I had not heard that VMWare had come even close to perfection yet, but I trust that you know more than I do on that subject. There was a time I eagerly awaited any product that would let Windows apps run well under Linux, but now, unless I had an absolute need for flawless compatibility with some client's software, I wouldn't make the investment.

Still, for a lot of folks, I can see this as a good way to manage the transition.

MPlayer will play QuickTime files (and Windows Media files, and Real Player files, etc.) on Linux if you install the appropriate codecs.  Getting everything installed (including seamless browser plug-in support) is still not exactly plug-n-play though.  However, if you can get past the installation, it's perfectly usable by normal folks.  RPMs are available at http://ftp.falsehope.com/home/rathann/mplayer/.  Be prepared to install multiple RPMs with circular dependencies though (welcome to RPM hell!).

This is great! As long as we're talking RPMs, I'm pretty sure I can handle the dependencies. Maybe not enjoy the process, but handle it. And wow, to have a Quicktime and Windows Media player on Linux ... well, what more could anyone ever need?  ;)  
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Scarmiglione'

Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2003, 12:15:12 pm »

well, what more could anyone ever need?  ;)
<geek>

A six-demon bag?

</geek>

I've been to RPM hell.  I'd hoped to avoid it again.  It sounds like it might be somewhat better than the last time...
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2003, 12:16:38 pm »

All of the aforementioned software is many, many megabytes in size.  Although it took me only a few minutes for me to download on my luxurious broadband connection, you'll probably have to be very patient if you live in Hardyville and are stuck using one of those old-fashioned modem thingies.   If you live in Hardyville and would like a CD in the mail, email me with your favorite nearby snail-mail drop and I'll try to oblige you.

LOL, Dana, I missed this part of your message in my original reply. Thank you for the kind and diplomatic offer. I appreciate it very much. But when the mule that transports Hardyville's Internet service does manage to stagger over Lonely Heart Pass, believe it or not, he brings broadband! I am one lucky hermit.

Claire

debra

Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2003, 12:20:09 pm »

Hey Claire, if you do get Mplayer installed, you won't have any excuse not to watch "Treehouse of Horror VII".   ;)  

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2003, 01:33:58 pm »

<geek>

A six-demon bag?

</geek>

<non-geek>

A six-demon bag? A magic spell?

</non-geek> ... er, no, come to think of it <non-geek>

enemyofthestate

• Banned
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2003, 01:39:59 pm »

This is great! As long as we're talking RPMs, I'm pretty sure I can handle the dependencies. Maybe not enjoy the process, but handle it. And wow, to have a Quicktime and Windows Media player on Linux ... well, what more could anyone ever need?  ;)
The best way to handle circular dependencies in a set of packages is to put all the rpms together in a directroy with no other rpms then type:

# rpm -Uvh *.rpm

if root or

$ sudo rpm -Uvh *.rpm

if a normal user and you have sudo set up.

rpm will usually (ie 99% of the time) figure out the dependencies and act accordingly.

I'm going to load it on both laptops soon.  On mine to test it and on my wife's so she can watch her DVD's without rebooting to Windoze.

If successful I'll be adding the results to my web site: http://www.heronforge.net/linux.shtml
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 01:42:16 pm by enemyofthestate »
--Stephen Carville

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2003, 03:35:22 pm »

Circular dependancies?
installer programs?

Boy this stuff sounds complicated....
Maybe I better go watch webTV*LOL*
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2003, 04:00:43 pm »

Hey Claire, if you do get Mplayer installed, you won't have any excuse not to watch "Treehouse of Horror VII".   ;)
Do I need an excuse?

Nah, really. I'll watch. I'll watch. Really I will.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Tinfoil Hat Linux
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2003, 04:04:04 pm »

Circular dependancies?
installer programs?

Boy this stuff sounds complicated....
Maybe I better go watch webTV*LOL*
OH NO! The non-geeks and the geeks have combined to form one big gelatinous monster to drive all the other non-geeks away!

Don't run off, Zoot! Linux is *fun*. Really. Well. Most of the time. I mean ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up