« on: June 25, 2004, 11:09:12 pm »

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 12:46:48 pm by Ted Nielsen »

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Printing with Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 11:59:02 pm »

I swear by the oldest HP Laserjet you can lay your hands on*L*
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
Printing with Linux
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 01:10:31 am »

In my limited experience, the answer is "most of them, but not all of them"

Can you be more specific?  Are you looking for a laser printer? inkjet? dot matrix?

Cheap?  expensive?

I have had good luck with the cheapo Lexmark inkjets, and with high-end HP laser printers and plotters (preferably network printers with JetDirect cards).

My advice is to make up a "short list" of printers that will do what you want.  Then see if you can find any of them in the printer selection list of printerdrake.  Anything you find in there should be linux-kosher.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Printing with Linux
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 11:49:39 am »

Plinker,

The reason I mentioned the old HP Laserjets is because companies have been using those beasts for years and due to corporate penny pinching many IT folks have been driving these printers with Linux via "We don't care how, just make it work" .

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Printing with Linux
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 09:06:38 pm »

Just about any recent HP. I have an HP multifunction 2110x. Works great.

There's also this Web site: http://www.linuxprinting.org/ -- great help for choosing printers & learning some pitfalls.

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Ted Nielsen

Printing with Linux
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 04:43:57 pm »

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 12:46:33 pm by Ted Nielsen »
Pages: [1]   Go Up